Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question from an American

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2003, 12:08 PM
Cobreth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I'm an American. It is politically correct here to call a black person "African-American" and that really bugs me. For one, not all black people are from Africa. Secondly, if they are from Africa, it's most likely been generations since someone in their family lived there. Thirdly, what about white people born in Africa that move to America? A white person calling themselves African-American would surely raise a few eyebrows. My question to you guys is, what is the "correct" term for black people in the UK? Also, am I ignorant for even thinking this way?
Old 03 January 2003, 12:16 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Black people prefer to be refered to as Black in this country, People with ethnic origin from the Asian subcontinent (India,Pakistan, etc) prefer to be called Asian.

Ash
Old 03 January 2003, 12:23 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Most of my mates just say they are black.

I think that the "categorisation" you mention is normally used by companies or larger bodies to try and keep tabs on make up of workforce, or other populations. In fact these are usually terms used by the non-ethhnic minorities trying to be overly sensitive when there is no need to be.

I reckon that these terms are used purely because there are no "politically correct" terms that are short, and snappy to say/write that can cover all eventualities.

In the UK the equivalent is "afro-carribean" (but having run for many years with sprint squads in Birmingham and London, I've yet to hear a black guy EVER refer to themselves with that term)
Old 03 January 2003, 12:27 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It seems to me that Americans love to describe themselves as [insert country name here]-American rather than just American, whether it be Afrian, Irish, Italian etc.

I don't think you're being ignorant, but then again, I've only had about 3 or 4 non-white friends (not by choice, I just live in an area that is 90% white) so I could be being ignorant as well
Old 03 January 2003, 12:36 PM
Cobreth
Scooby Regular

Another thing is, America is made up of like 99% immigrants. I don't go around saying I'm a Czeckoslovokian/Polish/Russian/German/Irish-American. You see what I mean?
Old 03 January 2003, 02:03 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

LOL.

To me, a Mexican or Canadian person, or someone from Chile or Peru would also be an American.

I think if you are white, you should say you are white, if you are black, you are black, if you are Asian you could be either yellow or brown or black, depending on your colour. I think black people are often referred to as "coloured" (which colour? Are there people without a colour?? LOL)

I have also noticed that a lot of people who say they are black are in fact brown, not black

As for me, I guess most people would say I am white, when in fact I am pink
Old 03 January 2003, 02:40 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

Cobreth, I know what you mean...

I'm an English/Scottish/Swiss/Italian/German/Cherokee/Iriquois-American. So I call myself white
Old 03 January 2003, 03:37 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I spose the only real answer is to say, man/woman This would be correct no matter where you came from!