Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Problems with aftermarket warranties

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2002, 01:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Anyone had a bad experience with a warranty company? I had one with my first Impreza, a 93wrx, they wouldnt cough up for the syncro in second gear. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Saying that though, an ex of mine got her ignition coils (?something like that anyway!) replaced on an mx5, they were going to pay for one of them only, and she had to pay for the other. What they didnt realise was that they came as a pair, and had they paid for both anyway!
Old 17 October 2002, 02:14 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Having problems at the mo. Need a new steering rack. Mine is leaking. They say that gaiters, oil leaks, tracking and balancing aren't covered. Mine is leaking because the seals inside have 'gone' which means, the garage say, a new rack. The warrenty company are arguing that its LEAKING and WE DON'T COVER LEAKS!!!! I'm getting slightly p*ssed off with arguing I can tell you!! Still, not one to give up, I'll get it done one way or another!!!!
Old 17 October 2002, 02:17 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Speaking from my experience with warranties, the only one I've had that is worthwhile is from the manufacturer. 3rd party warranty (mine was warranty holdings) turned out to not cover anything that is likely to go wrong, or that could be attributed to design flaw.
Old 17 October 2002, 02:40 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hmmm...slightly worrying news - took one out for the Mx5 I bought for my wife. Still, even hearing this it looks better value than the AA check. When we looked into that we found it was pants! They basically say errr....yeah, we look at the car...don't get their hands dirty....and that's it! For £110??? (Can't remember exact price) Don't think so!

Fingers crossed then!
Old 17 October 2002, 02:50 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I'm might be about to hit my warranty company for a new turbo. I read through the warranty paperwork (including smallprint) and from what I gather they cover the turbo itself and the actuator.

They do however have a getout clause that says they will not cover anything attributable to 'wear and tear'. My car has done just short of 70k miles so the knacked turbo could just be due to wear. Anyone else had a high mileage turbo replaced under an aftermarket warranty?
Old 17 October 2002, 02:53 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

I'm with Warranty Holdings and my policy covers just about everything, except me having a meeting with, say, a brick wall...

I have used them for my PTU and Turbos and both times they paid up with no issues at all.
Old 17 October 2002, 03:14 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Mice, that's excellent news! You must have got a better policy than I had, which excluded defects, wear and tear, and just about anything.
Old 17 October 2002, 03:15 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Mine is quite good, TBH....the only drawback, if you can call it that, is that although I can have unlimited claims in a year, each can only be for up to £1000.

So that's one front lightbulb, or one tank of petrol...
Old 18 October 2002, 01:10 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

re : my previous post on this topic. My dealer spoke to the warranty company on my behalf today and they agreed to replace the turbo if it turns out to be the cause of my problems.

My dealer uses the same local garage that the warranty company use so having a sympathetic/helpful dealer has helped in my case.

Since i only bought the car last month the warranty has pretty much paid for itself already.