Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any tools to write a script to automate s/w installations?

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2001, 12:08 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMS ?
Old 07 August 2001, 10:37 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Question

Does any one know if there is a way to create a script that will automatically complete various options dialog boxes when installing some software?

I need to write an installation manual for our users and there are about 20 different screen they need to complete with different options. Instead of writing a guide, I was wondering if there is a way to run the setup.exe program and have the options automatically competed, since they will be the same for each user.

Any ideas??
Old 07 August 2001, 11:36 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Script It - NT resource kit tool. But you have to leave it alone to do it's stuff. If the user opens a window or does anything to interrup it - it will stop.
You could use Veritas Wininistall - but It'll be xpensive.
Old 07 August 2001, 01:35 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

If the same options need selecting each time for all users, might be worth contacitng the software vensor and ask them to build you a custom install which is totally hands off.

This only works if you are a fairly big user of their software though.

Something we have done in the past is run a registry and file system monitor. Next, run the install in question. Then using the monitor logs, pull together all the files and registry changes necessary and write our own installer using Wise or InstallSheild.

This can be a bit of work, but we created a custom install of a well known major GIS package in about a day.

Cheers

Ian
Old 07 August 2001, 10:37 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easy...

Use AutoIT (www.hiddensoft.com)

As long as your client is using service pack 6 then you can use the block input command which basically disables the keyboard and mouse input!. I am using this to automatically register digital certificates as certain users login as all the users have a mandatory profile... (Can compile script to an exe as well!) Try to use the keboard to do everything ie ALT & N for Next..

SMS Installer is also very good but one slight snag... need sms. Think WISE Installer is very similar but without the bugs in the registry section.

What program is it you are trying to script, if it is a common one then a may have allready written a script to automate its installation or customisation. Done loads of stuff including Lotus Notes 5.05 ...

(Installshield apps can normally record the settings you choose when setting an app up to an ISS file which can then be read back into setup with a command line option.) Dont know which but type setup -? to find out.

Give me a shout if you get stuck.

David
Old 08 August 2001, 09:47 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Guys,

It's a software training package the shows the users how to use Word, Excel etc . Belive me, some of them need it... It's called Knowledgebank. The only problem is that it does not seem to use the standard dialog boxes, but has some fancy graphics. I;m not sure if any of the scripting tools will work with that.

I've looked for Script It on our PCs and the Microsoft web site but have not found it so far. We will be installing on WinNT SP4 and Win2000.

I've downloaded the AutoIt program and will try this out.

Thanks for everyones comments etc.

Old 08 August 2001, 09:51 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

why not use a product called PCUpdater?

it takes a snap shot of your pc before you do a software installation, you then do an install, and then pcupdater sees what difference are done, and creates a .exe (if u want it to) with the hole product.

All your users do, is double click and that is the product installed..
Old 08 August 2001, 01:29 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Sounds the same as sms installer...

You just have to be carefull about the pc you do the snapshot on, cos if dll files allready exist then they dont get added.. so when you come to install on new pc you are missing files... you also have to be carefull that you dont replace newer files with older ones.

David