Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

2020 car insurance rip off

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2020, 12:13 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 2020 car insurance rip off

What is going on? Paid £350 last year. Current insurer wanted nearly £900 this year. Got it elsewhere for about £350 again.Its a 5 year old skoda vrs not a Ferrari

Friend has a Discovery. Normally pays £1000, they wanted £3000 Friend with S class . Again last year £1k, this year wanted £2k. Step father, normally about £300 for his pensioner Honda. Again his insurer wanted double.

Bloody ridiculous rip off year for some reason on the insurance front. Anyone else had crazy quotes?
Old 28 July 2020, 12:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

£40 rise for me. Problem is I need to increase the agreed value as I’ve just spent lockdown restoring it!

Still one has to remember insurers are often owned by bigger groups (helpful info here: https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/20...r-insurer.html ) and are also tied into underwriters that are part of the financial industry, you know those old institutions found in the small print that can trace their meddling back to the days of potato famines and slavery. They invest into insurers on the risk you pay more than they do, and it’s tied with loans, investments, stocks shares etc. Either way when the figures are out of alignment and competition is in cahoots they can and will try to demand more.

Bottom line is the investor wants more money out than what they paid in and the sector tries to accommodate that to the highest possible level.

I’ve probably got half of that not entirely right as the connections to the banks and investment sectors is rather opaque, but be sure they operate with their own interests more so than yours.

Therefore haggle, haggle and...haggle.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 July 2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 28 July 2020, 01:20 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

bout the same rise 40 quid ( 210 )

Nobody gets rewarded for loyalty in this country

iv been tempted to put windscreen in cos its a bit tatty

prtected no claims - and havnt claimed for 20 years

Last edited by IdonthaveaScooby; 28 July 2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 28 July 2020, 01:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I might have to do the windscreen.... I just replaced it out my own pocket (wiper scratches causing glare from oncoming lights).

What happens? After just 50miles drive on newly surfaced road and some **** in scruffy VW Touran in the opposite direction was rubbing along the curb and kicking up chippings.... yep chipped my new screen.

Would rather he pay for it rather than my insurance....got reg and dash cam of me swearing at him. Possibly youtube worthy just for the swearing.
The following users liked this post:
Old 28 July 2020, 02:26 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I might have to do the windscreen.... I just replaced it out my own pocket (wiper scratches causing glare from oncoming lights).

What happens? After just 50miles drive on newly surfaced road and some **** in scruffy VW Touran in the opposite direction was rubbing along the curb and kicking up chippings.... yep chipped my new screen.

Would rather he pay for it rather than my insurance....got reg and dash cam of me swearing at him. Possibly youtube worthy just for the swearing.
You cant claim for glass repair from another vehicle. That's why its zero affect on NCD
Old 28 July 2020, 05:11 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Have to say gary moulson @ Keith Michaels has never put the premiums up on the golf or the scooby been with him for many years

never needed to look for quotes or search or haggle haggle since been with Keith Michaels
just a simple 5min call to Gary make payment and all sorted
Old 28 July 2020, 05:58 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Random spikes in insurance premiums is just a tactic to extract maximum from payee. Shop around till price is acceptable
Old 28 July 2020, 08:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by andy97
You cant claim for glass repair from another vehicle. That's why its zero affect on NCD
I know, just wish I could. And of course this happens after having a new screen whilst the car managed almost 15years on the original.

To be honest I’d rather him be slapped for driving without due care....old MPV too which are almost always ran until they stop, so I bet it’s unroadworthy.

Old 28 July 2020, 10:01 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

I was the same in over 30 years driving, a few tiny chips then several screens replaced due to cracks from stone chips
Old 29 July 2020, 07:07 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Our Skoda superb insurance had crept from £260 to £450 over 3 years with oldies favourite Rias, hunted around, got it for £160 from AA, proper job.
Old 01 August 2020, 09:09 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 15 August 2020, 12:11 PM
danielpaul
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked our car with My Travel as part of our holiday deal. I upgraded the car and paid for the full platinum insurance package as I know from previous experience how pushy the Dollar staff are at Sanford Airport. This package is supposed to cover everything, full tank of petrol, extra drivers etc. When I went to get the car the lady at the desk asked me for more money as breakdown and tyre cover is no longer included in the insurance package. I told her that the travel company hadn't informed me of that and she said it had only change a couple of weeks ago (this was 30th June). I refused to pay.

I will be taking this up with My Travel, but I am posting this now as I know a lot of you will have booked the full insurance package thinking that there will be nothing to pay when you collect your car. Perhaps everyone else won't mind paying, but I hate to feel misled like this. I believe in the know before you go!

Deaconblue
Old 16 August 2020, 08:43 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi.
Regards,
Dan.
have you or anyone here seen the adrian fluc review page on Facebook.
Truly shocking...
Old 20 August 2020, 10:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You only know that you've bought cheap insurance when you try and make a claim

Good luck everyone

Old 21 August 2020, 03:51 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I remember getting a ridiculous quote from AF a few years ago and specifically telling them not to call me back when asked. Still got call backs from them asking if I was going to insure my car with them and that I would be stupid to go elsewhere. Yeah, I was very stupid to go for a reasonable cost insurance policy than paying well over what the car was even worth. I've never even bothered contacting them for a quote again and don't think I ever will, especially after reading some of the Facebook comments. If they hadn't been so rude and kept contacting me when told to stop I might have even become a customer of theirs at some point but there's so many other options I don't see the need to give them my money.
Old 24 August 2020, 11:08 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
I remember getting a ridiculous quote from AF a few years ago and specifically telling them not to call me back when asked. Still got call backs from them asking if I was going to insure my car with them and that I would be stupid to go elsewhere. Yeah, I was very stupid to go for a reasonable cost insurance policy than paying well over what the car was even worth. I've never even bothered contacting them for a quote again and don't think I ever will, especially after reading some of the Facebook comments. If they hadn't been so rude and kept contacting me when told to stop I might have even become a customer of theirs at some point but there's so many other options I don't see the need to give them my money.
I had this just the other week, I raised a complaint and was told they werent ringing me . . weird the person who left the voicemail message said they were from AF, and the phone number is AF . . .lol
Old 28 August 2020, 08:35 AM
davoid
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi.
Regards,
Dan.
My Adrian Flux increased >10% this year despite obviously fewer claims in 19-20 due to covid, inflation near zero, totally clean driving record, no claims for just about ever. No explanation. Quote is approaching 10% of the value of the car.

Pity, thought I'd finally found a good one.
Old 28 August 2020, 09:06 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Percentage of the value the car is just about irrelevant isn’t it ?