Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Home Entertainment System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2000, 01:32 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hopefully someone out there can give me some advise, got the money to do this but not the knowledge to resolve my problems

I have recently begun to put together a home entertainment system and am having trouble with co-channel interference when using the DVD or Sky Digital components. The TV is a 32" Toshiba Digital Surround Sound with 3 Scart sockets, the Sky system is an Amstrad digital box, the DVD is a Pioneer, and the video is an old (8 years or so) Sony.

When I use the DVD or Satellite I get slight 'ghosting' of terestrial (sp?) channels across the screen. I have tried re-wiring the Scart and ariel leads from all the manuals I have but to no avail, I even loose the sound from the video on the configuration shown in the TV manual

Do I just need to:

1. Re-tune my video slightly as this is what is causing the interference?
2. Buy a new video as the current one is too old (not digital compatible?) and causing the interference - if so suggestions welcome
3. Re-connect the Scart leads etc from advise given by one of you more knowledgeable people out there.

Cheers

Yex
Old 05 October 2000, 07:50 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yex,

By the sounds of things, it's possible that you have a dodgy scart lead somewhere in the works - it's unlikely that it's the set (which at a guess is a 32ZD98B and is fairly reliable, and also, auto tuning, so very unlikely to be causing the problem) It's probably best (especially with the DVD), to go for a gold plated lead ("Procon" are generally quite good).

With regards to the other things you mentioned:

1) It's possible that you could try re-tuning the video, however it's probably not going to do a great deal as ghosting is generally caused by interference, or loss of signal, not a poorly tuned appliance.
2) Your video will be compatible whatever it's age - digital is just the means by which the signal is transmitted - it is then converted into an analogue signal by your decoder box so that it can be read by your TV/Video etc.
3) You can try re-connecting the scart leads as it's possible this is whats causing the loss of sound - perhaps the pins are not connecting properly.

At the end of the day, it's probably best to simply go via trial and error - try disconnecting one of the units at a time to see if any one makes a difference, also, try interchanging/replacing the scart leads as previously mentioned (realistically, a gold plated one will only make a difference on the DVD so stick with standard leads for the others.)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful,

Let me know if you get it sorted!

Kelvin

ps - if you do ever decide to replace your video - go to one of the House of Fraser stores in your area and tell them that Kelvin from Bournemouth TV & Audio recommended them - you might get a discount!

[This message has been edited by kelvin (edited 05 October 2000).]
Old 05 October 2000, 09:37 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Yex

I noticed Kelvin was recommending a new scart lead to control the interference. QED have just started to produce high quality SCART leads. Details at
Old 05 October 2000, 10:33 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Yex,

Have you tried each component connected to the TV individualy (SP)? If it happens with one particular device then you can try another scart. Or it could be that device.

Do you get this problem with the Video and DVD switched on? My TV doesn't like them both switched on at the same time. Can give a few probs.

Have you got decent fully wired scart cables? I had some cheap cables which gave a shimmer to the pictures as they weren't properly sheilded. Sheilding from interferance is a must.

Do you have a splitter box anywhere in your system?

Are you running the DVD player through the Video player?

I asume when using the built in terrestrial tuner the pictures are fine?

Are you able to switch any device off to stop the cross channel ghosting? If so move the scart connection to a different one in the back of the TV as it may not be grounding properly. ie, Digibox in scart 2 causes ghosting then move it to 3 and see if it still causes ghosting.

Always connect the DVD player to the RGB Scart connex. You may be lucky and have two to connect the Digibox into.

Old 06 October 2000, 10:59 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If the Video and Satelite are connected to either each other by coax or the telly then try removing all the scarts and see if it still happens, if it does then it could be the UHF frequency that the satellite pumps out is clashing with the video. I used to get this, if your telly is newish then it might list the frequency number which goes from between 30 something to 60 something I think, if any are close together you may get ghosting. I have a small hole in the back of my video with a screw which when turned alters the frequency.

Sorry if this the first step you tried but it was what caused most of my problems.

Rich.

[This message has been edited by RichB (edited 06 October 2000).]
Old 06 October 2000, 02:17 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Yex,

I think you are mad.

Firstly you are on the Scoobynet, which means you probaly have a Scooby.
Second you have just listed your home entertainment system.
Third your ID Shows your full name.
Forth your ID Shows where in Essex you live.

It would not take a master mind to find your house, scum bags also surf the net.

But good luck sorting out your problem.
Old 06 October 2000, 02:32 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

BTW when I had similiar problems, I disconneced the sky box from the aerial chain, and just watch sky via scart.

Quick solution for me :^)

Greg
Old 06 October 2000, 09:12 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yex,

Unless you are multi-rooming forget running uhf to every component use scarts.