Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

OFFICIAL STATEMENT from Sega of Japan, on Dreamcast stories!

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2001, 03:26 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking

"GamerWeb Japan spoke to Masuda-san, head of Dreamcast Corporate Communications at Sega of Japan, to find out direct from the source what exactly is going to happen to our beloved Dreamcast.

Over the last 24 hours. the internet has been buzzing with activity as the result of a report last night (posted at 2:20am Japan time) from the Nikkei newspaper, detailing Sega alledged plans to withdraw from the hardware market by as early as this March. To add insult to injury, the Nikkei also reported that Sega has no less than five titles being readied for its nemesis -- PlayStation2, not to mention Gameboy Advance. What is going on?

We spoke directly with the head of Dreamcast PR at Sega Japan, Miho Masuda. Here were the highlights:

"We completely affirm that the news reported by Nikkei news last night is entirely their own intepretation of a massive Sega restructuring plan that we are currently undertaking. Sega has reiterated the same comment since October 27th last year, that we are open to considering other platform support as a means of reaching profitability -- whether it's mobile phones, other electronics devices, etc."

So a lot of fuss about nothing then? Well, not exactly. Masuda-san commented further:

"Sega is announcing a major strategic reform throughout it's organisation. We actually started this with our announcement last October. We have an entirely new financial model, based on a significant reduction in manufacturing of our Dreamcast console following March, with a new corporate focus on software. However please emphasise that Dreamcast hardware sales will not be halted, merely reduced, with the focus now being software. Sega has over 100 Dreamcast titles due for release in 2001. Software will now be our core business, and our route to profitability. We will however continue to license Dreamcast chip technology to other major interested hardware parties."

And what about these five PS2 games supposedly being developed?

"Regarding those PlayStation2 and GBA titles, it's true that we are currently negotiating with the companies about this. Our internal developers are fundamentally independent and the decision who they develop for will come first from them. However, we run a significant risk if we don't consider these negotiations seriously. That's all we have to say at this time. Please wait for further announcements."

What does this all mean? It means, quite frankly, that Sega have woken up. Truth be told, this is a hugely encouraging sign and any self-respecting Sega fan should be overjoyed. Sega has always made the greatest games, but not always the best business decisions. Today is the first firm, *****-out, clear-cut managerial decision we've seen from Sega Japan in a long time -- and we're happy to see it. Don't take my word for it -- watch as their stock price soars.

Software is what Sega does best. No one, repeat no one else in the business has a set of internal developers as widely varied, consistently innovative, and technically brilliant as Sega. It makes perfect sense for Sega to fly on the wings of their core competency back to a profitable position. Here at GamerWeb, we welcome the news, and look forward to the 'new' Sega in 2001.

Shortly after speaking to Sega, emails have begun to pour in from our other friends and contacts at Sega Japan with links, news snippets, comments and more -- including a friend on the Space Channel 5 team, about the sequel to that game. We are compilling these into further stories as we speak, but rest easy that you now have the real deal on the future of Sega and Dreamcast future, straight from the top. Keep watching GamerWeb.com for all the latest developments on this exciting story, as they happen both in Japan and the US."

-------------------------

So all is definatley not lost. As the article states, it makes sense for Sega to stick to the gaming side, as this is what they are best at. And lets be honest, if it wasn't for Sega, arcades wouldn't be arcades would they!

Whereas the Hardware production may be scaled down, it is quite evident that Sega and other software houses will still produce games.......I mean 100 NEW games for 2001, is nothing to be sniffed at! Just look at the N64, how many games have been released on that in past 6 months, and thats still being produced!!!!!!

Shaun.
Old 24 January 2001, 05:44 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I aint say nothin... :-)

Old 24 January 2001, 07:49 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

If anything this shows how stupid the general public are.

Dreamcasts haven't been selling - admittedly Sega haven't pushed it enough advetising wise and people are just too thick to evaluate it against the competition.

Its the same lot who buy FIFA games - a crappy footy game, but its ENDORSED by FIFA and has a picture of >insert current footy star here< on the box - which of course in their eyes make it the best(!)

Morons

DV

PS: I love my Dreamcast...more than my PIII 850, more than my PS1 and more than my PS2, sniff...
Old 24 January 2001, 08:17 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Granturismo,

"I aint say nothin..."

You'd better say those words with a cotton wool tone.................as I WILL be repeating those to you, when the X-Box comes out and your wiping your tears away over the demise of the PS2

Shaun.
Old 24 January 2001, 10:06 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

If the x-box is good i will get one, I have no loyaty either way....

The DC is a great console I just dont happen to own one. (yet)

Also the failure of the DC is enrirley the fault of the Sega marketing dept (IMHO)

The PS was getting tired, Sega had a fantastic unit at a bargin price and loads of original and good quality games.

But did any one know that who wasnt a real games fan......