Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gyrodec Vs. Orbe Vs. LP12

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2002, 10:22 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK i run a rega planar 3 with a rewired rb300 arm and elys cartridge.

The question is: is it worth upgrading to any of these 3 and if so which one?

(My music tastes are very varied, classical/jazz/rock/soul/you name it really but push comes to shove classical reproduction is most inportant especially voices in opera recordings)

Thanks in advance guys,

Seb
Old 29 June 2002, 10:56 PM
Luke
BANNED

To be honest ..you need to tell us what else you are using???/ maybe a better amp or ore-amp would help etc. Michelle(Spelling!!) are only up the raod from me. They are good ,use to have one. But the rega well set up ( remember it suffers from feed back so isolate it on a stand or wall mount) with a good arm etc takes some beating.... There is also a motor upgrade that is advertised in "Hi-fi" world and is said to be great. If you buy a LInn make SURE the upgrades are good and it is well set up..... Ive seen a few badly set up

Good luck

Old 30 June 2002, 12:36 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

Luke

I have an onix oa21s amp with SOAP power supply driving morduant short 530 speakers at the moment though downstairs i have some acoustic energy flooorstanders I may bring up tp the vinyl system as they are undoubtedly better and are wasted really on a little denon cd reciever thingy (which is fab incidentally for what it cost).

This morning after sleeping on it I am more keen on keeping the rega, upgrading the cartridge, and saving a lot of money!

I also have an old quad 405 amp a friend gave me which needs a full refurb and quad wil do this if you take it to the factory.

Old 30 June 2002, 05:18 PM
Luke
BANNED

Sebastian

QUad............ FORGET the amp its a powerdumping piece of crap. They only made 2 good products ..The 57 and the 63 speaker.. The early valve stuff is terrible.

Check out the motor upgrade kit..
Old 30 June 2002, 07:04 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Many years ago i looked at upgrading my deck. The way I see things, thats the thing that matters. Pointless having great amps and speakers if you cant get the information off the source. I looked at the LP12 but thought it overated. In the end I went for a Roksan Xerxes and never regretted it. Even with an average amp and speakers it works its magic.
Dont know whether its still available but i would add it to your list!
Old 30 June 2002, 07:52 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

I agree with that logic Howard.

Mmm i tested an LP12 at Harrods yesterday in the Linn room and to be honest it wasnt good enough to make me cough for it.

If I do get anything it'll be an Orbe: it looks so good it is art and if it sounds as good as it is cracked up to then all the better.
Old 01 July 2002, 01:12 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt have thought the Harrods demo room would be up to much, certainly wasnt when I used to live down in London. There used to be a good hi-fi shop up around the Harley Street area and one in SE1, Cathedral Hifi or similar. Dont know if they are still around as its a long time since I lived in London.

When youre looking to spend the amount of money on a deck that gets you a LP12 or similar I would want a decent listening room. They may even allow you to bring your amp and speakers in. Remember, a deck like the one you suggest need a good arm and a moving coil cartridge, so budget for these too.