Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Glad I'm not flying anytime soon.
Old 13 February 2003, 09:07 PM
jonny32
Scooby Regular

How did he get on board?? to get to gatwick..
Old 13 February 2003, 09:14 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't surprise me. My sister (11yr old) got stopped when we entered the UK last summer when she forgot she had a nutcracker in her rucksack. No probs leaving the Czech Republic, but stopped at West Midlands airport when boarding the flight back up to Edinburgh.

At least the UK security is up to speed, but I blame BA for missing it. He could have blown up the plane in flight or on approach to the airport

Stefan
Old 13 February 2003, 09:27 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

My sister (11yr old) got stopped when we entered the UK last summer when she forgot she had a nutcracker in her rucksack.
Not quite the same as a grenade, though, is it?
Old 13 February 2003, 09:39 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

"Nail scissors, metal combs? In the bin here please. High explosive? No problem sir, move along..."

And who was the prat in the report who said "At least we pick these things up"? Er, I think you DIDN'T actually...
Old 13 February 2003, 10:13 PM
Luke
BANNED

Bit of a song and dance ONCE they had found it.... Its not dangerous until its primed/pin removed etc. Since most need a positive action to arm it I cant understand the threat from it after they found it.
Old 13 February 2003, 10:25 PM
P130J
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yeah and guns aren't dangerous until you pull the trigger.....
Old 13 February 2003, 10:26 PM
Luke
BANNED

As long as its loaded and the safety is off.........
Old 13 February 2003, 10:36 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

The bloody media are the ones that are scaring the general public due to stupidity, if the frigin reporters were actually clued up on what it takes to detonate a grenade and what damage it would actually do then there would be a lot less scared public.

they showed a report of a plane exploding and the reporter said this is what would happen if the grenade had gone off, what a load of crap.

I will shut up now before I get 2 wound up.
Old 13 February 2003, 10:38 PM
SilverSmith
Scooby Regular

OK I can see if you get stopped with a metal comb or nutcracker you have an excuse ...but a grenade... what do you say ?
"oops forgot I packed that"
"I'm a travelling grenade salesman"
"thought it was a novelty cigar lighter"
Old 13 February 2003, 11:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"if the frigin reporters were actually clued up on what it takes to detonate a grenade"

why would they? they are journos not bloody weapons experts. i wouldnt want to be on a plane when a grenade goes off.....would you?

T
Old 13 February 2003, 11:16 PM
P130J
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry Luke but you're barking up the wrong tree - an individual with a grenade in his bag on an airliner is, more than likely, a terrorist. In this day and age the security services don't have the time to stop him, offer him a cup of a tea and perhaps have a little chat about his propensity for carrying explosive devices in his hand luggage.
For all they know he had 12 mates on the same flight, all with grenades in their bags. One of them gets busted the rest go nuts and wipe out the Terminal 4 arrival hall.
Still I suppose that would be better than the police having to deal with charges of overreacting though

Wurzel, why would a grenade not have the potential to bring down an aircraft? A cigarette in a rubbish bin can so why not a fragmentary explosive device?

I'm no expert in grenades although I've chucked a few down a range or two in my day. I do know that in confined spaces they make in mess. I do know that they could easily bring down an aircraft.
As for pistols, again I don't know a great deal although I'm qualified on the Browning 9mm and at times like this often get given one to carry to "work" (**** all use it'll be though ).

I do sense that sadly the security services are in a lose-lose situation over all this.
Lots of them about, everyone just decries them as a publicity stunt for the possible forthcoming Iraqi festivities. None of them about, terrorist attack, people killed, same old whiners then start moaning about the lack of warning/security etc etc. I must say I really have read some gibberish on these pages over the last few days - I never knew there were so many anti-terrorist and airfield point defence experts out there
Notwithstanding your views on the Iraq situation, a few of you could really do with stopping clinging on to your conspiracy theories and perhaps face the fact that there are some nasty b@st@rds out there who would like nothing more than to see a bunch of Brits die horribly. Sorry but that’s a fact.
Old 13 February 2003, 11:19 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

yep
Old 14 February 2003, 12:37 AM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
P130J,agree with all that,especially last 2 paragraphs,absolutley spot on mate. I'm surprised no-one's said the hand grenade incident wasn't rigged by Cherie Blair or some such drivle. Wake up people ,terrorists are a reality,here and now,and they're looking to f**k us over, big time.

[Edited by matty01 - 2/14/2003 12:41:41 AM]
Old 14 February 2003, 08:30 AM
Luke
BANNED

"Bit of a song and dance ONCE they had found it.... Its not dangerous until its primed/pin removed etc. Since most need a positive action to arm it I cant understand the threat from it after they found Sorry Luke but you're barking up the wrong tree - an individual with a grenade in his bag on an airliner is, more than likely, a terrorist. In this day and age the security services don't have the time to stop him, offer him a cup of a tea and perhaps have a little chat about his propensity for carrying explosive devices in his hand luggage.
For all they know he had 12 mates on the same flight, all with grenades in their bags. One of them gets busted the rest go nuts and wipe out the Terminal 4 arrival hall.
Still I suppose that would be better than the police having to deal with charges of overreacting though "

If you read my post ..I am only talking about The grenade and what happened afterwards.... Sure check/search the rest.But they lost the plot on how to treat it or what to do with it. A lot of time was spent dealing with it...It should have been locked away and those who where "Dancing around" could have used their time better.

Old 14 February 2003, 08:40 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

As for security, i flew from Stanstead to Paderborn in Germany last week and it was only on the return flight that they stopped me taking my Gerber multi-tool in my laptop bag that i had forgot was there. I had to post it back !! Stanstead security didnt even see it !
Old 14 February 2003, 08:46 AM
Luke
BANNED

Saw a man been searched a few weeks ago. Biggest "Gerber" multi tool in his bag. Security let him take it on the plane. Well until I mentioned that it is against current aviation rules.

Most of the hired security at airports are muppets.
Old 14 February 2003, 09:03 AM
I_dont_giveafvk
Scooby Regular

question why did he not use it, why did he not ditch it

to sum up even more of thick ****e than me
Old 14 February 2003, 09:10 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I did not say it didn't have the potential to bring a plane down but maybe it did not come across so well, of course it would. What I meant was that it would not do as much damge as they had indicated. The general public relly on the news to get facts, surely it would make sense to get a report correct before reporting it no matter what the subject. In this particular case they showed an old archive footage of a plane exploding and being blown to bits on the ground.
Old 14 February 2003, 12:56 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

they would, IMHO, the cabin will be pressurised and would amplify the destructive force of the grenade, hence blowing to bits! if not any crash landing would still cause fatalities.

at least ppl are now more alert/paraniod which is a good thing in these troubled times esp UK is targeted.

ask yourself, for those who thinks it's not as detrsuctive as it seems, would you be in a plane when a grenade explodes?

Old 14 February 2003, 01:04 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

P130J

Thank you....... Sanity prevails at fecking last.