Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car insurance and no MOT

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2017, 05:57 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car insurance and no MOT

I know there are a few insurance guys on here.

Just wondering, someone I know has had a bit of a bump a day or so and, and has just realised that her MOT expired at the end of January.

What's the deal with her insurance, I'm reading conflicting stuff online, some sites suggesting its a big problem, others suggesting the opposite.

The other person (another girl) initially admitted fault at the scene, but has since changed her mind I believe.
Cops couldn't be bothered getting off their holes and attending as no one was hurt, just told her to get the cars off the road on the phone call.
Old 04 February 2017, 07:32 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on the insurer unfortunately
Old 04 February 2017, 07:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you not have a period grace anyway ?
Old 04 February 2017, 07:49 PM
DTB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there's a grace period for MOT's. Depending on the extent of the bump it might be best if she just gets it mended privately - but that will depend on persuading the other person that it's the best idea too...
Old 04 February 2017, 08:48 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Only way to be sure is to check the policy wording, some insurers will use any angle to wriggle out of paying out. But to look at it from another angle;

If you have a valid MOT certificate, and you MOT the car before the date the current cert expires and the car fails its MOT, the current certificate does not get revoked, and the car still can be used on the road (as long as taxed and insured) - kinda makes the MOT process seem a bit pointless.

Because of this scenario, I think no MOT is only used as an angle of convenience for insurers to back out of paying a claim. In my non-expert opinion the decision on whether a vehicle is roadworthy, is a decision taken by the driver each time (s)he gets behind the wheel - driving about on 4 punctured run-flat tyres is legal, and you will be insured, but I would wager that your car will not pass an MOT in that state.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 04 February 2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04 February 2017, 09:20 PM
Kaeo
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised anyone thinks this is complicated. If push comes to shove and the vehicle is inspected because of this, if it is found to be unroadworthy then there's a world of hurt coming. Especially if it can be attributed to being partly to cause for the incident. If not, actually having no MOT is irrelevant.

The insurer can refuse to payout to fix her car either way, if it is a fault claim then the insurer will have to pay out to the third party and, depending on the wording of her contract, may be entitled to claim the costs back from her for breach of contract.
Old 04 February 2017, 11:35 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

I think the other party was at fault, but time will tell.
The girl I talk about - I'm pretty sure her car would pass MOT just fine. She didn't get a reminder letter for some reason.
Old 05 February 2017, 06:52 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

just tell her to inform her insurance that her car was booked in for an mot and that's where she was on her way to, you need to speak to a garage owner first and get them to book her in for that day and time.
Old 05 February 2017, 09:19 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Thanks for the replies.

I think the other party was at fault, but time will tell.
The girl I talk about - I'm pretty sure her car would pass MOT just fine. She didn't get a reminder letter for some reason.

There is no reminder letter for MoT, only road tax.
Old 05 February 2017, 09:39 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
just tell her to inform her insurance that her car was booked in for an mot and that's where she was on her way to, you need to speak to a garage owner first and get them to book her in for that day and time.
And slip him some readies
Old 05 February 2017, 11:52 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

In N.Ireland we get MOT reminders, and all tests are carried out in dedicated test centres, not Jimmy's garage like you boys across the water
Old 05 February 2017, 01:14 PM
Kaeo
Scooby Regular

Not sure how that's relevant in any way? Also jimmys garage? The mot testing exams are pretty robust here including requiring mot testers to have worked on said vehicle type as a mechanic for 4 years full time and have the licence to operate them also. Such a petty thing to come out with.
Old 05 February 2017, 01:49 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Someone said there are no MOT reminder letters, I was simply stating that its different here.
I'm not saying that your tests are not robust, I would imagine that the government run centres and your MOT garages test the same things, however there would be zero chance of favours in the government testing centres.
I know that there are decat friendly MOT garages on the mainland for example, You'd not get that here.

So my dear friend - unwind your pretty little self
Old 08 February 2017, 01:07 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Update: Insurance didn't seem bothered that MOT had lapsed, they're paying out.
Old 14 February 2017, 05:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a car wrote off and my mot was a week overdue, the settlement was a lot lower due to the car not having a valid mot at the time.