Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Share values

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2016, 04:49 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Share values

I see a lot of the companies that lost money in the referendum have started to bounce back, is that down to no definite action on article 50 or are they just confident the worst is over?

Are we on the verge of another recession or is that the worst we have seen? I was hoping for a pay rise sometime soon as I have only had cuts since 2008 and since the vote the company I work for has lost £7 a share as of today so I have no chance of seeing my pay go up now.

So is this as bad as the out vote gets?
Old 01 July 2016, 05:41 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to go with the lack of action. You won't see the actual effects on share prices until we invoke article 50 and we start to get a proper feel for what the negotiations with Europe look like.
Old 01 July 2016, 05:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

isn't it the cash been pumped in by boe ?

wish id kept with gold shares I had - I thought things were going to level off , but no they keeping on rising

( not good news , for anything else )
Old 01 July 2016, 05:50 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

The stock market isn't really a good indicator of the effects. International companies (FTSE100) will be largely unaffected. UK companies (FTSE250) a little more so, but depends on their dependence on the EU market.

More significant is the loss of the AAA rating.
The amount the BoE has ploughed in to stabilise the currency and stock market.
The BoE negative forecasts from yesterday.
The Chancellor abandoning the 2020 budget surplus target.

The outlook is not good despite what the stock market is doing.
Old 01 July 2016, 06:31 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

So I stand no chance of a pay rise
Old 01 July 2016, 07:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Pay rise, not likely unless you're a banker, they and politicians will be the only people making money out of this ***** up.
Old 01 July 2016, 07:39 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevebt
So I stand no chance of a pay rise
Depends who you work for!? If you work for JCB or Dyson, you should be demanding you payrise first thing Monday
Old 01 July 2016, 08:39 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
isn't it the cash been pumped in by boe ?

wish id kept with gold shares I had - I thought things were going to level off , but no they keeping on rising
I had money in gold, Blackrock Gold and General, got in when it was at about 50% up YTD and set it to trade out on the 24th (day after the result) and into stocks as thought the in vote would see it drop and shares go up.

Was at about 68% up YTD when my money moved but earlier this week was over 100%, didn't move it all but enough that I lost a nice amount, but have equaled it out else where, all in all at the moment am just about even so will take that at the moment.

With interest rates looking like they will reduce may just start putting it under the mattress !
Old 01 July 2016, 08:47 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Depends who you work for!? If you work for JCB or Dyson, you should be demanding you payrise first thing Monday

Persimmon homes, but they are still in the ftse100
Old 01 July 2016, 09:02 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Ouch, Persimmon took a hammering along with other house builders and trade suppliers, but have recovered a bit. Am sure they will come back some more, but may take a while.

Saw that SSE are already back over where they were pre-result, as they do a lot of public sector work not sure why they are doing so well?
Old 01 July 2016, 09:07 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

The housing market has been in huge profit as in well over 2007 levels for years. I have been asking for a pay rise for three years then in the space of one week my firms shares dive and the chance of my rise happening dissapears just as quick.
Old 01 July 2016, 09:17 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

oops!

For those who are triumphantly boasting how the stock market has recovered, Persimmon are a great indicator (sorry stevebt!), of the negative outlook!

On 23rd, their share price was 2,098.00, today 1,540.00, that means they have lost 1/4 of their value! At their lowest they were 1,310.00 on Monday, that was nearly 40% down!

The construction sectoris a really good indicator about the future economy, or at least the markets expectations. When the economy is prosperous, then construction is one of the big benafactors and the shire price of construction companies skyrockets! When the economy is shrinking, construction are one of the biggest sufferers, so the share prices plummet. The fact that their stock price is still 1/4 down, with only minimal recovery from the initial shock, reflects the markets anticipation of recession!
Old 01 July 2016, 09:20 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

The housing market has been in huge profit as in well over 2007 levels for years. I have been asking for a pay rise for three years then in the space of one week my firms shares dive and the chance of my rise happening dissapears just as quick.
They have been doing pretty well over the last few years, whatever happens we need more houses and someone has to provide them. Hopefully it will all work out and they will give you your rewards.

Good luck fella
Old 01 July 2016, 09:28 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
oops!

For those who are triumphantly boasting how the stock market has recovered, Persimmon are a great indicator (sorry stevebt!), of the negative outlook!

On 23rd, their share price was 2,098.00, today 1,540.00, that means they have lost 1/4 of their value! At their lowest they were 1,310.00 on Monday, that was nearly 40% down!

The construction sectoris a really good indicator about the future economy, or at least the markets expectations. When the economy is prosperous, then construction is one of the big benafactors and the shire price of construction companies skyrockets! When the economy is shrinking, construction are one of the biggest sufferers, so the share prices plummet. The fact that their stock price is still 1/4 down, with only minimal recovery from the initial shock, reflects the markets anticipation of recession!
Totally agree with all that, the company that I run gets a large proportion of our business from industrial builders and developers, so people like Prologis and Segro, who has just started speculative building again after it was suspended in 2008.

We have had a flying start to the year with some big projects coming in, had orders to cover this years budget by mid June, think thing will be ok for the next couple of months as these are long term projects and some have to be completed now they have started, but am expecting it to go quiet towards the end of this year.
Old 02 July 2016, 02:20 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I see a lot of the companies that lost money in the referendum have started to bounce back, is that down to no definite action on article 50 or are they just confident the worst is over?

Are we on the verge of another recession or is that the worst we have seen? I was hoping for a pay rise sometime soon as I have only had cuts since 2008 and since the vote the company I work for has lost £7 a share as of today so I have no chance of seeing my pay go up now.

So is this as bad as the out vote gets?
Most of the huge losses in share value were down to several `Huge` investors who play and control the stock market as every opportunity.

There was no actual reason why share prices should fall after Brexit. However, if you are one of these huge Billionaire investors, you take these opportunities to make another few hundred Million.

Share prices were going up on the expectation of Britain remaining within the EU (for no actual reason). Once it was announce that the majority of the British public saw sense and wanted out, they decided to sell their shares. What happens when one of the big players sell several million shares? The share price falls, and others follow suit.

Same huge investors, would have probably waited till late Monday afternoon, or Tuesday morning, and re-bought some of those shares, at a now reduced price.
The effect on them is they make a killing.
The effect of the market is uncertainty.
The effect on the Media is hysteria.
The effect to you an me in the medium to long term, is nothing.

I was lucky to have bought my shares on Tuesday morning, just before the share prices started bouncing back. I won't make a killing, but I'll make a few hundred quid I didn't have before.

Wait till Wednesday, and the Chilcot enquiry comes out. That's probably be an other excuse for market volatility too.
Old 03 July 2016, 02:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

I was lucky to have bought my shares on Tuesday morning, just before the share prices started bouncing back. I won't make a killing, but I'll make a few hundred quid I didn't have before.

Wait till Wednesday, and the Chilcot enquiry comes out. That's probably be an other excuse for market volatility too.

I bought shares on Tuesday as I only managed to set a share dealing account up on Monday night so missed the real drop but I expect to make a few thousand from my stake as I ploughed it all into Persimmon homes at £13
Old 03 July 2016, 11:32 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Shell B shares flying.
Up 20% in the last 90 days.

I'm a bit biased though as get them tax free being an employee