Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Architect/Builder recommendations in East Northants please.

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2016, 08:44 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Architect/Builder recommendations in East Northants please.

We move on Monday to our bungalow near Oundle in Northants. We need the services of an architect/designer whatever to plan a garage extension on the gable end and a dining room/kitchen/bathroom extension at the rear and then a builder. It is not our local area so if anyone on the forum has any recommendations..or ones to avoid then it would be appreciated. You can pm me if needbe.
The estate agent for the sellers has given us a couple of names but more would be helpful.
Cheers
JBL.
Old 19 August 2016, 06:11 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't offer anyone near Oundle I'm afraid, but may I suggest this is a good way to get to know your new neighbours.

There's bound to be a few people nearby who have had some work done and they'll usually be more than happy to let you know what they thought of the builder. Chances are there will be one name that they all recommend and you'll be away.

Incidentally, if the any of the builders you try are available next week, be very wary. If they're not available until next year, you're probably onto a winner.

It's also worth having an informal chat (arrange to call in, don't just ask on the phone) with the local Council Planning Department as their Building Control Officer will have a very good idea of who's who (and who isn't!)

If you already know someone in Rutland, ask them too as they may know someone, or may even be prepared to travel.

Trust me, I'm a plumber!

I hope this helps.

PS - What a lovely place to move to. The Cotswolds, without the Cotswolds!

Last edited by Osimabu; 19 August 2016 at 06:14 AM.