Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New SPECS Cameras on M60

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2002, 10:09 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spotted these on Friday PM eastbound near Birch services. Awful sinking feeling, assuming that I'd already been through at least one, and that the system had already worked out my average speed.... Worse still, looked across to the other carriageway, and noticed them on the westbound side too - where I'd passed somewhat illegally five hours earlier.

Then went past again yesterday eve, and noticed the 'Speed cameras not in operation' signs. Then thought - how truthful are these???

Anyway, they are supposedly there for the duration of some impending roadworks - but they look pretty permanent to me.... Nice Victorian style wrought iron-like posts etc - the sort of things you'd see holding up the street lights on a new estate.

Be warned.....

Old 06 October 2002, 10:33 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I noticed the nice Victorian style post last week when going to the NM7 meet. Guessed that they would end up being the specs type camera mountings - generous of them to give a post that makes them fairly easily identifiable.
Thankfuly I don't use that secion of the motorway that much ! Will be using it a lot less from now on !

Richard
Old 06 October 2002, 10:33 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Saw these today. I hope the signs are true, once I saw them I *ahem* sped up a bit!

Steve
Old 07 October 2002, 08:46 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

The longterm roadworks on the M20 at folkstone have these specs cameras, they are also mounted on these nice looking poles, speed limit throught them was 50 .

Strange thing is the new longterm roadworks on the M25 j21-23 has a 40 limit and no speed cameras to be seen despite the works being more than 5 miles in length.
Old 07 October 2002, 01:27 PM
Dan A
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

Went across the 62 on friday, came back sunday and saw these, did a bit of diggin on the web and found this on the manchester police site
@@@@@@@

SPECS CAMERAS TO AID SAFETY ON MOTORWAY

posted 07/10/2002

PR02/184
3rd October 2002

From Monday, October 7, complete refurbishment of the M62 motorway between Junctions 18 and 20 (Simister Island-Thornham - approximately four miles) will take place, estimated to last up to 40 weeks. During that time, SPECS digital speed detection cameras will be installed along the roadworks area. This is the first time such cameras have been used in the Greater Manchester area. They work by measuring the speed of a vehicle over a particular distance and give an average speed. The speed restrictions during the period of the roadworks will be 50mph. Speeding motorists will be fined in the usual way.

The cameras are bright yellow in colour and will be placed on blue stanchions on the side of the motorway. Both carriageways will be monitored 24 hours a day.

Said Sgt. Christopher Nealon from GMP's Motorway Unit: "We are very keen to emphasise that this is a road safety measure aimed at reducing the number of accidents on the motorway during this time. It is not a purge to harrass drivers, nor are the cameras being introduced as an income-generating resource.

"The number of accidents increases during the winter months and we want to make the roads as safe as possible during a period when the motorway will be severely affected by restricted traffic flow. We urge motorists to drive responsibly at all times but particularly during this major undertaking".
For further information please contact The Highways Agency Information Line: 08457 504030/ www.highways.gov.uk

Cheers............... Dan
Old 07 October 2002, 01:41 PM
ChrisB

That's fair enough putting them in roadworks (IMHO) with all the narrow lanes etc.
Old 07 October 2002, 02:05 PM
Crypt
Scooby Regular

Wink

I went past these Saturday at 50 like it said aand the amount of cars speeding past me and looking at me with "that look" was silly.

I meaan they aint hard to spot being yellow.

When you see an Evo doing 50mph on a motorway theres defo something more to it.
Old 07 October 2002, 02:50 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

There's an active specs system further west on the M62 in roadworks. (Or is it the M60 - I was coming back from Bootle east...)

There's a pretty sign that says "2862 speeding offences detected in the last month". Note detected, not prosecuted...

So, "dunno" is the answer.
Old 07 October 2002, 04:33 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments Guys.

Dan A - the police press release implies that these Specs cameras will only be there for the duration of the roadworks. But, looking at the posts, they seem pretty permanent to me. After all, there are some on the M6 on the Thelwall viaduct near J21, and these are on the roadwork supports etc, not on some expensive poles like the M60 ones.

Another case of these things being introduced by stealth....
Old 07 October 2002, 04:43 PM
Dan A
Scooby Regular

Harry,

Totally agree on that . Looks like expensive permanent posts
not temporary ones.

But 40 weeks is a long time, if they r digging the place up

Cheers

Dan
Old 07 October 2002, 06:24 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

The SPECS cameras that were on the M6 around Knutsford services during roadworks were on these fancy posts, they all went when the roadworks finished.

Those on the Thelwall Viaduct are concealed "on the roadwork supports etc," rather than exposed on the fancy lampposts

Yellow painted cameras that do not flash do not show up well after dark
Old 07 October 2002, 06:40 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Isn't it a shame that motorway roadworks can't be completed with as much speed and efficiency as the installation of GATSOs and SPEC [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

FORTY WEEKS to re-lay a bit of tarmac is ridiculous!!!

mb
Old 08 October 2002, 12:24 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Drove up to Scotland at the weekend, M6, M74.

Road Angel alerted to SPECS cameras a few times. Very hard to spot on the over-head gantry. Car magazine says speed cameras are expected to grow from the current 4,000-odd to 13,000 in the next two years.

Also, Car says "interestingly, rumour has it that the £350,000 cameras on the A43 in Northampton don't work properly... because they only cover the outside lane..." But I wouldn't count on it.

Best get yourselves a GPS camera detector.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 09 October 2002, 11:18 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Good advice Richard - can't trust the eyes anymore....