Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

my job sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2002, 07:21 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe I'm having to resign because my job has got so bad recently it's making me ill!

I just feel the need to get it off my chest so here goes.

A few months back we had a certain amount of re-structuring and I got a new manager and a new head of department. Both are very short sighted. my role changed significantly to the point where everyone I helped (I work as sort of a data supply/analysis/problem solving role to internal and external clients) needed to request my help through my manager so my time could be charged out to other (internal) departments, the problem is they made it so expensive 90% of the people don't ask for my help anymore so my workload is drying up at a very dramatic rate. And I'm being given any old crap to fill my days. To make matters worse (and this is the best bit) any work I do get I'm not allowed to ask for any help from other people. I'm currently building a user form in excel but got stuck on a bit of code, so asked the resident expert, was then told by my boss that we could only discuss it outside work as it's not his job!!! WTF? we both work for the same company in the same department - how can us bouncing idea's around be bad idea (it was for like 10 mins). Surely me sitting at my desk getting nowhere is not so good, so now I feel like I can't ask for help so my boss is basically making me suffer.

We've had differences in the past before he was my boss (I use excel a lot and he doesn't like it for some reason thinks it's a waste of our time). After going on a VBA overview he asked me to explain what I'd learn't as he didn't beleive it was a legitimate course for the company to send ME on (others went on the course and none of them got spoken to) even though my boss at the time approved it!

I feel like I'm being persicuted. So much so I am now giving in my notice, I have no other job to go to yet but can't stand being at that place any longer, as long as I can pay the mortgage and bills I'll take any job!!

Sorry about that just wanted to get it off my chest, any opinions are welcome

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 22 July 2002, 07:42 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

That sounds pretty bad, Matt. If you've got someone higher up in the hierarchy on your neck, use the same strategy as him and go tell HIS boss what's going on.

Nowadays, internal communication is considered a very important company aspect, hell, I even studied that during my Marketing course! What a lot of BS this guy gives you and how wrong he is about what he does! He must have something personal against you. Did you **** his wife or something? j/k

Try asking him what the hell is wrong with him and why he wants to annoy you. Ask him if he wants you to go and tell him you will if he so wishes, and then tell HIS boss. Oh, and after that, go **** his wife
Old 22 July 2002, 08:47 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Definitely contact his Boss and inform him in writing of everything that has happened, stating dates, times etc and if any other managers/staff where present when these incidents took place, also send a copy to the HR department and let his Boss know you have done this.
Then if no action is taken to resolve the situation to your satisfaction within a reasonable timeframe. Then and only then resign if you feel that you are left with no other choice.
What you must do once you have resigned is apply for a hearing at an industrial tribunal claiming constructive dismissal within 3 months of the date of you leaving.

I made the mistake of leaving it to late to claim constructive dismissal from an employer who made my life a living hell for a long time, including during a time of great personnel loss. The sort of things that they did was to penalise me for taking time off due to an industrial accident, also they did not stop untrue rumours of my sons death. Harassing me on the phone when I phoned up to inform them that I would not be in due to my father having died 2 hours earlier. Deliberately loosing holiday forms. Putting me down as sick when on agreed leave for the birth of my son. I could go on and on with examples of the bad treatment I took for a long time.

Back on subject above all else make sure that you inform the HR department and his Boss of this harassment because at a tribunal they can claim that if they didn't know it was going on, then as a company they are not to blame.

Regards ian

edited to add if you are being made unwell by the situation make sure you see your doctor and tell them how bad you feel due to the stress that work is causing you.

[Edited by ian/555 - 7/22/2002 8:49:48 PM]
Old 22 July 2002, 08:57 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

DEFINATELY make a fuss about it. If you are prepared to leave anyway, what do you have to lose?
Speak to his boss, or HIS boss, or the MD of the company. Just don't accept the status quo.
Old 22 July 2002, 10:17 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Angry

Matt, I feel for you you poor ******.

1) get in a union
2) tell someone higher as suggested before but beware. if the strategy is to lose staff by bullying, they may all be in on it.
3) don't resign now. that may be what they want. you must stay until you have found another job. take the *******s down if you go down but you wont go down if you GET ANOTHER JOB FIRST. it might be the best thing you ever did.
4) keep a record but don't show it to anyone except the union.
5) give me his address and i'll go and **** his missus.

Keep us posted and dont forget, you can beat these *******.

Stu.
Old 22 July 2002, 10:41 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Matt,

If you don't mind working in Swindon mail me a CV
Old 22 July 2002, 11:18 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

cheers chaps,

do you all know something about his missus that I don't???? By the way she works in the department too...

Jon, CV on the way.

Matt
Old 22 July 2002, 11:35 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

My soon to be wife went through something very similar not long ago, she got through it by logging all conversations in a diary, confirming all conversations with, and requests from, her boss by e-mail (thus creating an indisputable record), and discussing the situation weekly with her HR manager and also a friend of hers within the company who was on the same management level as her boss. The upshot of it was, she created a log of his failings which he could not defend to his bosses, he was persuaded that it was in his best interests to leave, and she now has his job

Hang on in there, record Everything, and Always COVER YOUR OWN ***!
Old 23 July 2002, 07:57 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

Not sure on the labour laws over here but the accepted process to follow here:
- Try address issue with your boss directly. Raise the points that make it difficult/impossible to do your job (as per job description preferably).
- If no joy approach HR.
- HR should then act as mediators and if necessary bring in your boss' boss.
- If that doesn't work you can approach whatever labour practice ombudsman you have in the UK.

Agree with the other views though, don't let it continue as is...
Old 23 July 2002, 09:33 AM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

Polarbearit,

What kind of people would you look for, I am looking to change IT jobs in the near future and am very local to Swindon.

M.
Old 23 July 2002, 12:26 PM
yoza
BANNED

Wink

If your boss wasnt there anymore would that help?
"SOMEONE I KNOW" is a bit of a majician,he can make people disappear for a small fee..........
Dont just leave....stay and fight,make "his" life a misery by being a pain in the ****,just do the least amount of work possible,but dont do nothing that'll get you the sack.See it as a game you against him,you may even enjoy it.
Later Yoza majicians apprentice
Old 23 July 2002, 12:45 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Put up for now, jobs are few and far between. Get a job before you quit. Other advice above is sound, keep a diary and you may have cause for constructive dismissal, laws are a lot tighter thee days.

Good Luck

Dave
Old 23 July 2002, 11:47 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

thanks for the encouragement and advice, it's great (in a funny sort of way) to know it's not just happening to me.

I've pulled up my latest appraisial which shows how busy I was just a couple of months ago, proving the restructure has resulted in a loss of work coming my way and no real attempts have been made to remedy this.

I had a chat with the boss and was basically told that for now he will give me a job desciption but it will basically be 'any crap that comes up' nice way of putting it (but I know he speaks his mind so isn't as bad as it sounds). However i didn't join the company 3 years ago to be in position now of 'any old crap handler'. Need to think of my career, so I'm still leaving, but I will wait a week or so before handing in my notice (unless i get offered a job before ).

Again, thanks.

Matt.
RX7 on hold (again).