Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cyclist gets a ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2002, 09:31 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Guy at work has just got a ticket for riding the wrong way down a one way street. He's now £30 poorer.

While it's nice to know the police are clamping down on errant cyclists, it seems a bit heavy handed to fine the guy. Still taking the mickey out of him half an hour later
Old 22 October 2002, 09:34 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I think it is perfectly resnoble to fine him IMO.

If you had done that in a car you would be looking at points and a fine!

Cyclists without lights should be fined as well, £20 gets a fairly good set of lights that mean you are much safer and drivers especially in this weather have a chance to see you from a distance.
Old 22 October 2002, 09:48 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Last year i got stopped every night @ 10pm on my way home no lights, even though i knew i was wrong, like i said to the copper. you canny be arsed with the paper and i dont have the time. And he just walked off
Old 22 October 2002, 10:21 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I was once cycling along with my mate - both of us pi55ed, although I was worse and weaving about the road (quiet estate - still dangerous though). Sure enough, a police car pulled over and shouted out of the window at me. What he said was unclear at the time... I thought he asked "Do you want a lift?" so I said "N thanks!" and kept pedalling. He looked at me strangely and drove off.

My mate later informed me that he said "Do you want to live?" and by driving off he was presumably leaving me to my chosen fate
Old 22 October 2002, 10:33 AM
moomin
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine was riding his bike back from the pub (half cut) when he reached quite a big junction. He stopped and waited for the lights to change and continued on his way. A car pulled up behind him at some speed and honked its horn. Without even looking my mate flicked the finger (as he knew he had done nothing wrong), he was then was given a quick blast of a siren. He obviously stopped and got the riot act read to him. He was made to do a breath test (which he passed!) but still ended up going to court over it. When the judge heard what the case was all about he threw it out within minutes and told the coppers involved that they really should have more important things to do! Made the front page of the local rag though.
Old 22 October 2002, 10:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

A large group of us has been stopped for speeding in a 30mph zone coming down from Mam Tor into Castleton... Copper asked us if we knew what speed we were doing, and of course we didn't know. He "estimated" it to be around 40, told us to be careful and also informed us that we could be done for speeding. And, I dunno why, but he thought he'd remind us that it's possible to be done for being drunk in charge of a bike.

That night, I cycled into a ditch on the way back from the pub and then couldn't stop laughing...

Aah, them's were the days

Cyclists should definitely be covered by the same laws, so glad he got fined. It's the ones that use the pavements to go around red lights that annoy me most, especially when I'm walking on said pavements.
Old 22 October 2002, 10:39 AM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I was cycling home one night when a car full of yobs decidied they wanted to beat me up. They didn't catch me, but it was a close run thing.

No doubt Scoobynetters would approve of such behaviour towards cyclists?[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 22 October 2002, 10:48 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Myself and a mate got pulled over for speeding in a 30 limit coming down off the Malvern hills.

Copper reckoned we were doing 40mph. Mate said, "Well, how are we supposed to know, we don't have speedos ?". Copper said "Fair enough" and drove off.

Cheers

Ian
Old 22 October 2002, 11:51 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Ive just counted the amount of cars ive kicked going 3miles to college.

The amount of people that cut Junctions, cut across cyclist etc, dont check mirrors before doing a u-turned.

I purposely hit the car, wave + smile and the "V" sign strongly followed by you f***ing w@anker

the carry on. its getting worse!!!
Old 22 October 2002, 12:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Wink

I purposely hit the car
Then you're being a self-righteous pillock, si.

Cyclists, by and large, use the road without any clue to their own personal safety and want to blame cars for everything. I can safely say this from both sides, as I cycle too and have been knocked off by a transit towing a caravan, who forgot about the caravan and sideswiped me with it...

However, on a bike, it seems like a really good idea to cycle down a lane of traffic (either inside, outside, wherever), run a red light, whatever, until you come unstuck by someone changing lanes, or foolishly going through a green light, or ...

Neither party is completely innocent, but IMHO on a bike you need to adopt a defensive way of riding. Offensive riding WILL get you killed. A good friend of my wife's died as a result of cutting up the inside of a stream of traffic, and the dustbin lorry he ended up hitting was turning left (indicating)... He hit his head on the edge of the kerb and died later in hospital. He was 20.

So, for all the self righteous car drivers berating cyclists there'll be an equal number of self-righteous cyclists berating car drivers. The fact is that it's the cyclist at risk and it's therefore in their interest to ride defensively. You might have right of way but, that's a pretty poor epitaph.

I've gone off on one again, haven't I?

Don't kick cars, si, one day someone will want to get you back, and in a ton of metal they can really do damage.

Nick.
Old 22 October 2002, 12:30 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt catch quick bunny hop on the curb.

plus id say in not excaully tiny/ the average person.

After playing rugby for oh 15years now i tend not to take **** of no one.

If the car cuts the junction i should move? haha good one

As for running lights, your sterotyping
Old 22 October 2002, 01:33 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Oh, I know I'm stereotyping

But even if you're built like a brick sh1tehouse, a car's bigger mate . I haven't seen the results personally, but my wife has...
Old 22 October 2002, 01:51 PM
gooser
Scooby Regular

I would say wear a helmet Si, but it's not worth protecting an empty head. You will no doubt get your come uppance soon, I just hope it doesn't prove fatal.
Old 22 October 2002, 02:02 PM
kenb@manx
Scooby Regular

IMO cyclists are too understanding of motorists poor driving standards. Lorries, cars, they all have a percentage of their drivers who cannot drive with consideration to others so I can understand when cyclists feel the need to take matters into their own hands.
Perhaps the solution is to segragate cyclists and motors more adequately but that will cost of course. Are you prepared to pay for that? If not you should be before the EU do something about it for us.
If any of my kids get hurt by wreckless driving while out on their bikes, pity the driver.

Ken
Old 22 October 2002, 03:07 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

White van mans done me before :S
Old 22 October 2002, 03:08 PM
gooser
Scooby Regular

Ouch.
Old 22 October 2002, 03:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

To go back to the original topic, I'm intrigued as to how this guy got a ticket when his cycle doesn't carry any registration plates to look up his id from?
My eldest lad has been stopped loads of times doing "trials" on walls, street furniture, even bus shelters(!!), but he hasn't had a ticket yet, 'cos he's not who they think he is(??)
:
Alcazar
Old 22 October 2002, 03:19 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

I lived in London once and cycled everywhere.

What does No-Entry and One-Way mean??.Also what are those poles with three lights on top....at least i had loads of car driving friends,always beeping me to say hello...
Old 22 October 2002, 05:28 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Didnt really hurt, the Marin was hung up at home so i was on mother goose's easy rider type bike.

coming home from rugby match so freezing cold coverd in a mix of blood/mud and the white van man went straight into the side of me at a round a bout

SI
Old 22 October 2002, 06:10 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chiark (and others who want a sensible debate),

This thread in the Bikers forum has been going on for a while now. You may be interested.....

Matt

[Edited by mutant_matt - 10/22/2002 6:11:09 PM]
Old 22 October 2002, 06:13 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Im there
Old 22 October 2002, 06:28 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

NNNNNNOOOoooooooo.....

matt - what are you doing ????

Old 23 October 2002, 08:07 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well obviously, I was hoping some others could join our sensible debate but it looks like Super_Si joined it instead

Matt
Old 23 October 2002, 08:50 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

I aiming to degrade my 3rd thread into the Muppets
Old 23 October 2002, 11:12 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I ride my bike back from the station. Often whilst totally slashed of me face. the sports centre I ride past has cctv cameras hanging off it. I'm still waiting to see if I make it to the funny bit at the end of those police camera action videos.
astraboy.