Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bernie Ecclestone thinks F1 is boring ...

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 04:04 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

AB, the trouble with those circuits is, you wouldn't be able to complete a pit stop because the locals will have 'borrowed' the spares, and the b*****ds would probably nick the ICE when you stopped

editted for bod spulling

[Edited by CrisPDuk - 10/1/2002 4:05:53 PM]
Old 10 January 2002, 04:32 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Did anyone see the post-race press release from Williams-BMW a few races ago? Apparently Montoya was able to pass someone because the BMW technicians raised his rev limiter temporarily using the two-way link, giving him a temporary grenade-spec engine. Pathetic. What we're seeing at the moment is nothing more than bloody life-size Scalextric.

Following JohnF's post, I remember an interview with Damon in the mid-90s where his idea was remove the wings, fit fat slicks and steel brake discs.

It would mean:

- longer braking distances = more outbraking opportunities
- more time in corners = more on-the-limit car control
- no wings = more slipstreaming = more passing

If I hear James Allen talking one more time about how exciting the race tactics are going to be, I'll kick the telly. Let's have some exciting racing ... as in WSB. Nice one Colin

[Edited by brickboy - 10/1/2002 4:34:11 PM]
Old 01 October 2002, 01:33 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Saw something in the papers at the weekend that quoted Bernie. He said that currently F1 is "too processional" (well, didn't take him long to catch on ) and said it needs less downforce, no driver aids etc.

So how long before he pushes it through, do you think? The FIA should listen to the drivers -- Berger, Hill etc were saying this 8 years ago!
Old 01 October 2002, 01:48 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I dont think that would really help much... the big teams would still be able to deliver the faster cars with or without driver aids and better aero packages. They'd still have the finances to develop the basic car and engines/brakes/reliability etc.

My own guess is that the "winners penalty" weight addition, as used in GT racing, would be more effective... making it much harder for a team to have too much of an advantage over the rest.

My opinion is based on the GT races i've watched (though i haven't seen that many recently). They've been a lot closer than the totally predictable F1 procession of,

Ferrari followed by "the rest" followed by Minardi,

cheers,

Marty
Old 01 October 2002, 02:35 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
it is really quite simple.

Throw the wings away, fit flat bottoms with no venturies and put stonking great slicks back on the cars.

That will shift the emphasis from Aero to mechanical grip and will get rid of this crap we have now of getting near a car in front causes massive understeer.

Until they go back to mechanical grip having more influence than aero, nothing will change.

Why do you think Formula Ford is such good racing and F3 is so processional!! wings and aero aids, get rid of them!
Old 01 October 2002, 02:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Get rid of wings????
What on earth would "Always" users say??
:
Alcazar
Old 01 October 2002, 02:38 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree with JF, except to add that a decent diffuser wouldn't be bad, as they are effective even in traffic, need to keep the speeds high for the excitement factor!

Paul

Old 01 October 2002, 02:40 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

but you need front aero aids to make difusers work, otherwise the car will do wheelies as the aero centre of presure moves rearwards as speed increases.

They have to go too! Sorry!
Old 01 October 2002, 03:17 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

In my opinion, there is very little that can be done now to save F1 from what looks like a terminal decline in its 'attractiveness' as a global televised sport.

This is not necessarily a bad thing.

F1 used to be the pinacle of motorsport for three reasons:

#1 There drivers were heroic characters who regularly had to deal with the the likelyhood that anyone amongst them might perish or suffer grave injury in the event of the type of accident, which these days would be treated as being a non-event. And on top of this, the off duty F1 drivers lead some pretty interesting lives and there was the element of 'glamour' that brought in more interest.
#2 The team owners/designers/engineers displayed varying degrees of genius and it was captivating to watch them push and bend the rules in the pursuit of glory.

#3 The cars themselves were works of art as much as pieces of engineering.

#2 & #3 had an obvious appeal for 'people like us', but the wider audience was only ever really interested in #1.

At this point, I do not believe that just changing the aerodynamics and removing driver aids is enough to save 'the sport'.

P.S I am 33 and have attended some fantastic GP's from Monza in 90 (Schumi's 2nd race) to Magny Cours this year (nice Air display by the Mirage 2000 on the Saturday but appart from that, a bit tedious.)

Old 01 October 2002, 03:26 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bernie's right. F1 is boring as hell....
Old 01 October 2002, 03:26 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Strangely, when the rules were lax, and everyone was cheating anyway, the racing was much more exciting.....
Old 01 October 2002, 03:42 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'd like to see a return of the halcyon days of the 1970s with the proper geezer drivers. You know, smoke beer, drink tabs, **** birds and still get up the next morning and race. In fact, it should be compulsary. Geezer F1 rules state that during the pit stops not only should fuel and tyres be changed but the driver has to "snorkel" two smirnoff ice (think of the sponsorship!!!)
Grid position should be decided by a punch up in the local kebab shop by all the drivers the night before.
not only should finishing position be awarded points but also 10 points are up for grabs for the lariest broadside round a pre race nominated corner.
All points are invalid if the winning driver dosent perform a fat smokin victory donut in the parc ferme.
And if the driver doesent cop off with one of the pit lane dollies the night after the race.
in fact the best rule would be no rules.
if you really want to enter a 72 seater F1 powered double decker bus then you can.
Are you listening bernie?

astraboy.
Old 01 October 2002, 03:47 PM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

Cool

Astraboy for Prime Minister
Old 01 October 2002, 03:49 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Also, new circuits would be a good idea, how about the exciting but dangerous Sussex Pikey campsite night race? or the equally thrilling Moss Side Ghetto race?

astraboy.
Old 01 October 2002, 04:17 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better yet - for really entertaining racing get rid of two wheels - or has this been tried already?

Nick
Old 01 October 2002, 04:24 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

I think Raikonen (sp?) has tried the 2 wheels aproach on more than one occasion, didn't work for him.

Paul
Old 01 October 2002, 04:51 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

JohnF,

I agree. The problem at the moment is that the cars rely so much on aerodynamics that following cars can not keep up on the "twisties" (sorry, had to say that ). This reduces the ability for the following car to overtake.

Bring back slicks!!
Old 01 October 2002, 05:02 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with JohnF.

Get rid of the wings, bring back slicks, get rid of traction/launch control and didn't they used to have turbos?

I ave been saying for years it is Scalextric for people with far too much money!

F1 is dead as a sport, it is now big business. Shame really.
Old 01 October 2002, 05:08 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If I hear James Allen talking one more time about how exciting the race tactics are going to be, I'll kick the telly.
Or more depressingly, how next year "we are going to see some real changes with the teams closer than ever performace-wise" They're doing it now. Teams improving their engine, new wind tunnels (johnF's comments re areodynamic grip having too great an influence), driver changes... Apparently all these leads to "exciting races (tm)".

Old 01 October 2002, 05:08 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Bernie Ecclestone thinks F1 is boring ...
and IMHO he is absolutely right!!!
Old 01 October 2002, 05:15 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

christ get him a job at Scotland Yard quick
Old 01 October 2002, 05:17 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

and bring back real corners, non of this chicane bollox!
Old 01 October 2002, 05:18 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

bugger. Thought i had it then!
Old 01 October 2002, 05:19 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Piped at the post, John. A bit like Schumacher on Sunday
Old 01 October 2002, 05:38 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Pavlo is right.. the strict rules had led to conformity in the cars to a great extent.. this means that everyone is pursuing the same means to reach the ultimate car.. some clearly better than others.. finance being the biggest factor...

When the rules were more lax, people found different ways to compete.. therefor the rules should govern physical footprint of the car and capacity.. and safety of course... the other rule should be ... go as fast as possible.. that's it...
Old 01 October 2002, 06:21 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

I can remember not that many years ago drivers finishing the Monaco Grand Prix with their right hands bleeding from all the gearchanges. Now they just drive automatics and "point and squirt".
Old 01 October 2002, 07:00 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

what about gearsticks??? miss a gear lose a place.

Dave
Old 01 October 2002, 08:54 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just look at CART, all running similar cars with big steel brakes and proper gear changers. Ultra competitive (ok Di Matta may be a little exceptional!) and great fun to watch. Even the traction control (which doesn't really work) has been banned next year. It is everything F1 isn't. It is like F1 when it was interesting. If you saw what Martin Brundle was doing with the old benetton before the GP started then you will know what i mean, that demanded respect for the guy's skill behind the wheel. Then see him smash the lap record with the ferrari, boring by comparison and he didn't really work too hard to achieve it

Give schumacher a proper car and lets see how good he really is
Old 01 October 2002, 09:47 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

Astraboy, superb !

Anyone else think old Bernie looks like a seedy newsagent with a larger than average selection of top shelf material ?

1 Ban the telemetry, pit boards only
2 no electronics allowed
3 Big tall skinny tyres
4 No areodynamic aids (apart from 5)
5 Big Tache gains extra points
6 All drivers to drink 2 litres of Diet Coke pre race
7 Lady drivers !
8 Parc Ferme must be a Maccy D's car park

Old 02 October 2002, 07:34 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular