Notices

Quality Dials - & nuts and bolts

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2002, 12:07 AM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of things - don't kill me for posting on the wrong forum tho - There seems to be some debate on if replacement dials (like indiglo etc) are worth the effort (with the potential of wrecking the instruments in the process of removing the needles!). Just been through the dial kits thread in interiors forum. Nomad seems to be doing (or about to do) some very good quality dials that do look real sweet. How difficult is it to successfully replace dials?

Secondly, I'm sure everyone has lost the occassional nut or bolt or worse - a special Subaru fixing! Do you guys make do with whatever is available and fits reasonably well or replace with the genuine item from a dealer. The last time I bought some plastic screws from Subaru they were like one pound something EACH! I reckon over the years I've spent shed loads after losing or breaking little plastic srews or fixings. It's also a pain in the butt to have to go get them. Is there a supplier of these nuts n bolts which can't normally be found in your regular DIY or autoparts store?
Old 19 April 2002, 07:34 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

http://www.sastech.co.uk/howto/whitedials_to96.htm it is relatively easy 2 do the main proceedure of getting the unit out the dash & yes i did loose a spring clip & a screw of which halford & usual car places had bugger all but im only down the road from midland impreza http://www.midland-impreza.com/index.html & while (after inquiring on here) they may not be best place for services etc they are good 4 parts & when i went there they just gave me da bits i needed So any scooby place shud b able 2 replace any casualties of war
4 those of u whop aint kept up with my numerous *** ups wont know that i actually went thru 2 rev dials b4 installing 1 successfully so as a result my advice is dont do the 2 spoon technique however much u heat it. If possible, from a scooby palce or wotever to get sum spare needles i recommend removing the hole dial etc & melting it off with a soldering iron. Exerts no pressure on the spindle workings etc & as such yer not guna stuff it & as my subaru dealer told me they aint designed 2 be replaced ie designed 2 break if u try prising the needle off dont let that put u off thou my view is now much improved & while my interior kud still use a bit of tarting up it certainly has brightened up my otherwise dullest aspect of the car
So basically if u can get yer hands on sum spare needles then u shud have an easy time chap & i recommend it holeheartedly (although best if u dont have 2 pay best part of £150 4 the pleasure £50 4 da dials & 2 x £40 4 replacement rev dialy bits oh & £16 4 a boss soldering iron) Any1 wana buy a 2nd hand soldering tool?
Seriously DO IT u no u wana just be sure u have the correct tools & spares
Good luck chap.
Ask away if i can help further?
Si
Old 19 April 2002, 07:46 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8
I'll put it on my list of wants and things to do!
Old 19 April 2002, 09:06 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Also got a list of scooby breakers if u do need any bits
Si
Old 19 April 2002, 10:05 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Yur sun visors old enough to keep drooping down? That's something I need replacing (amongst shed loads of other bits - rather old car!)
Old 19 April 2002, 10:08 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've sent u the list then anyway shud u fancy using it at sum point
Si
Old 19 April 2002, 11:37 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You could try my Blue LED's for your dash to make it look a bit better, all you have to do is change the lamps no chance of breaking any dials needles etc like when fitting white dials or indiglo etc.

Have a look here. http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...D=66227&Page=1

Or here
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...umName=General

Regards Huxley
Old 21 April 2002, 10:00 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

fitted white dials last week, rev & speed needles came off dead easy with the spoons, b4stard of a job cutting the temp & fuel ones off tho, broke the fuel gauge in the process & had to buy another (thanks midland impreza)

easy process though, just take your time & its well worth it.

oh, i found it easier to take the top half of the steering column cover off, just beware the sharp metal bits which are just waiting to scratch the dials cover!!!!
Old 21 April 2002, 10:11 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

as far as the cutting goes, 4got 2 mention it soz I found using nail clippers & small scissors the best easiest & safest way 2 hack em off
Glad u didn't have trubble with the other dials though, guess it is a bit down 2 luck i no i gave my speedo a proper hammering & it survived but my rev dial times 2 bust oh 2 easily so still beware u others
Si