Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Arggghh! ADSL installaiton failure - help!

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2000, 10:42 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

BT Openworld phoned today to say that they couldn't continue with my ADSL installation because my BT line had failed a line quality test.

Voice sounds ok, but if I plug a modem in I can't get a connection at ANY speed...

At the moment, my order is on hold and I can resume it if I can get this sorted out.

Techy questions -

What does a line quality test test? I know some of the internal cabling is dodgy - does the line test also test house wiring?

My street has phone lines above street level on a pole - is this a factor?

I've got a BT engineer visiting tomorrow - what should I ask him to repair, test, or replace?

Thanks,

Alex
Old 06 October 2000, 04:48 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello (can you hear me!! :-) )

BT phone lines have a master socket located in your house. This is different to all the others because it has a capacitor in it. This capacitor maintains a voltage (or something) accross the line and lets BT know that your line is working. If you have had extension sockets fitted and this has interfreared with the capacitor this could be the problem.

Only a BT engineer is supposed to oen the master box but some DIY people has a go and messit up. This happened in my hose, the former occupier kanackered the master box.

Overhead wires could be the problem, but underground wires are also suseptable to problems from water (crackle)
It is most likley that the probelm lies between the telephone pole and your house and that the BT cap will fix it. If you live in a rural area it is possible that the local exchange wont be digital or the lines will be crap. If you can use 1471 then its a digital exchange.

I am sure Mr BT Will sort you out one way or anther.

Good Luck.

Dave.