Education indeed!

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2002, 10:39 AM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I can't believe this

In one message, left on an answer phone, the boys allegedly said:"You are going to die soon. You are going to get stabbed in the back of the head."
And they are let back into the school! That is completely mad!
Old 10 October 2002, 10:45 AM
Avril
Scooby Regular

There are probably those that think punishing the little bleeders is against their human rights, and instead, they should be praised on their imaginative use of cutlery. Personally, I think a swift slap in the chops is in order. That and being made to sit through Songs of Praise.
Old 10 October 2002, 10:56 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Angry

If I were working in that school and they came back, I would walk out and refuse to teach ANYone until they were expelled again. If all the staff did it, they would have to sit up and take notice.

Trouble is, they've got to go SOMEwhere....

Should bring in a law allowing Retrospective-Abortion for scr0tes like these... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10 October 2002, 11:15 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Trouble is, they've got to go SOMEwhere

Yea...Prison...little *****.

dunno what the charge would be tho
Andy
Old 10 October 2002, 11:33 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

On the one hand we have "Education, education, education", and on the other we have the reality of B.Liar and his Cronies.
The DfES talks about "empowering headteachers" to stop the thugs from ruining other kids education, then, just recently, has brought in legislation which makes it against the law for a headteacher to stop a pupil going on ANY school outing, (including paid, unpaid, swimming lessons, treats etc), for reasons of bad behaviour, if that pupil has a "statement". (That means they have known problems including behavioural[!!!] which the school/LEA are trying to address).
What planet are these people from????[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
The answer to the story shown above is for the teachers to approach their unions for "permission not to teach", which will be given. They then refuse to teach the boys, and the ball is back in the LEA court.
It's about time the government got rid of the panel of lay people who have the power to overrule the decision of the governors regarding expulsion. SURELY the governors know best??
Alcazar
Old 10 October 2002, 11:37 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I bet these 2 boys never got smacked by their parents when they were young, (oh sorry that was last weeks topic)
Old 10 October 2002, 11:42 AM
bros2
Scooby Regular

Alcazar,

You state that the panel of lay people should be removed - surely we WANT lay people (as a representation of "normal" folk) to ensure that crazy educational decisions aren't taken?

As an aside, your posts are usually well thought out, but using terms such as "B.Liar" reduce the impact a little. OK, you don't like Labour, but using Sun-isms won't advance your cause.

Bros
Old 10 October 2002, 12:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bros2: Cheers for that, I'll refer to the guy as "Tone" now, after all, wasn't that what he told us to call him? Or how about Tony the Taxer? :
On a more serious note, I agree with your sentiments re the "normal" people, at least in principle. However, experience shows us that the more odd decisions are usually taken by those self same people. You've only to look at the story at the top of this thread: those three have been sent back into that school by the lay panel.
I also know of others, one of which involved verbal abuse of a sexual nature of female teachers and pupils. The boy was sent back by the panel, and when teachers went for a refusal to teach, a panel member said they were making too much fuss, and should get on with the job they were paid for!
One wonders what their response would have been had the females being abused been their wives/daughters/sisters/friends?
Alcazar.
PS: I voted for T the T, damn my eyes!:

[Edited by alcazar - 10/10/2002 12:44:23 PM]
Old 10 October 2002, 12:45 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I bet these 2 boys never got smacked by their parents when they were young, (oh sorry that was last weeks topic)
They've probably got those big Devil Dogs too...
Old 10 October 2002, 01:41 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Angry

My other half is a teacher and it's unbelieveable what goes on. She doesn't even teach in a particularly rough school. Had two mobiles nicked from her desk by kids and the schools do f*** all about it, even though she knew who had done it. The thing that makes me most mad is the attitude of the parents. When their little sh*t kids get in trouble, they take the side of their precious little darling and come down the school threatening the teacher and hurling abuse at them, saying that they are picking on their child. I mean FFS, do they really think that teachers have nothing better to do than sit around discussing which pupil to *pick on* next? They can't grasp the concept that their child is in trouble because their child is a f***ing little hooligan. When I was at school a teacher's word was better than my word and I just had to suffer the consequences.

:rant over:

Charlie.
Old 10 October 2002, 03:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

ProperCharlie: That's known as "weak parenting" m8.
It's easier to take on the school/police/society/other angry parents than it is to make your kid do as it's told. I know, I've got two teenage lads, and I'm sometimes tempted to take the easy route. Actually MAKING a teenage lad do as he's told can be a load of laffs!
It's the same idea that says you support school uniform until your kid doesn't want to wear it, then you go out of your way to undermine the school, send letters to school saying "if you want my kid to wear your f*cking uniform you better buy the f*cking stuff for him then", and make sure your kid knows that you, personally, don't support uniform, he only has to wear it 'cos the nasty school says so etc etc.
It's a lff riot!
:
Alcazar
Old 10 October 2002, 03:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic, there was a news article yesterday. Apparently, the government is publishing "parenting guidelines", which includes best advice for what to do in certain situations such as kid throwing tantrum at supermarket.

This, to me, sounds like a Good Thing providing it's good advice.

But rent-a-quotes were rolled out saying "parents know best" when it's blatently obvious that they don't have a clue in some cases.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

But something has to be done to get a level of moral code into some kids (and parents) which is sadly missing. Some things are just unacceptable, such as death threats, but what realistically can you do?

The Australia idea has already been done, and that's now an enviable society! (Not picking on Australia, but it seems that everything under the sun has been tried and to no avail)
Old 10 October 2002, 04:19 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Weak parenting is certainly a problem, but it seems in times gone passed there was more of a sense of shared responsibility - if someone saw a kid stoving in a car window with a brick they would do something about it. Now kids do what they want because they know that they will get away with it. I must admit even I am dubious about confonting kids who are making a nuisance of themselves in the street - not cos i am worried that they will attack me, it's just they all know my car, i have no choice but to leave it on the street, if i confront them for turning someone's bin over will they come back later and key my car. maybe i am as bad as everyone else... just have to shoot the ******* next time

Charlie.

[Edited by ProperCharlie - 10/10/2002 4:23:27 PM]
Old 10 October 2002, 04:28 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Surely threatening to kill someone is an offence?

Talking of bad parenting, guy in a Golf GTi yesterday decided to indulge in a spot of road rage. 2 kids in the back witnessed their father drive his car deliberately at the vehicle I was in (as a passenger) and use a multitude of bad language and threaten to beat someone (me) up at the roadside. They looked terrified in the back of the car. Why would drive like that with your family in the car?
Old 10 October 2002, 04:54 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Surely threatening to kill someone is an offence?
They are minors, which complicates the issue.

The government is very scared of setting a trend. There are thousands of children like this in the education system and nobody really knows what to do with them. The teachers are forced to act as unprotected childminders until the kids are 16, at which point, the police can take over and not be able to do anything about them.