Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bolts and nuts

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2018, 08:25 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolts and nuts

This is work related but I know most m10 threads have 17mm nuts, but where can I source 16mm or even 15mm nuts to fit the m10 thread?

Thanks W
Old 08 March 2018, 08:47 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

More than likely from the US

https://www.fairburyfastener.com/xdims_metric_nuts.htm

http://www.manufacturinget.org/wp-co...lange-nuts.png
Old 08 March 2018, 08:49 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

We use this place which is local,they have a large stock of all types,might be worth a call?

http://boltandnutsupplies.co.uk
Old 08 March 2018, 09:08 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Wull
This is work related but I know most m10 threads have 17mm nuts, but where can I source 16mm or even 15mm nuts to fit the m10 thread?

Thanks W

Came across these, in s/s 16mm width,

bit more digging on site come with more choice..........sorry dos,nt want to download............ACCUGROUP is company name.

Ray

Last edited by ray54; 08 March 2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08 March 2018, 09:10 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

That makes sense as it’s for a john Deere greens mower.

Would you believe it went away for its winter service (service contract) and it came back with this 1 lock nut and bolt replaced. The nut was chewed up, I couldn’t fathom why, I’m looking at it thinking “they’ve replaced the bold bolt and nut obviously because it broke when removing it but why is the replacement chewed”......

Then after I tried to slacken it off I realised, the nut is too big and the clearance is non existent so you can’t get a socket onto it, you can’t even get to it with a spanner.

So I now can’t adjust the height on one of my greens units because of them numpties.
Old 08 March 2018, 09:19 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

That’s what the original lock nut looks like, notice the adequate gap between the nut and the housing for the rear roller brush.

And this is what I was faced with the very first time I went to adjust the heights after the machine came back. The mind boggles, to remove the nut I had to remove the mount for the rear roller brush, that to me is not on. I kicked up **** as you do and they’re sourcing one for me but what I can’t understand is, they’re John Deere agents so surely they can get this part easily without having to bodge it. I’m thinking this was put together by an apprentice who didn’t realise that that nut would need to be touched regularly.

Old 08 March 2018, 09:54 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Looks like the large washer is missing as well.

It appears to be holding 2 moving/sliding parts together.Can't you just put a smaller bolt & nut with a large washer on to give you more clearance on the nut as it is just putting pressure on the junction & clamping it together until the part arrives.
Old 08 March 2018, 09:59 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We got very good Nut and bolt store down the road

https://www.namrick.co.uk

No bolt and nut though
Old 08 March 2018, 11:43 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Use a smaller bolt and nut, get a higher quality for tensile strength, use bigger washers to spread load
Old 08 March 2018, 12:14 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Looks like the large washer is missing as well.

It appears to be holding 2 moving/sliding parts together.Can't you just put a smaller bolt & nut with a large washer on to give you more clearance on the nut as it is just putting pressure on the junction & clamping it together until the part arrives.

Won't work as the bolt On the other side has a bit that fits in the frame so it has to be that bolt.

I can adjust it by removing the roller brush mount just now until the correct part comes.
Old 08 March 2018, 12:16 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Use a smaller bolt and nut, get a higher quality for tensile strength, use bigger washers to spread load
As above it has to be that bolt as there's a bit that fits in the frame, it's a locknut. There's no access to the other side which means if I put something like you suggest in place it'll just turn and not loosen off. To remove that bolt I have to strip the unit down further, that's how much of a pain in the farter this is.
Old 08 March 2018, 12:56 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Wull
As above it has to be that bolt as there's a bit that fits in the frame, it's a locknut. There's no access to the other side which means if I put something like you suggest in place it'll just turn and not loosen off. To remove that bolt I have to strip the unit down further, that's how much of a pain in the farter this is.

Do you mean it has a square section on the bolt that slides in the slot to stop it spinning when you tighten/loosen the nut?

like a carriage bolt:

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/prod...carriage-bolts

Last edited by legb4rsk; 08 March 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08 March 2018, 02:53 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

They’ve found and posted out the correct 16mm nut.

Should be working as normal soon enough.
Old 08 March 2018, 02:55 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Do you mean it has a square section on the bolt that slides in the slot to stop it spinning when you tighten/loosen the nut?

like a carriage bolt:

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/prod...carriage-bolts
Yep same idea as that. When building up the units that goes in place before other components as the back end of that has no room whatsoever.

Problem solved now.
Old 08 March 2018, 03:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My pet hate with automotive components: Factory original on European stuff is often 18mm, 16mm etc. Aftermarket replacements 17mm and 15mm, even alleged OE. Even caliper bolts supplied with pads: Original 12mm , aftermarket 13mm, but the lines of Delphi and Pagid/TMD only supply two bolts as you usually don't need to remove all the bolts to change pads, so they only supply what's needed...with a different size bolt head.

So often I end up finding a car with a 12mm upper caliper bolt and a 13mm and lower And finding ball joints being 17mm one one side and the other side 18mm depending on if the suspension parts are replaced as pairs or replaced as and when.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 March 2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08 March 2018, 09:12 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

As a replacement for a 10mm flanged nut like that, a Subaru (or Toyota) exhaust manifold nut would have fitted perfectly. Socket size 14mm.