Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any pilots ? or can you answer this .....

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2001, 06:53 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi all ....

Can any of you settle a dispute, this week I was in a car on the A40 ( should of been the M40/M25 but that's another story ) and we passed an airfield, it wasn't Heathrow but a lot smaller and less than 10 mins away but it had short road lamps at the end of the runway .... now then are they short to stop light polution for incoming pilots or lower to prevent accidents with incoming planes ?????? can any of you help ?

K
Old 20 January 2001, 09:07 PM
ChrisB

Sounds like RAF Northolt. I've spent many an unpleasant hour trying to get out of London on the A40

Both answers sound reasonable to me though.

Chris.
Old 20 January 2001, 11:44 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

LoL
Every time I pass that section of road I always think I am playing Ridge Racer or something
Cem
Old 21 January 2001, 07:52 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Cool

Kev,

Yep, its RAF Northolt.

The lighting is low there for one reason only, the guy they employ to change the bulbs is only 4'4" tall!

Paul
Old 21 January 2001, 08:01 AM
Steve_Yeowart
Scooby Regular

At the end of and sides of runways there is what is known as a cleared and graded area, into which nothing that is not frangable (easily breakable) must extend. You will find that the touchdown point of the runway is fairly close by therefore the lights will be low not to stop glare into the pilots eyes (for this to happen they would have to be pointing up the glide slope), but so they do not intrude into this area,for obvious reasons(you don't want to get the approach slightly wrong and hit a lampost at 170mph), they aren't anticipating aircraft getting anywhere near them in normal cicumstances, but everything in aviation is done with the biggest safty margins in mind that can possibly be put in place, (UNTIL AIR TRAFFIC IS PRIVATISED THAT IS!!!!!!)also another reason is so they do not interfere with the operation of the ILS (instrument landing system) which is very sensative to metallic objects!!!

Not a pilot but a controller hope this helps if you've any other questions , happy to help
Old 21 January 2001, 10:03 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Cheers all..

I think that about settles it then thanks for that Steve, I knew it had to be a saftey ( as in collision ) thing.

Mr Walker .. me old mate .. not very tall bulb changerer type person eh ... I worry about you sometimes lol

We were lost basicly the driver took a wrong turn ( not me ... driving an auto vectra c'mon ! ) .... he thought Heathrow should of been bigger though

thanks
K

K
Old 21 January 2001, 11:23 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Just watch out when you pass the runway - A Spanish Air Force plane ( Citation - from memory ) decided to park on the A road a couple of years ago.

There have been stories that some pilots have landed there thinking it was Heathrow but I don't know if that is Urban Myth or not.

I do remember seeing an Indian Air Force Constellation ( big 4 engine piston aircraft ) leave that Airfield back in the 70's and he was VERY Low clearing the lights.