Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone know any good Solicitors

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2002, 08:48 AM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just received notifcation from the courts that they are contemplating disqualifying me in relation to a speeding offence. Fair enough i suppose but i need to get legal representation to fight my corner so i am just wondering if anyone has used a particularly good solicitor in a case like this.

I have seen an ad banner for Pryce Woodrow & Co on the speed traps site but would prefer someone locally in Nottingham if possible.

Any advice greatfully received, and before the flamers start this is not a sympathy bid i am just after some advice.

Cheers
Ali

Old 18 October 2002, 09:01 AM
bros2
Scooby Regular

Aliwrx,

Check whether you have legal cover on your insurance policy - if so, you're sorted. I had this cover and all my costs (other than a £50 excess) were met. Total bill was approx £800 (£500 fee plus travelling etc)

I've been in this situation twice. First time I had a muppet barrister, completely useless.

Second time I used Andreas Serghis, who's based out of Brighton but will travel. Ring him up for advice, then use him for the court appearance. He represented me on a 100+ mph (on motorway) charge when I was already on 6 points for a similar charge, and managed to get me off with 5 points/£180 fine, when I was expecting a ban. Excellent guy, knows his stuff, will assist you. 01273 626762.

I have no connection to Andreas other than being a VERY satisfied customer.

bros
edited to add stuff on costs

[Edited by bros2 - 10/18/2002 9:15:51 AM]
Old 18 October 2002, 09:10 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
I only know a good divorce solicitor locally!! Don't know if they deal with anything else but they are the Johnson Partnership in the city centre. They were the dogs b*llox. You could try Bhatia Best aswell cause they seem to take on most cases but being honest, I got a crappy one there and left. Let us know how you get on, but that bloke in Brighton sounds a pretty good bet. Good luck mate
Old 18 October 2002, 10:55 AM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks guy's, sounds like the guy in Brighton might be worth a shot. And thanks for the advice on legal cover on my insurance i will check that out when i get home.

Do you loose your no claims bouns if you claim on the legal cover bit?

Ali
Old 18 October 2002, 11:26 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Not sure if you do. I've only used my legal cover in a accident that wasn't my fault. I think that if you lose anything, it will probably be a couple of year NCB. Sorry I'm not much help!
Old 18 October 2002, 11:31 AM
bros2
Scooby Regular

No, claims against the legal policy don't affect your NCB, at least it didn't affect in my case.

Worth noting that they might try to offer you their own solicitor. I'd recommend that you don't do this, unless the person they suggest you use is an expert. What often happens, I'm afraid, is that you get palmed off with a local firm of solicitors who do conveyancing, licencing law, matrimonial, oh, and a bit of motoring on the side. Worth talking to whoever they offer (might be very good) but I believe you have the right to use whomsover you like.

There MAY (depends on the policy) be an issue with cost - they suggest using person X who will cost £500, you want to use person Y who costs £750.

Happy to help if you need anything else

bros
Old 18 October 2002, 12:05 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Angry

Andreas never returned any of my calls, never responded to any faxes i sent him. I tried for 3 weeks to talk to that guy. So i am not so impressed with his service.
Old 18 October 2002, 01:22 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Pls correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the legal protection bit
on motor insurance to do with recovering costs from an uninsured driver???

????BB
Old 18 October 2002, 01:30 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

I think ill ring my insurance company tonight and see what the score is with the legal cover.

Interesting how peoples of views of the same person can be so different.

Anyone else used this guy?

Keep the advice comming.

Cheers

Ali (Not looking forward to cycling to work for a while!)
Old 18 October 2002, 04:54 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

John,

Can't speak to that - sounds bang out of order. All I know is that when I had need of his services he was excellent, and got me off an almost certain ban.

Doesn't excuse him not coming back to you; even if he couldn't help, it's stupid not to keep potential clients sweet.

bros
Old 18 October 2002, 06:52 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

go for Mischcon De Reya, Southampton Row, London.

Will scare the **** out of the prosecution.
Old 19 October 2002, 10:24 PM
Sue
Scooby Regular

I used Andreas Serghis on a speeding offence that ended up in a court appearance and dragged on for months earlier this year....he was incredibly helpful....always returned my calls....gave me his private pager number to contact him if he wasnt at the office...had letters going back and forward to Brighton..faxes and calls for months...at the end of the day my case was heard "in camera" without anyone knowing about it (don't ask!!!!) and he didnt charge me a penny.He's very down to earth and genuine (unusual for a solicitor!) and,although I can only speak from personal experience I would have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone.I know that he does have a good reputation on motoring offences and therefore is extremely busy,but as mentioned before that doesnt excuse him not returning calls,I must just have been lucky