Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

9pm watershed fiasco...

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2003, 07:56 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My children aren't allowed to watch unsuitable material.
My wife and I are the watershed.
It just means having to stay up later and watch DVDs or videos when they are safely tucked away in bed.
Old 06 March 2003, 10:10 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I bet that there are loads of 10yr olds and the like watching 15 and even 18 cert. progs and films on tv in the mid-to-late evening and it is accepted as being normal and that the certificates given to these films are not to be bothered with and are only some rough guide to be adhered to only if your kid happens to be particularly sensitive ,and not a strict guide as to what is psycologically damaging and intellectually misleading to kids thought procceses(sp), locical reasoning,and emotional responses at such a critical and impressionable time in a their development when they are apt to copy and learn what they see and take this to be a representation of reality and not a work of fiction/humour etc
How long is that sentence Are you a laywer by any chance??

Anyway, I agree with Bajie, watershed or no watershed... my kid will watch what I decide is suitable.
Old 06 March 2003, 10:33 AM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

How long is that sentence Are you a laywer by any chance??
Mmmm...must have got a bit carried away on that one.
Anyway, I agree with Bajie, watershed or no watershed... my kid will watch what I decide is suitable.
If only all parents were that responsible ,good on you.
Old 03 May 2003, 11:56 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

...i bet that there's more young kids watching tv after the 9 pm watershed nowadays than ever before.Kids are 'en mass' being indoctrinated(though not maliciously(sp))by post 9 pm so called 'adult theme' programs that include far too much violence/sex/hatred/malice/innuendo/moral ineptitude/gutter humour/ for one so young,why the big concern about the 9 pm watershed then if most parents do not insist that no tv is watched after this time.I bet that there are loads of 10yr olds and the like watching 15 and even 18 cert. progs and films on tv in the mid-to-late evening and it is accepted as being normal and that the certificates given to these films are not to be bothered with and are only some rough guide to be adhered to only if your kid happens to be particularly sensitive ,and not a strict guide as to what is psycologically damaging and intellectually misleading to kids thought procceses(sp), locical reasoning,and emotional responses at such a critical and impressionable time in a their development when they are apt to copy and learn what they see and take this to be a representation of reality and not a work of fiction/humour etc ....what do you reckon?

[Edited by matty01 - 3/6/2003 12:02:49 AM]
Old 03 June 2003, 12:13 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I think it's like the speed limit on motorways. Officially the watershed is 9pm but everybody pretty much knows that not much really happens before 10/11 of 'that' nature anyway (e.g the speed limit on motorways is 70 but everybody pretty much accepts that 80/85 is the norm). Not so many kids stay up that late. At least this way it gives parents a good excuse to turn off the TV at 9pm ang try to settle the kids etc. which I guess will take an hour before they can then settle down and watch all the dirty stuff!

I agree that it's less relevant now (esp with cable/sat TV which doesn't have to adhere to these rules so much) but most people only have terrestial TV and without thinking you can manage the TV viewing for kids (just stop them at 9pm).

[Edited by Dracoro - 3/6/2003 12:14:48 AM]