Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2001, 01:55 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right then chap/chapettes ...

I need a difinitive answer ...

What is the best console to go for seems to be so many for's and againsts, never owned one before but I want to get one for my daughters 9th birthday ( Ok and for me ) Dreamcast seems the best choice ... but then the pS1 is quite cheap and has lots of good titles but then the PS2 is still steep but has best graphics ?? but few good titles ..Help !!

K
Old 10 April 2001, 03:04 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Depends on what you are looking for.
I would ignore the PS2 for now, can't see your 9 year old finding many games to play on it.
If just for you to play I would say the Dreamcast, as it has had some of the best games in the last year, and should still have good new games up until Christmas anyway. But overall there are not that many games, and there are comparatively few dreamcast owners.
But would recommend you get a second hand PS1 with a stack of games, just make sure one of them is GT2. That way you will have something to play, and your kid will have a choice of games, be able to swap them with mates and it wont cost you too much when more games are requested
Old 10 April 2001, 03:22 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Unless you have money to burn and you don't mind wasting it, don't buy a Dreamcast, it's a dead console. Regardless of whether it is currently better than the PS2 or not, the PS2 <I>will</I> overtake it because
Old 10 April 2001, 04:50 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>More importantly, Sega has publically announced that it won't be making games for the Dreamcast either, it's putting its efforts into making games for other consoles, including the PlayStation.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought Sega had gone into an exclusive agreement with Microsoft to work with them on the X-Box, so I'd be suprised if they were going to make games for the playstation.....still, just a thought and I could be wrong

I'd get a PS1 for the mo and wait a little while till all the niggly problems with the PS2 are done and dusted and the onboard firmware/software has been bugfixed.

Totally agree about the Dreamcast though, it would not be a wise investment now Sega have effectively shelved it and the back catalogue of games isn't as good as the PS.
Old 10 April 2001, 07:40 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Sega has basically moved out of the hardware market and will develop on any platforms they deem profitable.
Old 10 April 2001, 09:34 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Well....

I have a PS1 and PS2 but I must say I dont buy any games for the PS2 at the moment. There is not much out worth buying (YET!) and the ones that look any good wont be suitable for a kiddy. (But them im so old)

A Dreamcast is a very good option, at £99 its a bargin and you can play F355 online. There are loats of games for the DC and the are much cheaper than the PS2.

The PS1 is OK and if you havent played on a DC/PS2 the graphics are ok. You can pick up loads of games an peripherals for it. the main factor is that Granturismo is on the PS1 and it really is a fine game.

IF you buy a PS2 you will wind up renting DVD's and constatly looking at the delayed laucnh dates for Metal Gear Solid 2 and GT3.

I think a DC coz its the best graphics and most of the best games last year were out on it, Look at the games reviews charts on C4 Digitiser on 480&gt; or my website
Old 10 April 2001, 10:31 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Buy a PS1 - great range of classic games, and you can carry on playing them when you buy the PS2 in about 12 months when they are down to £199. PS1 games work on the PS2 as well. Your PS1 can then be used when on meets, camping, holiday etc.

DW
Old 10 April 2001, 10:46 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Not really constructive input, but due to having to find money for a new diff and clutch, I am prepared to sell my dreamcast with a load of games, controllers, VMU's, Utopia boot CD etc, not used much at all for not much over a ton.
Let me know by email or up here if it is of interest to you.

Cheers

Nick

P.S the Dreamcast still produces cracking graphics&sound, but most importantly some really great games!
Sony also skimped far too much overall with the PS2 IMO. I buy Sony everything, but not this time.
Old 10 April 2001, 11:13 PM
RichardC
Scooby Regular

In my opinion the PS2 is great value for money as you combine a great games console with a good quality DVD player. If that is what interests you that would be my choice, but if you are after stacks of quality games at a good price I would go for the PS1.