Old 16 October 2016, 07:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Without clicking on the link I know it is the new Adam Curtis film

I was going to post it actually

I find his work brilliant tbh

I am somewhat both surprised and interested you obviously have a interest in his work too

Have you seen his early stuff?

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 16 October 2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 16 October 2016, 07:33 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

No
Old 16 October 2016, 07:33 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I adore Adam Curtis's work! I've watched virtually all of it, but was turned on to him whilst I studied politics with sociology in my mid-twenties which was about the same time that The Century of the Self was aired. Curtis and I share an admiration of Max Weber and we're also both of a libertarian persuasion with some sympathies with the left and conversely with elements of neoconservativism.
Old 16 October 2016, 07:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

I adore Adam Curtis's work! I've watched virtually all of it, but was turned on to him whilst I studied politics with sociology in my mid-twenties which was about the same time that The Century of the Self was aired. Curtis and I share an admiration of Max Weber and we're also both of a libertarian persuasion with some sympathies with the left and conversely with elements of neoconservativism.
It is a pet peeve of mine that that the term "libertarian" has been appropriated by the right wing bat **** loony brigade

The obvious inference is that if you are not part of the right wing neoconspiritard - then you are anti libertarian and pro "control"

When in fact theses loons have serious authoritarian undertones

I consider myself a libertarian - but my political philosophy is 180 degrees different

I also don't see much neoconservatism in his work I have to say
Old 16 October 2016, 08:16 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
It is a pet peeve of mine that that the term "libertarian" has been appropriated by the right wing bat **** loony brigade

The obvious inference is that if you are not part of the right wing neoconspiritard - then you are anti libertarian and pro "control"

When in fact theses loons have serious authoritarian undertones

I consider myself a libertarian - but my political philosophy is 180 degrees different

I also don't see much neoconservatism in his work I have to say
http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/interview-adam-curtis/

People often accuse me of being a lefty. That’s complete rubbish. If you look at The Century of the Self, what I’m arguing is something very close to a neo-conservative position because I’m saying that, with the rise of individualism, you tend to get the corrosion of the other idea of social bonds and communal networks, because everyone is on their own. Well, that’s what the neo-conservatives argue, domestically. So, there is this continual battle within the Right between those who just think you let people be free individuals and you do the least you need to, managerially—there’s another debate about how much managerialism you need—but you just manage that system and you let those individuals do whatever they want and that’s true freedom. And the other part of the Right that thinks, no, human beings left to themselves are, not necessarily dangerous, they just corrode society and leave it as an atomized set of individuals.
Old 17 October 2016, 08:15 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

well yes, but that sort of goes back to my point in the post above

I see myself as a libertarian - and as I say this knowing its association with the "Austrian School" of economics - with which I profoundly disagree, as I think does Curtis

far from empowering the individual it has been a disaster for so many, since it took hold as THE dominant economic/social system of the last 40 years, but it is VERY successful at owning the narrative

It is pretty obvious - not least from the title of the series, "the Century of the Self"

that Curtis puts quite a lot of store in individualism - and sees it as a big driver of change in the last 150 years

However, I think one of the problems / weaknesses of "individualism" goes back to something I mentioned in the EU thread

It creates a fertile ground for less scrupulous theories/organisations to pursue the "Serengeti Strategy"

I am very careful - and I think I caught a sense of that from your link (thanks) that Curtis feels the same, is not to get to wedded to ideas & philosophies - sometime you simply have to let them go

otherwise you get these inner contradictions that become increasingly hard to internally reconcile with yourself - I suspect it can turn into a psychosis

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 17 October 2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 17 October 2016, 12:09 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I've written three responses to your post, but keep deleting them because they simply don't capture my thoughts and feelings on such a massive subject. In short I'm a Christian Libertarian with sympathies toward Christian Anarchism (à la Tolstoy), but to all intents and purposes have given up on politics and ideological causes owing to the utter futility of going up against 'the system'. Said system is absurd and for me reinforces my subscription to the concept of the fall of man.

I found last night's programme to be brilliant and disturbing. Have you watched it?
Old 17 October 2016, 12:43 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

lol, me too JT

which is why I obviously saw your reply last night but wanted to respond after some thought this morning

It is difficult to do the subject justice on a Japanese sports car forum - even in the "non" section - :-)

Yes, but not all of it - I think about half, - it is over 3 hrs and deserves ones full attention

It seemed like a slight rehash / amalgam of his earlier work imv - but I will reserve full judgement until I have seen all of it

I think fundamentally I am more optimistic/hopeful about "man"
Old 17 October 2016, 12:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

as a (sarcastic) counter point

this is quite amusing

Old 17 October 2016, 12:55 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

lol, me too JT

which is why I obviously saw your reply last night but wanted to respond after some thought this morning

It is difficult to do the subject justice on a Japanese sports car forum - even in the "non" section - :-)

Yes, but not all of it - I think about half, - it is over 3 hrs and deserves ones full attention

It seemed like a slight rehash / amalgam of his earlier work imv - but I will reserve full judgement until I have seen all of it

I think fundamentally I am more optimistic/hopeful about "man"
On what grounds?
Old 17 October 2016, 12:56 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

as a (sarcastic) counter point

this is quite amusing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg
Old 19 October 2016, 08:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

On what grounds?
sorry been busy at work

well, and with the risk of sounding trite

optimism is better than pessimism

and ultimately I believe in humanity and humanities ability to move forward and address the challenges we face as a species

and generally - people a good

re the Adam Curtis, Hypernormalisation- yes worth watching, although I don't think it actually said more than this 2014 - 6 min video

what struck me was the section from 3.40, especially the comment about "wealth transfer"

as I had made the very same point back in 2010/11 on one of the house price / bankers threads
Old 20 October 2016, 08:13 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

sorry been busy at work

well, and with the risk of sounding trite

optimism is better than pessimism
This is a kind of humanist 'faith'; choosing a reality.

and ultimately I believe in humanity and humanities ability to move forward and address the challenges we face as a species
and generally - people a good
I don't believe we're inherently "good", I think and feel we're deeply and essentially selfish and qualified scientists agree with me.

re the Adam Curtis, Hypernormalisation- yes worth watching, although I don't think it actually said more than this 2014 - 6 min video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcy8uLjRHPM
Yes, that's the crux of the film.

what struck me was the section from 3.40, especially the comment about "wealth transfer"

as I had made the very same point back in 2010/11 on one of the house price / bankers threads
You made the point very early, to be fair. The thing is though, as per my 'everything's ok' thread, I'm happy and content with my lot. I'm concious that the world is fallen and that evil pervades amongst the controlling classes, but I have the blessed assurance that one day justice will be served and wrongs will be put right.

So, like you, I'm optimistic, but I place my faith in God - the Creator not the created.

Last edited by JTaylor; 20 October 2016 at 08:18 AM.