Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Modern xenons.... unnecessarily bright?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2016, 05:03 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modern xenons.... unnecessarily bright?

The other day I did a day trip to Cornwall with a 3 hour drive back from 9pm and got home at 12. I can't believe how bright some of these lights are when travelling along a quiet motorway. It's not the on-coming headlights that are the issue, it's the ones behind. The worse for me is just as a car is coming to over take and their lights reflect in your wing mirror. So stupidly bright, what's the point?? I noticed it on a Corsa, Jaguar and a Land Rover. IMO it's bordering on dangerous. its effectively almost as bright as a main beam when it reflects just at the right angle off your wing mirror as they come to pass.

Last edited by LSherratt; 17 August 2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 17 August 2016, 05:33 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have them in your own car, you won't be complaining lol.
They are very nice to have, visibility is great and they must meet a certain criteria so nothing wrong with them.
Old 17 August 2016, 05:35 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
If you have them in your own car, you won't be complaining lol.
They are very nice to have, visibility is great and they must meet a certain criteria so nothing wrong with them.
I have xenons in my current car and in my previous car. Yes they're nice but they've become too bright in more modern cars, in my opinion. Stupidly dazzlingly bright......
Old 17 August 2016, 05:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't your central overtaking mirror have a "dip" facility which solves this problem?

dl
Old 17 August 2016, 06:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i can hardly believe these things are for real and useful ( and totally annoying ) , as opposed to to impress the owner / buyer of the vehicle
Old 17 August 2016, 06:30 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have commented on this before

Some seem insanely bright

I have to admit as I get older my night vision gets worse

I used to be able to do night drives without an issue - now I find I tire much faster

And these really bright blueish lights are a nightmare

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 18 August 2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 17 August 2016, 06:34 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Auto dimming mirror FTW.
Old 17 August 2016, 08:35 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
The other day I did a day trip to Cornwall with a 3 hour drive back from 9pm and got home at 12. I can't believe how bright some of these lights are when travelling along a quiet motorway. It's not the on-coming headlights that are the issue, it's the ones behind. The worse for me is just as a car is coming to over take and their lights reflect in your wing mirror. So stupidly bright, what's the point?? I noticed it on a Corsa, Jaguar and a Land Rover. IMO it's bordering on dangerous. its effectively almost as bright as a main beam when it reflects just at the right angle off your wing mirror as they come to pass.
Or maybe the self levelling isn't working like my Saab aero estate....
Sorted now, but only after replacing the front sensor, front cable and rear sensor - and yes they were all duff.
While sorting it we had to take a 300 mile round trip in the dark - on the way back we seriously pi55ed off every lorry driver between Edinburgh and Aberdeen, and they didn't just flash us, their main beam was on full time till they passed - oops..
That forced me to order the rear sensor to sort it

For some reason even failing to the low position it was blinding lorry drivers but not cars - can only assume the light was reflecting from the bottom of the light unit?

My old legacy GTB had 400 w on main beam, rubbish reflectors but impressive on main beam
Old 17 August 2016, 09:14 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Yes and yes. They may be providing better visibility very nicely to the ones who have them on their cars, but they're blatantly blinding to other road users. They may meet the criteria but it should be reviewed imo. In addition, they hardly look great. Instead they look quite tacky for being so intimidating and attention seeking tbh.
Old 17 August 2016, 11:18 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Just as bad are those total **** who insist on having their rear fog lights on in the rain; dazzling, dangerous and should be an indictable offence.
Old 18 August 2016, 12:00 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You won't believe how many cars have incorrect beam aim. So many in fact I wonder if other MOT testers know how to use a beam aim tester. It's a 30second job on most cars (unless the adjuster is fecked or the bulb has been shoved in upside down by a gorilla-brain).

Ill ask tomorrow what our fail stats (it's all logged on line) are for headlamp aim. I think it's top of the list alongside blown bulbs.

I have +70% night breaker HIDs...brighter than standard OEM HIDs, Not been flashed by anyone.
Old 18 August 2016, 12:44 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

My rear-view mirror is an auto dimmer and that's fine, it's the wing mirrors which dazzle me when these bright xenon headlamps overtake me on the motorway. I suspect on more modern cars you can also get auto dimming wing mirrors now?
Old 18 August 2016, 07:33 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with the poor aim on new cars. I'm fortunate enough to get a new company car every 3/4 years and each time I find that the beam is far too high. The cut off point is crazy high! It can clearly be seen lighting up the entire back of any car I'm driving behind. Some oncoming traffic have flashed at me too. I adjusted them down myself, problem solved.
Old 18 August 2016, 09:35 AM
malevolent_sti
Scooby Regular

HID's are so 1998....

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/news-...logy/index.jsp
Old 18 August 2016, 10:02 AM
ccsimpreza
Scooby Regular

Great, now going to be dazzled by laser beams.
Old 18 August 2016, 11:54 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

If it's about the incorrect beam aim, then having so should be classed as illegal. No road user should be causing a visibility hazard to other road users with their incorrectly set beams. It's out of order. I see many of these on our North Wales twisties and I know how nonsense these stupid, chavvy lights are.
Old 18 August 2016, 12:19 PM
malevolent_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
If it's about the incorrect beam aim, then having so should be classed as illegal. No road user should be causing a visibility hazard to other road users with their incorrectly set beams. It's out of order. I see many of these on our North Wales twisties and I know how nonsense these stupid, chavvy lights are.

That's one reason that all aftermarket "HID" systems will make cars fail a straight MOT test. Doesn't matter how many watts, lumens, or even colour range (k) an HID headlight is making if it's pointing in the right direction than it won't blind other road users.
Old 18 August 2016, 02:01 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Not just HID's, I find the worst vehicle for dazzling headlights at the moment is the newest shape Transits (not the connect or custom), and I think they are normal halogen bulb headlamps. Every one of these ******* near blinds me, I think the headlights on these are just mounted too high in the first place, they certainly look higher up than previous generation transits.
Old 18 August 2016, 02:47 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Anyone had experience of LED headlights? My next car may have them.
Old 18 August 2016, 02:59 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Auto dimming mirror FTW.
sure, they are a great bit of kit (don't think my new car has it though)

but it is not just the lights when behind you - you can always manually flip the mirror

I have had to slam on the brakes - on tight single lane A roads, when I literally could not see a thing as a car came round the corner
Old 18 August 2016, 10:12 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Clarkson made me smile with his 'look like a council house light display at Christmas'lol.

Don't like the bluish ones...always looks like the police are behind you

I've got them...apologies to everyone I blind