Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can someone explain eBays decision?

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2016, 12:48 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain eBays decision?

For the second time in 12 years I had to leave negative feedback for an item that was below the standard expected and had a misleading description.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2522898728...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
When it arrived I discovered the item was not designed to fit the car and had a poor matt finish. The seller was very helpful throughout and allowed me to return it but the combined postage charges I would lose out on and my belief that I could make it better made me keep it. After 'doctoring' it, I was happy with the finish until 3 weeks later the black trim came away from the edges.

As I had altered it I wasn't able to send it back so decided just to leave feedback saying
"Excellent seller however sills are NOT tailored to the car and the finish is poor"
I noticed that this was deleted from the sellers feedback so wrote to ebay who told me that they could not give me the reason due to privacy rules.

As far as I was aware I complied with their feedback policy but as it appears that I have not can someone who has greater ebay experience than me help me understand what I did wrong? Thanks.
Old 04 October 2016, 01:29 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SRSport
For the second time in 12 years I had to leave negative feedback for an item that was below the standard expected and had a misleading description.
When it arrived I discovered the item was not designed to fit the car and had a poor matt finish. The seller was very helpful throughout and allowed me to return it but the combined postage charges I would lose out on and my belief that I could make it better made me keep it. After 'doctoring' it, I was happy with the finish until 3 weeks later the black trim came away from the edges.

As I had altered it I wasn't able to send it back so decided just to leave feedback saying
"Excellent seller however sills are NOT tailored to the car and the finish is poor"
I noticed that this was deleted from the sellers feedback so wrote to ebay who told me that they could not give me the reason due to privacy rules.

As far as I was aware I complied with their feedback policy but as it appears that I have not can someone who has greater ebay experience than me help me understand what I did wrong? Thanks.
Sorry I can't help here but I have also read on here that feedback is easy to create, how does that work? Hopefully an ebay guru will be along and able to answer both our questions.
Old 04 October 2016, 01:40 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

That's not exactly negative feedback mate your too nice you should have told him to pay for postage as item was not as described if he didn't agree then open a dispute in the resolution centre, eBay will send you recorded postage thingie to print off and send item back once this is done you will receive a full refund
unfortunately either you shut up and take the sh!te or deal with it ruthlessly there's no inbatween on eBay
On the other hand I've just purchased an airbag on eBay the guy sent it to me before I even paid!! And it wasn't signed for "bless him" I was buzzing that there's still such people around but it's these exact people that get there pants taken down by the scum that Lurks around...
Just my 20p's worth
Old 04 October 2016, 07:19 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I should have done that, you are right but I tend not to be an ****. If I can sort something out myself, I will, rather taking the easy route and just putting it back on the seller. As mentioned the seller was more than willing to take it back hence the feedback comments. I was criticising the product rather than the seller himself.

What I find odd is that the seller complained that the comments weren't negative enough and it now appears on those grounds has managed to persuade eBay to remove my comment. Why didn't eBay simply ask me to review my comments or change the neg to a neutral rating? Its far to heavily biased towards the seller but then my comment may hurt his sales, which in turn, will hurt eBay profits.

Last edited by SRSport; 04 October 2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05 October 2016, 01:13 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

My personal take on this, the logic behind any decision ever made by Ebay's customer care team will always run the risk of being positively baffling, for the simple reason that their people are based in offices in the Indian subcontinent. I say this based on years of experience dealing with Customer Service and IT departments in that region both as a customer and also working as a tech trying to assist them with installing or operating equipment they've bought from us. The core of the problem seems to be a combination of the massively risk-adverse culture that prevails there in larger corporate offices, which seems to badly stifle people's ability or inclination for independent critical thought (presumably through fear of being blamed for anything that goes wrong if they venture too far off script), and the failure to fully grasp some of the subtler nuances in language (either in what you communicate to them, or in the rules or procedures that they're trying to weigh up that communication against). The end result is often as comical as it can be frustrating
Old 05 October 2016, 02:37 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

I should have done that, you are right but I tend not to be an ****. If I can sort something out myself, I will, rather taking the easy route and just putting it back on the seller. As mentioned the seller was more than willing to take it back hence the feedback comments. I was criticising the product rather than the seller himself.

What I find odd is that the seller complained that the comments weren't negative enough and it now appears on those grounds has managed to persuade eBay to remove my comment. Why didn't eBay simply ask me to review my comments or change the neg to a neutral rating? Its far to heavily biased towards the seller but then my comment may hurt his sales, which in turn, will hurt eBay profits.
You're not an **** bro if items not as described you send it back and it's not an easy route but the correct procedure that has to be taken to get the message across that you won't accept ****
Old 05 October 2016, 10:41 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I should have sent it back, you're right. I'm assuming it's too late to send it back now I've massacred it though. Having my neg feedback deleted by eBay is a separate issue and one that is equally frustrating as I feel doubly cheated,
Old 05 October 2016, 10:49 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

I should have sent it back, you're right. I'm assuming it's too late to send it back now I've massacred it though. Having my neg feedback deleted by eBay is a separate issue and one that is equally frustrating as I feel doubly cheated,
It'll be right bro we all live and learn and move on take it as an experience could have been a much more costly hitter experience on a more expensive item
Old 06 October 2016, 09:18 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
My personal take on this, the logic behind any decision ever made by Ebay's customer care team will always run the risk of being positively baffling, for the simple reason that their people are based in offices in the Indian subcontinent. I say this based on years of experience dealing with Customer Service and IT departments in that region both as a customer and also working as a tech trying to assist them with installing or operating equipment they've bought from us. The core of the problem seems to be a combination of the massively risk-adverse culture that prevails there in larger corporate offices, which seems to badly stifle people's ability or inclination for independent critical thought (presumably through fear of being blamed for anything that goes wrong if they venture too far off script), and the failure to fully grasp some of the subtler nuances in language (either in what you communicate to them, or in the rules or procedures that they're trying to weigh up that communication against). The end result is often as comical as it can be frustrating
eBay's Customer Service team is based just outside of Dublin, which as far as I remember, is still part of Europe.

However, their Global Payments processing is done from India and that is indeed a nightmare
Old 06 October 2016, 10:36 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I think you acted kindly, as there are too many people on ebay who get overlay aggressive if theres a fault with anything.

Although if you opened a returns saying item was not as described, ebay should pay for the returns. As for the removal of feedback i thought ebay had stopped doing that will have to check up on there terms again.

Old 06 October 2016, 07:13 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
It'll be right bro we all live and learn and move on take it as an experience could have been a much more costly hitter experience on a more expensive item
I don't spend mor than £50 on sent items as it's too risky and eBay is far to unpredictable.
Old 06 October 2016, 07:16 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I think you acted kindly, as there are too many people on ebay who get overlay aggressive if theres a fault with anything.

Although if you opened a returns saying item was not as described, ebay swhould pay for the returns. As for the removal of feedback i thought ebay had stopped doing that will have to check up on there terms again.
They do have terms, unfortunately eBay refuse to point me to where my feedback contravenes any of them.
Old 06 October 2016, 08:06 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
eBay's Customer Service team is based just outside of Dublin, which as far as I remember, is still part of Europe.

However, their Global Payments processing is done from India and that is indeed a nightmare
I'm pretty sure it wasn't when I last had dealings with them.
Old 07 October 2016, 12:18 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

He must have known that they were a poor fit as you wouldn't have been the only person that has bought one from him and found it difficult trying to get it to fit along with the finish being poor, if that was me i would have done what someone else suggested. I would have contacted him saying that the part didn't fit correctly and the finish was poor and you'd to return it on the basis that it's not as described and you'd expect them to cover the return postage.

If they turn round and say they won't pay the return postage then you just open a dispute with ebay saying that the item is not as described and it doesn't fit the car that they advertised it would along with the finish being poor. Also it would leave you out of pocket to return it at your own cost and you expect the seller to cover the cost to return a defective part non fitting part.
Old 08 October 2016, 10:23 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt know how many people have left neg feedback if eBay make the habit of deleting without reason. I have found them for sale for £10 directly from China. He has simply bought a shed load and been making a mint. I feel cross with myself but as others have said it's a learning experience.