Sponsored by:

MY02 or Audi RS2?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2001, 12:08 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Well don't keep us in suspenders Gareth, what did you opt for?!

In Lisbon for the next five years, LHD suits me fine! I can't nip back and forth to Germany, but would hope that if I opted for an Audi, I would be able to commission a German dealer to look out for a sorted one at the right price.

M5 Touring sounds savage, but there have been horror stories here about the running/repair costs I seem to remember. I was looking at the 330D Touring reasoning that fuel costs make it the same price as a Scoob over five years, but I just found out I get severely discounted fuel, so that changes the picture! 330i touring just raises the price overall by five grand methinks. I must look at the figures again.

BJH
Old 23 July 2001, 12:39 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RS2 is no slug round corners, its disadvantage is that it weighs in at a hefty 1500kilos compared to the Impreza's 1300kg. Its engine more than makes up for that. As for turbo lag, full torque (305lb/ft) arrives at 2000rpm so you'll be down the road in any gear before an Impreza driver saw which way you went.

Definately a great investment, but remember what Gareth said.
Old 23 July 2001, 09:53 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Question

Just saw a write-up on the Audi in Car, says they are available for about 17k and have (comparatively) cheap running costs. Those who don't know better would also expect them to be better build quality than the Impreza (paint, interior).

However, there was also the implication that the driving experience was not up to the mark - sloppy gearchange and steering IIRC.

If I'm after a performance wagon for that kind of money, to keep as a family car for five years (no company car scheme here!), what are the panel's views? Anyone have any experience of them?

BTW, forget the RS4, I don't have that kind of money!

BJH
Old 23 July 2001, 10:06 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Brendan,

An RS2 would kick an Impreza into the middle of next week on all counts. The MY02, or whatever it is going to be called cannot hope to match the RS2 on build quality, performance, braking, etc. It's true that the gearshift might not have the precision of a Scoob, but that's about it. If you just sat in both cars, one after the other, I could tell you now which one you'd prefer.

It's true that the RS2 is some years old now, but if you can pick up a relatively low mileage one, it will still be fantastic. Most of the depreciation has been done, and in 5 years time, it'll be worth double what a 5 year old MY02 Impreza would be.

Sorry to appear to be kicking the Impreza, but it's just not in the same league. Go with the RS2 and enjoy 315 reliable bhp, 305ft/lbs of torque, NUL or SUL ( doesn't matter) and Porsche developed brakes and suspension. Magic

Matt

P.S 0-60 in 4.7 and over 165 top end might swing it for you too!
Old 23 July 2001, 10:20 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

In agree with Matt (hi m8 !!). The RS2 is on my list of cars to have in my dream garage..... mmmmmmm...
Old 23 July 2001, 10:41 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm... thanks guys.

And if I threw a PPP and need for awesome handling and roadholding (I've never been interested in straight-line speed) into the equation, does that swing it at all?

BJH
Old 23 July 2001, 10:59 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

The RS2 has loads of understeer and enormous turbo lag, you really need to drive one.
I have an S4 avant and an STI, I'll always drive the STI if I want to have fun, and the Audi if I want to go long distances.
Re gearshift, I had to get a quickshift fitted to the Audi almost as soon as I bought it, it really was that bad - but I knew about the quickshift kits so it didn't bother me.
Chuck
Old 23 July 2001, 11:30 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Ta Chuck. The handling is something that concerns me as I don't expect to be doing much motorway work - also how well does such a German car react to poor road surfaces, aren't they designed for autobahn blasts? Thanks for the turbo lag reminder, it's one of the things I hated most about my Terzo, coming from non-turbo cars before. Took me ages to work out how to overtake along glimpses of straight country road.

Fussy, difficult, pedantic - moi?

Interesting debate though - if they are so awesome, why don't more people have them? Limited issue?

BJH
Old 23 July 2001, 11:32 AM
Gareth Williams
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brendan,

Recently I was looking to buy a sporty estate and narrowed it down to; WRX '01/BMW330i or dse/Audi RS2/S4 etc. I got to drive 2 RS2's and was impressed with one and the complete opposite with the other one. Basically there are a few RS2's out there at 15 to 20k which are completely shagged out and are bad news. However if you go and find a very well looked after £20k+ plus RHD or LHD car you will be very impressed. Best to try at least 2/3 cars before you decide. Might also be worth looking at a M5 touring, very nice car but LHD only.
Good luck.
Gareth.
Old 23 July 2001, 01:24 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

RS2 and S4 are two different animals. I think most of the motoring fraternity are in agreement that an S4 isn't a great car, whereas the RS2 is somewhat of a classic, being co-developed with Porshe it has a reputation for being a serious drives tool. I have a Scoob WRX sportwagon as a second car but would readily trade for an RS2 if I could find a good one.And therein lies the catch you have to find a good one or expect high maintenance costs. But to suggest that it is not as much fun as a scoob....I would have to agree to differ.
Cheers
Steve
Old 23 July 2001, 03:06 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

RS2 anyday of the week over an MY01 I think! Shame they are so rare but thats whats made them a real family supercar.

RHD's are an absolute fortune and LHD are still kicking around 14-18K for a good one.
Old 23 July 2001, 03:16 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Coming from three Audi's to my first Subaru.... if I could find a decent RS2, then I'd take it anyday over the MY01.
Old 23 July 2001, 03:26 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry
Can I retract my last post, personally I think a new Scooby would totally blitz an RS2 in all departments including build quality
There thats better..... it just wouldn't be right for ME and HARJ to agree on anything
Cheers
Steve
Old 23 July 2001, 04:00 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Wink

Please retract my last post as I cannot agree with Steve on anything!

I think Audi's are cack and Steve is wrong LOL
Old 23 July 2001, 04:43 PM
Gareth Williams
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Brendan,

Sorry to sound like a 'tyre kicker' but I didn't buy any of the cars listed...so far. The S4 was not nice at all, RS2 too expensive for a 5 year old, 330dse a bit too sensible and the 330i too new/expesive. As for the MY01 I couldn't afford to get the spec I'd really want-UK Car/PPP/18' Wheels/Morettes/SS exhaust etc.I'm still thinking about what to get before my M3 arrives in May '02(I know it sounds mad to look at a 5 door and then go for a 3 door coupe, that's life!). I still want a sporty estate but one that's a really good overall buy in the meantime. I reckon I will still end up buying a Scoobie for the next 10 months... as soon as I find the right one..
Cheers,
Gareth.
P.S. M5 touring would be fairly expensive to run but if you bought a good one (at a good price-£14 to £16K LHD) the saving in the purchase price would dull some of the other cost pains.