Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

whose right, whose wrong

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2002, 05:30 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you order something from a company, change the aesthetic appearance and fit it to something. when you switch on you realise its the wrong part.

who is at fault? the supplier, the customer, 50/50.

please help.
Old 16 September 2002, 05:36 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Assuming you ordered the right part, the company supplied the correct part and you then changed your mind then you are at fault so to speak. They kept their part of the arrangement.

You then modified thesaid part, alltered it's appearance/function

sounds like you 'moved the goalposts'

Perhaps they will swap it for something you do want although if you have 'damaged' it then unlikely.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 9/16/2002 5:37:46 PM]
Old 16 September 2002, 05:39 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Some more details would be helpful....

But it sounds like you should have checked the part was correct before changing its aesthetic appearance

[Edited by carl - 9/16/2002 5:40:18 PM]
Old 16 September 2002, 05:41 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Kippax

Yep, more info about the product/part required please
Old 16 September 2002, 07:33 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

ok. cant name the company but basically, i paid for a boost gauge by credit card over the phone and it arrived next day. i fitted it (took me ages as its built into the dash) and glued a different bevel over the top of the existing one hence the irreversible changes.

it wasnt until i drove off and the dial only moved 10 degrees that i realised it went up to 10x100 kPa instead of 1.5x100kPa. after some investigation it turns out to be a mechanical gauge not a mechanical boost gauge. as i said, they definately have sent the wrong part and i have the receipt to prove it.

there is more to this story and i have made a suggestion to this company for a settlement but please advise me first.

[Edited by Kippax - 9/16/2002 9:07:07 PM]
Old 16 September 2002, 08:02 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

If I had sent someone the wrong part/item and they came back saying it wouldn't fit or didn't look right, and they then told me they had altered it to suit, my first question to them would be "did it not occur to you because you had to change it, it may be the wrong part"

I'm no legal eagle, but I would have said it's your responsibility to verify you have the correct part before "modifying" it, does what you have done to said item invalidate the warrany?

I would say this is the kind of response you can expect, give us some more details for better advice, I think alot depends on what parts/items you are actually talking about. Car alarms are not the best analogy as they are hidden and generally fit most makes models.

Old 16 September 2002, 08:30 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

mj, i must have been editing the post as you replied. see above.
Old 16 September 2002, 09:03 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

you were,

never bought a boost guage myself, the 1.9TDi caddy van isn't ready for one yet.

How much was it? why not admit defeat ( or jumping in feet first )and put it to the supplier that they give you the first part and the new replacement at cost.
Old 17 September 2002, 01:03 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

paul, carl. you were gonna advise me.
Old 17 September 2002, 01:19 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

But it sounds like you should have checked the part was correct before changing its aesthetic appearance
I think this advice still stands. Is it not possible to get hold of the proper one, then swap the bezels over (i.e. put the 'modified' bezel on the proper gauge) and return the wrong one?
Old 17 September 2002, 01:20 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Kippax

I tend to agree with mj here, depends on how well you know the supplier, you may get them to swap it, i do sympathise with ya but - they should have sent the right part and you shhould have checked before fitting/modifing it, if you retuirn it and it is not saleable then it may be tough titty.

If on the other hand it does not work, you return it, get another one then claim it is the wrong item and return the replacement the you are sorted, i could not condone doing this mind, plus you may not get away with it.

Honesty is sometime the best policy

good luck

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 9/17/2002 1:20:47 PM]
Old 17 September 2002, 03:02 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

thanks. i too think i am partly to blame. the difference is that i'm big enough to admit it. they wont meet me half way and won't admit any liability. AT THE END OF THE DAY THEY SENT THE WRONG GAUGE.

but much much much more annoying is that i've sent emails which were not answered and phoned this company for a whole week until eventually on friday afternoon when i insisted, someone had the ***** to deal with it. got to hand it to the lady who answers the phone though for some of the lamest excuses i've ever heard. pure quality.

why couldn't they send the correct one second time around?

did they actually have the right one in the first place?

hmm, i doubt it.

Old 17 September 2002, 03:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Kippax

Just a thought, did you pay by credit card, if so talk to the card company ask them to withold or reclaim their paynment as you where sent the qwrong part and the comopany refuses to change it.
Old 17 September 2002, 04:30 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

cheers paul, but i've accepted i made a mistake. i just want the tuning company in the midlands to do the same. they can keep the lot. they're welcome to it.