Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Battlefield Tours ???

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2002, 07:28 AM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone done the beaches at Normandy tour. Me and a few mates are thinking of going in a few weeks to see Sword, Juno etc and wondered where to stay and any other advice.

Cheers

PP
Old 12 September 2002, 10:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Make sure you go to the 360 degree cinema. Can't remember exactly where it is (Arromanche??) but very moving.
Old 12 September 2002, 10:31 AM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Arrow

The WW2 museum/memorial in Caen is well worth a visit. They arrange minibus tours of the D-Day beaches from the museum as well. IMHO it's one of the best WW2 related places to visit - it was set up by donations from all of the countries involved in WW2 and is very well done. Lots of interactive demos, exhibits and models of various WW2 related items. There is also a lot of videos/documentaries which you can view after you've been round the exhibition itself. Most impressive part is the full scale fighter which hangs from the roof in the atrium - think it's a Hurricane but my memory fails me

Throughly recommended!
Old 12 September 2002, 11:33 AM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

Cheers

Where abouts did you stay?

PP
Old 12 September 2002, 01:32 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Smile

We stayed quite far from there - visited Caen on the way back to the ferry as we had a whole day to kill.
Old 12 September 2002, 01:58 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

PP - you could look in on some WW1 battlefield sites as well - Ypres near the northern coast by belgium - me and a mate are looking to go over in November to the Somme battlefield...
Old 12 September 2002, 04:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The Somme is totally awe inspiring. Thiepval is an absolute must, and the Lochnagar crater also pretty amazing.
Try getting a book out of the library called "The Somme Battlefields" by Martin and Mary Middlebrook. It left me wanting to see it, and to know more.
"Moving" doesn't even start to describe the Somme!
Old 12 September 2002, 05:01 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Thumbs up

If you get the chance do it, I went about 4 weeks ago, stayed in Cherbourg (About 30 mins away) from the D-Day beaches, visited Pont du Hoc (Full of craters), Sword and Omaha etc, the American Cemetary above Omaha beach is simply one of the most moving things I have ever seen, well worth a visit, I also then drove to the Somme too, Thiepreval is amazing so many names of guys they couldnt find - it brings it all home, very moving indeed.
Old 12 September 2002, 05:04 PM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

We are intending to go to Winston Churchills office first to see the actual plans for the attack. I imagine I sound a bit train spottish but we are all young ex-squaddies that just want to pay our respect.

Old 12 September 2002, 05:07 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Puppypower,

If you manage to get to the american cemetary the walls of the momument have all the d-day maps on there, I couldnt believe how well maintained it all was, very breathtaking, bizzarely not as lonely feeling as the Somme cemetaries, I counted over 20 odd when I was looking at where to go in a 5-10 mile square
Old 12 September 2002, 05:10 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

Alcazar - also read 'Somme' by Lyn Barker (I think) fascinating book about the battle, including interviews with survivors (the book was written in 1980).

Always been fascintated by the Somme since I read an account by a member of the Kings Royal Rifles coming up to the line on the afternoon of the first push (1 July) and describing a sound like the buzzing of thousands of flies or a swarm of bees. As he got closer he found out it was the screams from the estimated 10,000 wounded who were still lying in 'no mans land' from the morning attacks.

Makes you think.
Old 12 September 2002, 08:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Certainly does. Try "the Hell they called High wood", can't remember the author.
To stand in any 1st world war cemetery is to feel lonely now. There are so few left with any reason to visit apart from people like us.
Try a moonlight visit, if you're up to it. Wow!
Also, if you want real loneliness and sadness, go to one of the few German cemeteries, where there can be anything up to 70,000 people buried. No flowers, darker, more trees, infinitely sad. as the defeated army, the French were not as keen to give them space to bury their dead, hence large concentration cemeteries and up to 4 soldiers per grave.
And if you want an experience to bring it home and bring tears to your eyes, try Oradour-sur-Glane, near Limoges!!!!