Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scottish Mountain-bikers

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2003, 04:40 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone here ride vaguely regularly in the Borders - in particular at Glentress Forest? Having found this superb place just a few miles from where we've moved to, I've dragged my Kona out of retirement, serviced it, and started riding again; I'm hideously unfit, but that's improving all the time.

Anyway, whilst I don't mind riding solo (there's always guys/gals out there to chat to, even during the week) it'd be nice to have some company now and again. I've seen a few Scoobs heading over there with various bikes on the roof or in the back, so if anyone goes there regularly and fancies meeting up once in a while, drop me a line.

That is, as long as you don't mind being seen with somebody on a bike whose components are 8 years old or more. On a trail the other day somebody asked me where I got my rims from - he pointed out that they've not sold Mavic Suns for at least half a decade.
Old 11 February 2003, 04:57 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

Somebody must want to joing MarkO??

Here's a picture of MarkO, his wife and mother-in-law. Look how pround he is of the bike. Help the bloke out

Old 11 February 2003, 04:59 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I don't mind riding solo
I say nothing

How's life treating you up there, anyhow?
Old 11 February 2003, 05:04 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Life's great up here. No work yet (well, no full-time job yet), so plenty of time for mountain-biking.
Old 11 February 2003, 05:31 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Im thinking doing scotland to newcastle at some point.

My bike needs a massive overhaul just dont have the time or energy tbh

Si
Old 12 February 2003, 02:59 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Talking

Allright mate,

Fraid I'm a bit of a fair weather biker, so won't be dustin off the bike for a while I'm afraid. Should have said you were a mountain biker and we would have told u about Glentress before you moved up. Theres a cracking trail about two miles south of Glentress as well,cant remember the name of it, but pay about a tenner and that gives you free lifts to the top all day, think you need to wear body armour on the course tho' as its a bit severe.

Anyway will keep u in mind mate next time I go down to Glentress.

Dougie
Old 14 February 2003, 10:47 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fraid I'm a bit of a fair weather biker, so won't be dustin off the bike for a while I'm afraid.
TBH, so am I - but since it's just around the corner and I'm totally unfit I thought I'd better get out a few times before the decent weather turned up.
Should have said you were a mountain biker and we would have told u about Glentress before you moved up.
Well, to a certain extent I wasn't, so I didn't mention it. I used to ride regularly (about 60 miles a week off-road) up until about 6 years ago. But the usual story occurred - me & the guy I rode with both met new girlfriends, and I started working in the City, and the available time (and motivation) just sort of ran out.

I'd have pitched in with the MTB threads on here, but all my kit (Kona CinderCone, RockShox Judys, 1997 XTR stuff, etc ) and experience is a bit old now, so I'd have just ended up getting jealous of all you lot with poncy Hope discs, etc., etc.
Theres a cracking trail about two miles south of Glentress as well,cant remember the name of it, but pay about a tenner and that gives you free lifts to the top all day, think you need to wear body armour on the course tho' as its a bit severe.
I've seen that - it's the European Championship downhill trail at Innerleithen, I think. Probably a bit too hard-core for me right now - as it's so long since I've ridden anything like that...
Anyway will keep u in mind mate next time I go down to Glentress.
Thanks. If you want, drop me a line and I'll give you my mobile number so you can text me if you're ever heading over this way.
Old 14 February 2003, 11:39 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Just had to take the bike in. Smashed the back wheel. Bearings completly crushed new hub and rim
Old 14 February 2003, 11:42 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

new jobs for you Mark

Bike repairs & become a tour guide

when you down next ?
Old 14 February 2003, 01:05 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

MarkO

Down there most weekends....although years ago used to really enjoy it but now with all the new trails it's more like cycling down Princess Street on a Saturday afternoon

If you see a DBM V reg 4dr in the carpark then it's prob mine
Old 14 February 2003, 01:34 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

SiPie - you should try going during the week, it's deserted then. The joys of not working (or, more accurately as of yesterday, the joys of working from home).

I might have seen you then a couple of weekends ago - I'm sure I saw a DBM one on the way there. Likewise, if you see a Silver 3.0L X-Type Jag or possibly a metallic sky blue Pug 306, that'll probably be me.

Barge - no plans to come down in the near future. But when I do, you'll be the first to know.
Old 14 February 2003, 01:42 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MarkO

Could have been me....

Yeah, know what you mean with it being quieter during the week....

I'm busy this weekend but e-mail me during the week (work e-mail only ) if you fancy meeting up any weekend and we could arrange to meet at Glentress.....

Level of fitness ain't what it used to be so we could just have a 'gentle cycle'........ say... "3 times round the black route"

Cheers
Si
Old 14 February 2003, 01:53 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm busy this weekend but e-mail me during the week (work e-mail only ) if you fancy meeting up any weekend and we could arrange to meet at Glentress.....
Okay. Or you could text me - 07771 790555.
Level of fitness ain't what it used to be so we could just have a 'gentle cycle'........ say... "3 times round the black route"
Erm, or perhaps not - my level of fitness is, well, 'zero'. I just about make it up to the Buzzard's Nest car park on the red route without having a coronary.

As long as you bring a book to read whilst I catch up, we'll be fine.
Old 14 February 2003, 02:03 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I'm at the same level of fitness as you Mark - going out on the Thames Valley cycle route this Sun with the missus. Hope it doesn't lead to any arguments - she's told me that she can't stand up out of the seat!!
Old 15 February 2003, 05:41 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well, I went out today and did the biggest ride I've done so far this year - the whole Red route.

Couple of guys I met before took me out and showed me the route. Bloody hell, I ache today, but WOW are the single-tracks down from the very top of the red route something else!?! Did the X-trail too, although I need to get a bit of confidence up for that, I think. And we even did a bit of the black run single-track, which was hard work but very satisfying....

The fitness is definitely getting there, too.

[Edited by MarkO - 2/15/2003 5:44:04 PM]