Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ADSL Routers / Modems

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2001, 07:50 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Question...

If you have an ADSL service from BT OpenWorld (or whoever) that is 'presented' as a USB modem type device, could you replace the USB modem with an ADSL router?

Would it work without telling the ISP? Something at the back of my mind is saying MAC addresses come into this, but I could be barking up the wrong tree.

Just a question that's come up recently (I can't even get ADSL yet )

Chris.
Old 15 May 2001, 07:27 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Snippets of handy info from my recent BT ADSL install...

1. Apart from the alcatel USB drivers you do not have to use any BT software to connect - std DUN will work fine.

2. The DUN phone-no can be anything you like.

3. Authentication is done using the username/password BT supply you so it must be PPP over ADSL.

4. The Alcatel website says that the USB modem does not support NAT, but NAT may be achieved through software such as win2k internet sharing.

5. NAT/sharing does work cos I'm using it now.

Only problem I've had is with BT's proxy server. They capture all port80 traffic and throw it at their own proxy which means that if they have a problem, you have a problem.

SMTP does *not* however get thrown at their own server on port 25. You for people who want to use a different SMTP you can. Relaying aside

A clued up guy at BT I spoke to said that sharing on a home account is not supported, and by "not supported" he means "it works, but don't go asking us for help".
Old 15 May 2001, 08:12 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

The Alcatel modem and others will actually respond to a request sent from the BT exchange. It is not the MAC address rather a code that identifies the device as an Alcatel modem. How do I know this? The engineering guys at my last place, worked this out and managed to spoof the code so that our kit could respond as an Alcatel modem

Whether BT are enforcing this I don't know, but there would seem to be little point in selling different home and business packages if they weren't (unless they are relying on your honesty ). Other than that, there is nothing to stop you connecting any ADSL router / modem as long as the setup is correct.

I did a lot of testing with BT at Martelsham on ADSL routers and we connected to a variety of DSLAMs (DSL Access Multiplexor - the bit in the exchange) with no problems whatsoever.

Cheers
Chris
Old 15 May 2001, 12:12 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Would I assume you're trying to get your LAN onto the Internet for the price of a 'home user' package on BT OpenWorld ?

All you need to do is keep your USB Modem, and setup some LAN routing.

Internet Connection Sharing in Win98SE, Millenium and Win2k will handle it, but the host PC must be designated at 192.168.0.1 I think.

Wingate will handle it.