Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

overtaking in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 06:25 PM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many of you have been in a row of traffic because of some old geezer doing 30 in 50 zone say ,,,,,,, the drivers in front wont/cant overtake , you see a gap in oncoming traffic ,but its only big enough gap for you to overtake 1 or 2 cars at most and the geezer is say 6 or 7 cars infront , but the the cars in front are so close you wouldnt be able to pull back in safely ,

Now when I did my test ( a few years ago ) the highway code book stated " you must leave enough gap between you and car infront to allow a overtaking to pull infront of you "

does that rule still stand ?
Old 05 February 2003, 06:39 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

It does stand but people don't heed it,if you feel competent/brash/pushy enough just overtake and "push in" but this is not for the fainthearted,otherwise sit back, go , and fiddle with radio etc...(ps to most people driving is merely a form of transport not an interest,don't expect too much from them[not condecending])
Old 05 February 2003, 06:43 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I witness it happening on virtually every country road I have been on, during rush hour

and not necessarily by me

Old 05 February 2003, 06:48 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

if only half of the people drove to the highway code!!!

like driving at 40 mph on the outside lane of the motorway causing a massive tailback

or giving way to the right on a roundabout
Old 05 February 2003, 08:44 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

just overtake all 7 car in one go
Old 05 February 2003, 08:59 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Following about 7 cars one day nobody wanted to overtake the at the front doing 40, so I waited till there was a nice a decent view nowt coming indicated to car infront of I was overtaking.

Started my manouver accelerated to overtake with enuff time to be safe, got past 5 cars no prob by now was doing about 80 as I approached the last but 1 car and bout 400 yards from a junction to turn left ( I had looked down said junction all clear nobody about to pull into the lane which I'm travelling in ) I looked back had eye contact with last but 1 car with driver in his rearview who's still only doing 40 and he just pulled out infront of me. I'm know he saw me coz we had eye contact, at which point I lifted off just incase AND BLOODY HELL WOT A ****, **** where am I gonna go.

Thank god the right hand verge was just grass and about 20feet wide...

I passed him on the grass as he'd taken up my chosen line, almost haging out of the passenger window fingers aloft.

I then managed to create a trafic jam as i got back onto road and just locked the lot up and stopped in middle of road.

To say I had a few words would be un understatement. Geezer gets out of his car screaming at me being a lunatic. Bloke and wife get out of car following him and layed into him for being a dithering old sod and why the hell did'nt he overtake the slow moving car earlier instead of trying to cause and accident. I was well shocked coz I thought they all gonna lay into me for overtaking in the first place,

dazza
Old 08 February 2003, 02:28 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

I tend to have a slightly different problem, as a new driver I can't afford to speed, I get a max of 6 points in my first 2 year of driving...only another 101 weeks and 3 days until its "normal".
Anyway, the number of people I encounter driving right on my bumper while i'm at 29 in a 30, overtaking on crossings or total idiots driving with their fog light on in the middle of the day is unbelievable.

Don't even get me started on the way learners are treated!!!

Cheers
Old 08 February 2003, 11:29 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
J.r-xrs,sad innit..putting a green 'P'(or'L'is it..) plate on the back should back them off a bit.."should" .....take it easy and be observant and try to predict others actions and you should be ok ....enjoy
'Mass' overtakes are dodgy at the best of times and i used to have to be very carefull on the Fireblade not to catch people out (ie. one sec. you're in line doing same speed 4/5 cars back next sec. you're doing 50 mph more than them on the otherside of the road alongside them..we may be highly-focused and 'dialed in' but chances are they won't be.And no,people don't like bieng overtaken....
Old 08 February 2003, 11:42 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I always make sure i give learners space, but i wish every single learner in my town would not use our road to practice 3 point turns!!!

Andy
Old 08 February 2003, 11:43 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Personally I find left foot breaking very effect...the first time anyway.

Cheers
Old 08 February 2003, 11:49 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

Andy, tell me about we regularly have 3 - 5 point turns, left reverse corners and emergency stops, it makes walking interesting however I got used to it. Plus it gave me great practice facilities right outside the front door

Even now 3 weeks after passing I find my self saying “I was like that once”

Cheers
Old 08 February 2003, 11:56 PM
Jye_0
BANNED

I never overtake. Makes the car wobble.
Old 02 May 2003, 08:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
im bad for that when im in the car on my own, peak traffic is bad enough without having to sit behind people dawdling along the road

beware some police woman tried to do me for unescesary over taking as your not supposed to overtake if the traffic is moving along smoothly

[Edited by stevebt - 2/5/2003 8:34:37 PM]
Old 02 August 2003, 02:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is very frustrating to have to follow slow cars on a derestricted road. It happens all the time around my area, we have narrow roads but even though it is perfectly safe to drive at the legal speed limit of 60 mph, most people prefer to drive at about 30-40 mph. The roads are twisty and it is difficult to find safe places to overtake. As MATT1 said, most people are only interested in using the car to get from A to B and dont want to drive faster. They also have a perfect right to drive at those slower speeds as long as they are not obstructing anyone. I find I just have to accept the situation and wait for a safe place to overtake if there is one. There seems to be an inbuilt objection to anyone overtaking as well and there is often a load of waving and jumping up and down going on regardless of the fact that the overtaking manoeuvre was carried out safely and without inconveniencing anyone.

I know how Dazz etc must have felt by being deliberately obstructed while overtaking that bunch of cars. You were lucky to get away with that one and it must have been done to you deliberately. I have learned that if you do attempt a multi overtake like that you are likely to get some kind of similar treatment and I now bottle the impatience and wait for the next opportunity. Ten to one if there was an accident caused by the obstructing driver the others would gang up on you and you would get it in the neck. Glad you had a bit of grass available to miss him.

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 2/8/2003 2:06:35 PM]
Old 02 August 2003, 11:39 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

No, those green P and L stickers only seem to advertise you are a learner without the instructor, and people treat you as a "must pass at all costs" obstruction.

NOTE! I DONT do that, but my dad does

[Edited by RaZe-=Buzz=- - 2/8/2003 11:39:50 PM]