Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has anyone got a REX 6000 PDA?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2001, 04:01 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have just noticed that REX have managed to fit a touch sensitive screen on their PDA, and with the smarter software it is starting to look VERY nice.

The REX is the same size as a PC-Card, and can fit into said slot to allow syncronisation with your PC (but you can also get a USB cradle).

Early versions were a bit basic, but this latest looks on a par with my current PalmV (2MB) - same basic software, same memory (ample) and the option to load other applications.

It's made by Xircom (who have just been bought by Chipzilla), with info at
Old 03 March 2001, 08:41 PM
fids
Scooby Newbie

Red face

Now then Boomer,

I've just bought myself a rex 6000. I must admit that I've already got a rexpro, but being a bit of a gadget freak, I couldn't resist! Using the rexpro is great - the company I work for use microsoft exchange, which I can sync the rex to, just by popping it in the PCMCIA slot on my laptop. Plus I can also sync it up with my Jornada. (don't ask why I need two PDAs - although in my defence - the same defence as I used with my other half - the rex is very easy to take around, and is one of the few devices that is actually *pocket sized*.

Right on to the rex 6000. (sorry about the waffle) The device seems to be great, and does the extra things that I wished the rexpro had done, like easy to use pin entry, easier data entry (thanks to the touch screen which works well) and easier navigation (again thanks to the touch screen). My only gripe is that I haven't been able to use it in anger, as my laptop (that is to say, my work laptop) only runs win95 and you need win 98/2000 to install the sync software. Plus there is no sync software around at the mo for it to work with my Jornada either. BUM.

Anyhoo, the 6000 is a good device, nice and compact and easy to use. It is a little bit fragile (ie don't sit on it) but it comes with a clear plastic protective case.

Hope this helps, again sorry for so much waffle!

Fids
Old 03 March 2001, 09:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Talking

Fids,

oooo-er, sounds like the new REX is a gadget worth getting then!!

Glad to hear that the touch screen is good, and no worries for me about the PC software (i am either W98 or W2K, although Pocket PC on a Compaq iPaq PDA would be _really_ cool!).

I believe that you can get a "jewel case" (is that the clear plastic one?) to protect it, or various levels of leather holders. What stylus does it come with?

I am interested in "multi-sync-ing", where you can plug the REX into more than one PC and yet still maintain data integrity. Can you load the Intellisync software on multiple PC's (e.g. home and laptop) and sync the REX across both?

Must admit, at GBP130 for the REX _and_ the docking station/software, it is an absolute bargain (my PalmV was originally GBP350).

I might pop into PC World tomorrow for a closer look!

Cheers,

mb
Old 05 March 2001, 09:59 AM
fids
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Boomer,
Just a quick reply - (I'm about to go into a meeting...)

Yes the jewel case is the clear plastic one. Looks and feels alot better than it sounds. It also comes with a leather wallet type thing - the same dimensions as the rex.

Multi sync-ing. I can't say for *SURE* but multi sync on various pc's should work, as long as you use the REX as your trusted source, so to speak. Saying that you can configure the software on the pc to say in which direction you want to sync - ie new dat a on the rex will overwrite the pc data and vice-versa, or nothing at all. Does this make sense? (it is monday morning afterall)

By the way - I got my rex 6000 down tottenham court road for 105 quid. - If you are ever down in that neck of the woods, it might be worth a look.

HTH

Fids
Old 05 March 2001, 06:19 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Humm,

funnily enough, i will be down on TCR later this week - looks like i will continue with my lifelong habit of spending money on gadgets that i don't _really_ need

Cheers,

mb