Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

It's not just Facebook listening....

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2021, 11:23 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default It's not just Facebook listening....

We all know Facebook listen to your conversations and then show adverts related to it.

Yesterday while in B&Q we were talking about new doors. I belive I have Facebook to only run when I open the app and haven't searched on my phone for doors.

So what else on my phone is listening in?

Old 12 July 2021, 11:35 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Make sure to check your app permissions for Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Instagram and ensure they don't have access to the microphone.
Old 12 July 2021, 12:00 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

If you have an android device its listening all the time, Apple not so bad as I understand it (android user myself)
Old 12 July 2021, 12:04 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

If you have Google apps or an android phone check your location settings. Probably picked up where you were or walked past.
Old 12 July 2021, 01:52 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

The most annoying part of this for me is, you show interest in something right ? You Google it, Amazon, Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree or whatever. Buy the thing you had interest in, job done.
You then spend the whole month seeing adds for the thing you've already bought.
Actually more annoying is ebay sending messages "because you're interested in a Dewalt 18v battery, you may like this bosch 240v lawnmower" or some other nonsense like a fortnight after buying something.
The following 3 users liked this post by CharlySkunkWeed:
Old 12 July 2021, 01:55 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
The most annoying part of this for me is, you show interest in something right ? You Google it, Amazon, Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree or whatever. Buy the thing you had interest in, job done.
You then spend the whole month seeing adds for the thing you've already bought.
Actually more annoying is ebay sending messages "because you're interested in a Dewalt 18v battery, you may like this bosch 240v lawnmower" or some other nonsense like a fortnight after buying something.
Eaby emails, sometimes you're just browsing. For the most part they are too much.
Old 14 July 2021, 08:53 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Was chatting to new girlfriend over WhatsApp call about uber and bolt and she was saying how bolt was so much cheaper.
next day I get bolt ads on Facebook.
I've never used bolt in my life or even knew about it before conversation.
Old 15 July 2021, 07:40 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Whatsapp is owned by Facebook now so I am not surprised.
Old 15 July 2021, 11:37 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Install this plugin in Firefox and say goodbye to ALL Facebook Ads even the embedded Sponsored ones.

Tracking & Ad Removal for Facebook

And if you want to block certain PITA google search results then install this plugin aswell.

Google Search Filter

Old 15 July 2021, 03:29 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I've got an add blocker on my laptops, and have apple devices and don't use social media companies, as there all after your data.
Old 16 July 2021, 09:29 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusti
Whatsapp is owned by Facebook now so I am not surprised.

This is why you should not install these apps on your smart device. They all data mine as you automatically consent to hand over pretty much everything you do on them. GPS, Picture metadata (that also includes GPS), contact uploading/sharing, IP details, your WiFi (not passcode, but other bits and bobs that can link you to other people that use the same wifi network).

My issue with these is not the adverts but more so if personally identifying credentials are either sold or handed over to unscrupulous organisations (such as lawyers ) that will abuse it or if that data is leaked in a security breach (google 'ACS law' and see how they and Sky f**ked up big time by leaking customer's online activity).

As such, avoid "security verifications" that requires your phone number. Only do this with really important stuff like banking and transactions. As using this for verifying social media or junk apps (tiktok, snap, tinder etc.) poses a security risk if you use also that same number to verify your banking. Same with emails; Separate email addresses for the important stuff to segregate your main ID from your social one. Same goes for some online shopping websites, which have suffered security breaches of customer data; As such these sites should not be use the same personal credentials as of that you use for your bank and credit card (I know it's an **** if you are a regular customer).

If you have to use facebook, do it via a internet browser with the cookies locked down. If you upload pics, scrub the exif data. And don't use whatsapp. People look at me like I'm mad when I say I don't have whatsapp.

It is handy though....Thanks to google/tineye/fb/insta I've avoided a few catfishes on tinder in my time thanks to their online footprint and the sheer ease it is to find someone's social media from just their first name and general location in a 20mile radius! Once full name is found one could dig a bit deeper; 192 address search, electoral role etc. provides their address. Great if you post pictures of yourself whilst away on holiday so Mr Thieving ****** can happily burgle your house

Right, excuse me whilst I go and line my hat with another layer of Bacofoil