Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Credit check for a job???

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2003, 03:18 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just been given a provisional offer for a job and i verbally accepted. The company (a bank) now want to perform a credit check on me.

Now I already know that my credit history is pretty shocking. I've was offered a job (in IT) at another bank only to have the offer cancelled because of my credit rating.

I'm just hoping that my credit rating will not affect this job i've been offered now. I actually contract for the bank at present and had my mortgage with them too. I've been chosen over hundreds of other applicants so are they likely to overlook my credit history or will i get another knock back for a technical post that i'm more than qualified for because i didn't pay my poll tax??

Is there some law that says you have to have a clear credit history to work for a bank??

Old 20 February 2003, 03:24 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I suppose it's a safeguard against you scamming them out of money. You also have to have a decent credit rating to get MOD security clearance -- I suppose if you're broke you're more susceptible to being bribed for secrets.
Old 20 February 2003, 03:28 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

So you reckon they think i'm a criminal because i have a shi+ credit rating?
Old 20 February 2003, 03:31 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

From my experience in the past one of the number 1 things is to be sure you're on the electoral register.
Old 20 February 2003, 03:32 PM
met
Scooby Regular

mate i have had plenty of candidates rejected for credit ratings, so it is standard, bloody harsh but standard. hope you get it sorted.
Old 20 February 2003, 03:34 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

So you reckon they think i'm a criminal because i have a shi+ credit rating?
No, but they reckon that if you have a history of financial problems you're more likely to end up in financial **** and be tempted to nick their money, either physically (if you work in a big cash office) or virtually (if you're involved in their IT ).
Old 20 February 2003, 03:42 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Personally i'd be more inclined to think "had financial problems before, worked hard, earned money, got them sorted".

Rather that than "had finacial problems before, will have them again and will turn into a thief"
Old 20 February 2003, 03:47 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I think banks are naturally paranoid as they're used to people trying to steal their cash.

I mean, IT-wise, it would be as simple to steal money from any company you worked for, if you had access to the bits of the network that did all the financial stuff.

But banks have traditionally had to safeguard against workers stealing the cash itself, so I assume they're wary of this sort of thing.
Old 20 February 2003, 03:48 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

As for the Electoral Role... I don't think i'm even on that. Between selling my last house and moving with my job i'm on my 5th house in the last year.
Old 20 February 2003, 03:50 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Get it sorted. Improves your credit rating no end.
Old 20 February 2003, 03:53 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Carl,

What's pi55ing me off right now is that i'm currently contracting for the same bank that offerend me the job. I have far more access now (and have had over the last 18 months) to the bank systems than i'd have in this new post.

I'm just pi55ed that i'm going to lose out on a good job, the bank are going to end up with their 2nd choice, all because of something that i don't even see as relevent to the job role.
Old 20 February 2003, 04:09 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Well they haven't turned you down yet
Of course I'm loathe to help you, as you've admitted to being a turncoat (contractor turned permie ). But get a copy of your credit record from Equifax and Experian (that's two companies, not one called E&E). I think it's £2.00 a go. There might be something on there that's plain wrong, and causing problems. I don't see how failure to pay the poll tax -- if you really mean the poll tax -- can affect you for this long, as the poll tax (community charge) was replaced a long time ago. Maybe you can persuade Equifax and Experian to remove this?

www.equifax.co.uk has some useful advice about what you can do ('Notice of Correction', etc.)
The other one's at www.experian.co.uk
I think there's a third one, but I can't remember their name

Edit -- the third one's Callcredit at www.callcredit.plc.uk

[Edited by carl - 2/20/2003 4:15:19 PM]
Old 20 February 2003, 04:19 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

What's pi55ing me off right now is that i'm currently contracting for the same bank that offerend me the job. I have far more access now (and have had over the last 18 months) to the bank systems than i'd have in this new post
If they do withdraw the offer then point this out to them as they may overlook it given you've already been working for them.

hopefully you'll be ok.
Old 20 February 2003, 04:20 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Wait for the result of their check & then explain your youthful over exuberance & how determined you are to recitify it, together with how hindsight is a wonderful thing, learning experience... etc......

D
Old 20 February 2003, 04:23 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I've tried equifax but i was between house moves at the time and they understandably wanted proof of my permanent address. I didn't have 2 months bills to send them so i guess i'll give them a try again with my current address.

As far as the credit rating goes... the only time it seems to cause me any problems is when i'm looking for another job. This will be the second decent job i'll have been offered and had withdrawn because of my credit rating.

I still fail to understand how my past credit rating affects my future financial prospects. I own both my cars outright, paid off my mortgage, have no store cards or credit cards and don't owe anything to anyone. Everything i have has been paid for.

To be honest i'd rather be in my position than having a sparkling credit history and owe £1000s on credit cards, £1000s on a car, £1000s on store cards.
Old 20 February 2003, 04:34 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I own both my cars outright, paid off my mortgage, have no store cards or credit cards and don't owe anything to anyone. Everything i have has been paid for.
Git!
In that case, there's probably something erroneous on your credit file you don't know about. I had a minor prang in a car park once, and after a long and drawn out process I got a letter about settlement of the third party's uninsured loss (i.e. their excess). I sent it to my insurance company to sort out, but apparently they didn't as I ended up with a CCJ! Managed to get it 'set aside' and removed from the credit history though.
Old 20 February 2003, 06:00 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I have no doubt that the marks on my credit history are there for a reason. I have two definite CCJs from the factor from my old property... ended up in court three times and i lost twice (won the third though). Both were settled there and then. I had a fair few missed direct debits too but again, they were all settled right away.

I know for a fact that i am absolutely hopeless with money (one reason for me being an engineer and not a banker)... so having a pi55 poor credit rating seems about right. I just didn't think it'd affect my career so much.