Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

talk to me about BMX (20" wheel)

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2020, 05:56 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default talk to me about BMX (20" wheel)

My kids are wanting BMX's now they go to the park and their mountain bikes aren't suitable for the humps, bumps and track bends.

I picked up a 2nd hand BMX off FB selling pages.... £40.... quite happy to pay about that for kids who may not want to be doing it this time next year.
This bike was all black.. didn't look anything but has a KINK sticker on the folk.. and a small on on teh handle bars.. and a few parts say MISSION on it.... it looks quite tasty lol googled it and I think it could have been a £300+ bike when new!

Now my other kids wants one!

does the small gear/cog at the front mean its better than a BMX than one that looks bigger... like the tradition Rayleigh Burner I used to have in the early 80s?

Is there brands not to get.. heavy weight etc...to carry.

should I be looking at VooDoo, WeThePeople, etc sort of bikes as they will be better all round?

Obviously my kids wants one brake and a seat that you don't sit on as its so low!!!

Help lol

TIA
Old 03 September 2020, 08:03 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

im no bike person but from what I gather the crank being small and the seat position sound like a jump bike ,, just a different size to get them going quicker I think , easy enough to swap sizes depending on what your doing

iv got my red and yellow Rayleigh Burner on my bedroom wall lol ,, if I stare hard enough at it I can still smell the hospital lol
Old 03 September 2020, 08:09 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by domino46
im no bike person but from what I gather the crank being small and the seat position sound like a jump bike ,, just a different size to get them going quicker I think , easy enough to swap sizes depending on what your doing

iv got my red and yellow Rayleigh Burner on my bedroom wall lol ,, if I stare hard enough at it I can still smell the hospital lol

2nd hand originals are £500+ now.. mine was blue/yellow with spokes. PVC press stud protectors... not the nylon velco they changed to a few years later.
Old 03 September 2020, 08:35 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Rally burner was amazing.
get a light one as its easier for stunts. Get one with a giro - i belive its called something different now but it allows the handle bars to turn around 360+ while still having cables for breaking.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04 September 2020, 07:20 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
2nd hand originals are £500+ now.. mine was blue/yellow with spokes. PVC press stud protectors... not the nylon velco they changed to a few years later.
yeah mine is one of the originals with the pvc press stud protectors ,, been considering getting it made to look like brand new again as got a chap local who restores them and he said for around £250 he could have it looking like it’s new again

Old 29 September 2020, 09:34 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

yeah mine is one of the originals with the pvc press stud protectors ,, been considering getting it made to look like brand new again as got a chap local who restores them and he said for around £250 he could have it looking like it’s new again
had the blue and yellow version when I was a kid, then got the Andy Ruffle team burner later on. Last time I found one on eBay it was around £800 I believe (the Andy Ruffle) but that was a few years ago.
*sold mine to a *mate at college for £20!

* the c*nt didn't even pay me the £20

Small cog on front is so the sprocket/chain doesn't grind out when doing stunts on half pipes etc

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 29 September 2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 29 September 2020, 05:00 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
had the blue and yellow version when I was a kid, then got the Andy Ruffle team burner later on. Last time I found one on eBay it was around £800 I believe (the Andy Ruffle) but that was a few years ago.
*sold mine to a *mate at college for £20!

* the c*nt didn't even pay me the £20

Small cog on front is so the sprocket/chain doesn't grind out when doing stunts on half pipes etc

currently on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174449838264
Old 29 September 2020, 05:39 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by salsa-king
My kids are wanting BMX's now they go to the park and their mountain bikes aren't suitable for the humps, bumps and track bends.

I picked up a 2nd hand BMX off FB selling pages.... £40.... quite happy to pay about that for kids who may not want to be doing it this time next year.
This bike was all black.. didn't look anything but has a KINK sticker on the folk.. and a small on on teh handle bars.. and a few parts say MISSION on it.... it looks quite tasty lol googled it and I think it could have been a £300+ bike when new!

Now my other kids wants one!

does the small gear/cog at the front mean its better than a BMX than one that looks bigger... like the tradition Rayleigh Burner I used to have in the early 80s?

Is there brands not to get.. heavy weight etc...to carry.

should I be looking at VooDoo, WeThePeople, etc sort of bikes as they will be better all round?

Obviously my kids wants one brake and a seat that you don't sit on as its so low!!!

Help lol

TIA
the smaller gear at the front allows a skid free ride off a quarter pipe/ half pipe the gearing is made up with a bigger rear sprocket, any bike with a 4130 cro-mo frame is strong and light .
I was dropping in at Romford skate park at 14 yrs old with the likes of Bob Haroa most excellent free styler .

Would you believe it Raleigh Burners were considered rubbish at the time , the better bikes were Redline , Mongoose, Skyway , V.D.C .
My Hi-brid Redline had a coaster rear brake which allowed you to go backwards with out the peddles turning fitted on skyway TUFF11s

Last edited by lockheed; 29 September 2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 30 September 2020, 01:16 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
the smaller gear at the front allows a skid free ride off a quarter pipe/ half pipe the gearing is made up with a bigger rear sprocket, any bike with a 4130 cro-mo frame is strong and light .
I was dropping in at Romford skate park at 14 yrs old with the likes of Bob Haroa most excellent free styler .

Would you believe it Raleigh Burners were considered rubbish at the time , the better bikes were Redline , Mongoose, Skyway , V.D.C .
My Hi-brid Redline had a coaster rear brake which allowed you to go backwards with out the peddles turning fitted on skyway TUFF11s

I also have a mongoose and a skyway lol ,, grew up watching bmx bandits over and over lol
Old 30 September 2020, 09:48 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I also have a mongoose and a skyway lol ,, grew up watching bmx bandits over and over lol
Domino says he's not an expert, but it turns out his bmx collection is larger than his Subaru one! 3 Burners and the above at the last count. Good job he wasn't old enough for a Chopper!
Old 30 September 2020, 10:43 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Domino says he's not an expert, but it turns out his bmx collection is larger than his Subaru one! 3 Burners and the above at the last count. Good job he wasn't old enough for a Chopper!

you might be surprised on how big my subaru collection really is lol ,, im lucky enough to have a very understanding wife and a man cave (bedroom) she lets me do what I want in so iv got bikes and skateboards all over the walls ,, but im currently having a bit of a clear out due to my WRC build starting up again and that needs some big funding lol
Old 30 September 2020, 12:15 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Goes to show, skate parks are a slippery slope!
Old 30 September 2020, 04:49 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I meant the team burner, there is actually one of those on as well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-B...0AAOSwVDdfcJCQ