Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

tax query

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2002, 06:13 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi.

If say, I was getting a 2nd hand car from a dealer, and they wanted me to pay for the tax, but would get the tax for me. They want a cover note in advance of pick up to get the tax. Thas fine.

However, if due to xmas post I cant get the cover note to them, can they stop me collecting the car and driving off untaxed?

I understand that I could cet pulled by the police, but its my risk right? (What would happen if I was caught?)

Any thoughts?
Old 19 December 2002, 06:25 PM
beanchimp
Scooby Regular

Well I bought my car a couple of weeks ago, from this bbs

and i was under the impression that the car did have some tax on it, it had already expired when I went to view the car, but forgot to look & check

anyway it was only 3 or 4 days after I had the car, I noticed that the tax had run out, and didnt have my insurance certificate through, all bought & paid for over the phone

I did drive it around tho, as you can still get done for having the car on your drive untaxed, without a special form (which I couldnt get)

needless to say, as soon as the certificate arrived, I got my tax
edited to say 'the dealer could shop you for no tax '

Steve

[Edited by beanchimp - 12/19/2002 6:25:40 PM]
Old 19 December 2002, 06:40 PM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

bought my scoob from subaru , we haggled for a long time over the px car price and finally got a good deal but didnt include tax on the scooby ,,,,,,, i drove home without it ,,, 3 days later insurance cert arrives so i go down and get the tax which starts at the begining of the month so therefore the date on the tax covers me for 2 weeks before i even bought the thing , so therefore no law broken as i bought it in middle of a month ,,,,
Old 19 December 2002, 06:49 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

If you do get stopped, just tell them you just bought it and are waiting for your insurance to come through. This happened to a mate and thats all he said to the copper. He just had to do a producer 10 days later or something
Old 19 December 2002, 07:18 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

AFAIK, I think it is illegal to not display a valid tax disc in your windscreen on a public road - ie; you could be fined if the tax disc had fallen off into the footwell!!

However, I'm sure if you were stopped and had explained that you were waiting for a covernote to come through, then you would probably get away with a producer.
<When I first imported my car, I drove it 200 miles with no tax or 'proper' numberplates!!>
Old 19 December 2002, 07:19 PM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

yip a producer would sort it all out ,,,,,,,

ie if you are all legal within 10 days u r ok
Old 19 December 2002, 07:29 PM
beanchimp
Scooby Regular

ANd the Insurance company said to me, that if I get stopped by the Police, it will be ok, cos as soon as the insurance is taken out, it is entered into a national database, that the Police can access to check that you have got insurance

Also they said if I have all the documents and reciepts etc with me, the police would be very lenient

Old 19 December 2002, 07:33 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

I think you will find that if you got no tax your insurance
is void, so If you have a prang then you are not covered,
its not much hassle to sort out first (it could save you the price
of your new car!) speak to the dealer nicely, he might know a post
office who do him the odd favour of putting your name & address
on the form and using his insurance, (they do this when it suits them!) Also if you are taking finance out on the new car then
the dealer requires proof of insurance before letting you have it!
Hope this helps Cheers Taffyboyo!!!!!!
Old 19 December 2002, 08:05 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys. Its not financed by Subaru, but a personal loan instead, so no probs there. Insurance is sorted already. I thought it was just MOT that invalidated your insurance, as tax has little to do with the vehicle being safe & fit for use?

The thing is, the car is 300 miles away; thats a 600 mile round trip. And they close down until 2nd Jan. So, if I cant take the car next week (24th), it means another 600 mile round trip, all for the sake of road tax. Seems a little harsh.

The cover note could still arive, I need it for next tuesday. However Ive heard scary rumours of 7 days for 1st class post!! Im just about pisssing myself with excitement at the thought of my first turbo as is, cant sleep or concentrate on anything! Everyone at work thinks ive gone mad. If I have to go another 2 weeks I think I may die

BTW - Do post offices close half day on 24th?

Thanks
Old 19 December 2002, 08:11 PM
Rab
Scooby Regular

I think you will find that you are still insured if you dont have road tax, its a bit of a grey area without an MOT though
Old 20 December 2002, 12:59 AM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

For Imports I red recently that you are allowed to drive the car from the entry port to a plce to get stuff done for the SVA and to a pre booked MOT without tax or valid number plates.
Anyway, on the original question, why not get your insurance company to fax your insurance to the dealer. They can get the tax sorted then. Or alternatively get the insurance posted to the dealer (I did this when I got my car) and they went and taxed it for me. Then you don't have to travel anywhere till your car is ready for you to pick up.

Just my 2p

Steve
Old 20 December 2002, 02:00 AM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

I drove my car for a while on cypriot plates and tax, I live about 300 yards from the cop shop in our town and they stopped in their T5 to have a good look one day as I was pulling out of the yard.

Chatting to them for a while one of them said I like the style of your plates where are they from.

Cyprus I explained and he was under the impression that It was perfectly legal for 6 months on foreign plates and tax...

I did'nt say anything and just agreed knowingly.

These were trafic cops and did'nt seem to have a clue.

Fair enuff.
Old 22 December 2002, 01:04 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Thanks all. Its all irelevant now thanks to the utter incompetence and stupidity of the freaks working for the finance company.

Its amazing, NATWEST managed to have the loan money into the bank within 12 hours of my application. The muppets at the finance company seem unable to cope with my repayment. Ive tried switch twice and direct transfer once, and they managed to ***** it up every time. Once took my switch # wrong, once got my address wrong (So bank stoped payment) then gave me the wrong acc no for direct xfer!!!

Now credit on my car wont be cleared for tuesday, so I cant px it with the dealer. And guess what? They are closed until Jan 2nd.

I am so fed up and dissapointed. Gotta wait another week now at least for my turbo goodness