Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hoping for Europe over here

Old 06 July 2000, 01:15 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from 2 weeks in France. I here people moaning how they do not want Europe over here. Well there a few things which I would love to have over here which I found in France/Europe:
1. Quiet roads. Not only were they far quieter but the general condition of the roads was excellent.

2. Fuel prices. For the first time in many visits to France the petrol was cheaper over there.

3. The courtesy extended to cyclists by motorists. I have found when cycling in France, Spain, Belgium, Germany and Holland are far more patient with cyclists. They pass giving a good amount of room. In the British Isles many car drivers seem to object to you being there and try to give you as little room as possible. They also pull out in front of you as if you were not there. I would like to know what they are in such a rush for ? What are they going to do with the extra 10 seconds they have saved by not waiting for a safe passing opportunity? I felt safe enough in France to take my 2 year old daughter on the back of my bike. I would never to that in this country.
Old 06 July 2000, 01:30 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

It's not all sweet and dandy over there. How about....

* One lorry overtaking a second lorry, both on speed limiters on 2 lane morotways. causing slowed traffic for miles (Holland).
* Ar$eholes glued to your bumper in the pouring rain, and who never appear to signal (Belgium).
* Motorways that make ours look billiard-table smooth (Belgium).
* Every corner you come to, you wonder if you're gonna have a head-on with someone doing a blind overtake (Italy).

I do agree with you about France though, and I can't remember driving in Germany and Austria being anything other than a pleasure either.

Gary.

[This message has been edited by GCollier (edited 06-07-2000).]
Old 06 July 2000, 01:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Got back from Germany today, agree with your points about lorries overtaking each other (usually after pulling out right in front of you causing brown trouser time! especially as you'd been travelling at 120mph!!!)

On the whole the trip was a lot of fun.
Old 06 July 2000, 01:38 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

So what's the highest speed you can cruise at over a long distance and not damage the engine? I guess the answer should be revs rather than mph...
Old 06 July 2000, 02:01 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Gary,

I do agree with your tail gating point. Terrible in Italy and France.

I also agree with you about the madmen in Italy overtaking on blind bends.

I still stand by my points however.