Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Colour Blind & Work Problems

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2002, 01:40 PM
Gixer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work in a job I love, but recently failed some colour blindness tests (Isihara, Lantern, City & London, etc) and have been removed from some duties involved in my job, one of which is driving. The same duties that I have been doing for the last three years without anyone having any complaint about what i do and how i do it. I have appealed to be re-instated, but this may take a few more weeks to be heard.

I am after information from anyone who has been/is in a similar situation. Did they get re-instated or not, and on what grounds? I beleive that CB is not viewed as a disability, but is seen as "sexual discrimination". I know that there are some jobs that will not allow recruit those with this "problem", but this is not a recruitment issue, as I have been accepted into the job.

Thanks again for any help/assistance anyone can give.

Old 18 October 2002, 01:43 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Try expanding a bit.

Whats you job.

Im colour blind and i cant see why your not allowed to drive.

Depends on alot such as the type ,how bad.

Si
Old 18 October 2002, 01:44 PM
WebReaper
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Chelle's almost completely blind, and she's not banned from driving, so I think they're being a bit harsh.
Old 18 October 2002, 01:46 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Angry

Eh? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Unless you "drive" a Tornado or Harrier that makes no sense at all!

Old 18 October 2002, 01:54 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Now, bomb disposal, that's different.

i think its a bit harsh the way you've been treated.
i have a colour blind programmer here (god, you should see his desktop colours!!! YUK!!!)but he's great at his job!!

good luck

BB
Old 18 October 2002, 01:54 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

There are different sorts of colour blindness. My grandad was colour blind, in that he could not distinguish between red and green which is why he was banned from driving.

What is your flavour of colour-blindness?
Old 18 October 2002, 01:58 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Mines red brown the most common type.

Si
Old 18 October 2002, 01:59 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Mines Red Brown too...

Have a few problems occasionally when wiring up UTP, but don't tell the boss
Old 18 October 2002, 02:03 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

...cant connect to server....LOL.
Old 18 October 2002, 02:15 PM
Gixer
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mine is red green (deuteranomalous trichromatism, to give it it's technical name), and is classed as severe. I don't want to go into too much detail about my work, but I have specifically been stopped from driving and motorcycling "at high speed". I can still drive works cars, but not under those conditions. I cannot find anywhere any evidence that there are any health and safety issues here. I have held a motorcyle racing licence, and have driven or ridden in many countries all over the world. I can tell the difference between a red and green flag in racing, and also tell the difference between red and green on traffic lights. The person that conducted the tests said that they were done under laboratory conditions and may not relate to "the real world" (her quote). Whatever that means.

Old 18 October 2002, 02:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Here's a page from my favorites for all the colour blind web users out there.

Safe Web Colours for colour-deficient vision
Old 18 October 2002, 03:51 PM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

When I had my colour blindness tests at work, I saw the numbers you are supposed to see and the numbers you are not supposed to see. The nurse thinks I am an alien
Old 18 October 2002, 04:17 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Some info on this and the tests they use. If you look carfully (and you are not colour blind) then you can see the way the other numbers are made up with subtle changes in colour to the spots...

http://www.umds.ac.uk/physiology/dav...ess/cblind.htm
Old 18 October 2002, 05:39 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

I am red/green colour blind. This stopped me joining the RAF as a pilot.

It has never afected my ability to see colours in the real world such as anything car related.

I used to work as an electronics engineer at component level and did have a hard time with some of the tiny resister value colour codes, but that was very rare.

The irony of it was when i did O Level Art, i was commended for my brilliant colour perception in my paintings!

I actually took an industry standard colour blindness test at the dept of industry medical centre in Manchester, as i had to be certified to work on nuclear reactors, the colour test given by them for work related tasks is much easier, i passed that no problems. So it may be worth looking into this further in case there is a work related test that should be used!
Old 18 October 2002, 06:19 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

I'm officially red-green and hence wasn't allowed an airfield driving permit when I used to work on RAF stations. Basically, because I might not be able to tell between a red or green traffic light and drive into the side of an F4, Tornado etc.

Couldn't do those dots where you have to see the numbers, so was referred and did the latern test, which is realy hard and seems to me to be nothing like real life.

Anyway, after all this the station commander said "What a load of boll*cks", took me out to the taxiway at night, pishing it down and had the tower change the traffic lights back and forth for two minutes. I could tell execatly which was which, so he signed my driving permit.

Mad.

Cheers

Ian
Old 19 October 2002, 08:30 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I'm a red-green CB'er and when I do some of those tests I come as as completely colour-blind (useful at A-level Chemistry, the Head of Science for the college was my helper during several titration experiments) but apart from stopping me being a pilot (they specifically don't allow colour blindess) and a train driver (you can still do your license but you'll never get a job) I have no real issues.

Get your employers to do a real world test i.e. if they're worried about traffic lights get them to test you on some traffic lights, not on lab tests. If not, sue the buggers.
Old 19 October 2002, 09:47 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Red green as well, although not too severe. Also a frustrated pilot, took the tests at school and failed miserably. Careers officer told me to forget a career in flying commercial airliners, although obtaining a PPL was no problem.

Only problem I encounter is losing at snooker when I pot the bloody green thinking it's a red.