Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Getting a motorbike licence.

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2001, 12:28 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD,

The best way to find a training company that offers intensive courses is to buy a copy of Motorcycle News (MCN) from a local newsagent and look through this. It comes with a pull out section that contains information on bikes for sale, along with insurance companies, training schools, etc.

Realistically once you've passed a Direct Access course you should be able to handle any motorbike, but this obviously depends on a number of issues i.e. insurance , common sense, etc.

There is no point buying a Fireblade or GSX1000R to start with because you'll get stung heavily with the insurance, so a 600 is probably the best option. The CBR600 is a very good bike to start with and you should be able to find loads for sale through local dealers and MCN.

With regards to passing, you shouldn't have a problem just so long as you are capable of reading the road conditions and other road users, and have got a basic understanding of how to ride a bike, they should in theory pass you. Obviously if ride like an idiot then there is no chance!

Hope this helps in some way!

Scott
Old 19 April 2001, 12:35 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Joey,
With a name like that you'll have no problem . To do direct access you need to be over 21. It involves 1 day doing CBT on a 125 then 3 days on a larger bike. Suzuki GS500 or Yamaha Diversion 650. Then you sit your test. You can also take the limited test and NOT ride a 125 but the bike you have muct be limited to 33BPH I think, this is complex and not all bikes can do this.
If you've no experience before it'll be a tough nut to crack in one go like that IMHO. Its not cheap either(I paid about 800quid incl 1 test resit) so make sure you get the FULL costs including rental of radios and bikes and ALL test fees. Some places do a guaranteed pass for a fee, with unlimited lessons and you only pay repeat test fees. Not surprisingly they are a bit more expensive and may want to see you on the 125 before they'll commit.
On the bike front CBR is a great bike but not the cheapest to insure, I'd go for a Yamaha Fazer 600 or Honda NSR 400 import as your first bike over a CBR. Both are fast and both fun and easy to ride plus as cheap if not cheaper than a reasonable CBR to buy. Insurance will be much cheaper. I was only 50% of CBR600 cost when insuring my Fazer and only about 10-15BHP between them and better brakes on the Fazer too .

Best of Luck
Cammy
Old 19 April 2001, 11:47 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Summer is nearly here and I am beginning to think about motorbikes again except there is one tiny little drawback.... I don't have a licence! Now I understand that if you are over 21 and hold a full car licence you can do a direct access course so you don't have to ride a little 125 for two years (I couldn't stand the embarrisment )

So whats the best way to go about this as I have never ridden a motorbike before (Except a stupid little scooter on holiday and that doesn't count) I want to do a weeks intensive course and was wondering just what the chances of me passing with no experience would be ?? Can anybody recommend somewhere in the surrey area where I could do this sort of thing??

Next problem is what sort of bike I could realisticly handle/insure once I had passed my test. I am 27 (28 soon!) and although I could afford to buy a decent bike there is no way I could afford to insure it. I was thinking along the lines of a second hand CBR600, could I insure this TPFT for under a grand in a decent surrey postcode locked in a garage??

Any help would be much appreciated!

[This message has been edited by JoeyDeacon (edited 19 April 2001).]
Old 20 April 2001, 01:00 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Can't add much to what the others said except to warn you about my experience with CSM in Aldershot/Farnborough.

The instructor took out 7 (!!!) people for a week and only one passed. I failed on the emergency stop (which I performed in the pouring rain). We hadn't practiced the emergency stop at all and I didn't realise I had a habit of braking with my foot before my hand. As it didn't rain until my test, this bad habit didn't become apparent until the test itself. Not a good time to lock the back wheel up!

The instructor also gave us the impression that the test was a formality, unless we did something dangerous. Absolute cr4p. The motorcycle pursuit test is more difficult than either the car or lorry tests I've passed (first time). Also, more difficult than some tests for military vehicles I've passed as well (first time).

Personally, I'd steer clear of any CSM when I retake my test.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 20 April 2001).]
Old 20 April 2001, 02:17 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jerome,
I used CSM first time but based in Glasgow, I though they were expensive but the instructor was OK and class size was only 2.
I failed first time on the same thing as you plus failing to make good progress, also in the p155ing rain. I had no problem with getting a fail as I wasn't ready after only 3 days.I waited 2 weeks for a resit date and then I took another 2x3 hour lessons at an independent school using Yamaha Divi and felt much more confident.
Second time I hardly touched the back brake and passed no problem(also in the rain) but using a different bike and school as CSM wanted whole day lesson and bike hire cost for a resit despite the fact it was an 11am test time.

Best of Luck
Cammy
Old 20 April 2001, 03:33 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Wink

Did mine with a local company "Southern Motorcy..........." about £400 in 1998. Had to do a resit due to leaving an indicator on after a roundabout, took test in Thamesmead (all bloody roundabouts). Test is not easy. It will very much depend on the tester as to whether he thinks you're good enough in the 30 mins he has to assess you. And that is 30MINS with him following you all the way and making you even more nervous than you already are, and you will be nervous....

but..that said, enjoy
Dom
Old 20 April 2001, 03:35 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

Joey,

Great minds think alike! I have just got off the phone to a Motorbike training school in Maidenhead, as I am also in a similar position as yourself (27 nearly 28). I am going for the direct access course, consisting of a CBT on a 125, and then riding around on a 500cc bike and then taking the test. Instructor reckoned on at least 8 x 2 hour lessons, so I can split it up over a number of days and take a little more time at it.

The chap I was talking to was saying many people try and fit too much into a 3 or 4 day course and are consequently tired and a bit stressed when they come to take the test, but I suppose it's upto the individual.

Costs for the cbt, the lessons, bike hire, helmet come to a quite reasonable £570 and £45 for the test itself.

You will also need to take the new Motorcycle Theory test, which is £15.50 and is now compulsory even if you have passed your car test etc/. You can book it on 0870 0101372 and takes roughly 2 weeks to get a slot.

As for CBR600's. That was also the bike I was looking to purchase, but I got a first insurance quote of £1050 for TPFT and £600 TP only. I think with a bit of ringing around that would come down. As for ideal bikes, I think it is entirely down to what you want to do on your bike and what you feel comfortable on.

Good luck mate!

Jamie
Old 20 April 2001, 05:08 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thank you for all the advice so far! seems like they don't simply give these things away (Unlike a car licence!)

I am still very tempted to just take a week off work and book myself onto an intensive course. If I fail at the end then I can take it from there.

I understand the CBT is essentially about proving you can control a bike so is it worth me getting a little bit of experience before or will I be given enough training, bearing in mind I have never riden a bike before?? Do they expect you to turn up and at least know how to ride the thing??

Cheeky Jim,

You mention that you have to pass a written theory test as well now, do you only ever have to take this once or do you have to retake it again if once passed you fail to get your bike licence within a given period of time??

I want to get the bike purely for fun so it has to be a sports bike and the CBR600 is looking like the best bike I can afford to insure (Also I am 6 feet tall so would look stupid on a 400!!). I think the sort of insurance quotes you are getting are about the maximum I am willing to pay (bearing in mind I already pay £870 for the scoob!) and due to the fact that the bike will be locked in my parents garage and rarely used I am very tempted to go for Third Party only insurance.

Looks like I better get a copy of MCN tonight and book that course!!