Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IT Career Help : -)

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2001, 12:52 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Having recently started a new job looking after my company's Intranet, I have decided that after 12 months I would like to move into IT Project Management, or Web Production.

I used to design web pages, but now look after the whole site including relocation of the department from South to North. I have found it quite interesting doing the whole site management thing rather than just the development of pages.

Question is what sort of job to I need to be looking for? Web Producer, Architect, IT Project Manager etc etc. Anyone out there do this sort of thing?

All help gratefully appreciated.

DW
Old 27 February 2001, 05:19 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I would suggest "Technical Project Management" by what you've said above.

You ought to look into working for some of the blue chip companies, in their Professional Services divisions, such as Sun Professional Services, IBM, HP, dare I say it, Microsoft, EMC, EDS etc..

Rgds, Alex
Old 27 February 2001, 05:20 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oooh not the dreaded EDS

Anyone else any suggestions?
Old 27 February 2001, 06:24 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Try Newsquest in Lancashire. Newsquest own Fish 4 and have been expanding this areas quite heavilly.

Reckons an IT Project manager will be more varied and pay more in the long run as loads of people have web skills. What platforms are you familiar with ?

AllanB
Old 28 February 2001, 11:51 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Hello,

I am a Senior eBusiness Project Manger (which is nice)

If you are moving from a hands on/team leader role to a PM role you need to ensure you have a good understanding of project techniques. You need to know hoe to scope a project, set objectives, monitor progress etc. Customer management will be important as is budget control. I would suggest you need a few doucments as templates like a Project definition doc, template project plans, task reports, signoff sheets etc.

I have just got a book about Website project management from Amazon, I looks good but it only came yesterday so I cant say if it lives up to the hype.
Old 28 February 2001, 10:11 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I would backup what Alex has said. What you need is training and experience before you start heading into IT Project Management. I work for the Professional Services team at Equant (you've probably never heard of them (I hadn't really until I got the job), but they operate the worlds largest network (in terms of geographic coverage)).

Having worked for small firms for the last 2 / 3 years, it was great to walk into Equant and be offered my choice of courses and certifications (including Cisco, Nortel and Checkpoint). A big 'blue chip' as Alex has mentioned, gives you the best opportunity to get into project management and get trained. Might also be worth talking to Carolyn T-S (Muppet Dave's other half), as she is an IT PM.

Chris
Old 05 March 2001, 06:59 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers all - good advice.

I will have a look nearer the time. As for bigger firms I work for the UK's biggest Tour Operator (Not Thomson). Big enough for now Maybe need to negotiate with our training manager

DW