Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Retirement glorification agony

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2016, 07:18 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retirement glorification agony

I've had two people that I know that have taken early retirement. Thing is that their wives (my friend and a relative) showed huge expectation on the day for the retirees to be acknowledged, by being showered with the 'congratulation' cards and gifts- from all n' effing sundry. Personally, even when I had known of their retirement month etc. since yunks, I didn't think much of it. Everyone retires one day, so frikking what. But the drama from their spouses was something beyond my belief! I found myself under so much pressure and reluctantly gave them a card each. I even wrote in those cards that there are jobs around my house that need doing. Mr. T. is taking ages to complete them due to his very demanding job, so these retirees can come along at get on with it, with so much time in their hands.

Thing what I'm putting forward for discussion is this's about this necessity for the drama about the retirement. I can understand if the people from your work make your fuss for leaving etc. but why should everyone else have to go - "Wow! How good is that that you've retired!" What's a big deal, like?? I'd understand if it's birthday or wedding anniversary etc. but retirement?? Whaaaaat?????

Do you think that it's your birthright to expect everyone to sing 'hip-hip-hurray' because you decide to, or even methodically retire?
Old 06 May 2016, 08:17 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I feel the same about birthdays and Christmas lol.
Old 06 May 2016, 08:30 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

It's a big event in someone's life so should be acknowledged in some way. I you care about the person, you should care about a big event in their life. If not to the first then don't worry about the second!
Old 06 May 2016, 08:33 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Wouldn't the fact that you no longer "have" to work, not be worth celebrating ?
Old 06 May 2016, 09:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I get this 'event' thing and stuff, but it's not as big to put everyone on a guilt trip for not buying them cards and gifts IMO. People can acknowledge by words when they see them. At the end of the day it's your choice to retire. It's simply one of the events; like many others. If bothered, one can celebrate with family and very close friends and call them for a mad dance party on own expense, but expecting anyone (including family and close friends) to make a fuss of it is like having a giraffe!

I won't expect anyone to go 'hey, congs on your retirement!'. I'd just quietly begger off to a very long holiday to Barbados and perhaps never come back.

P.S.: I'll still post on Scoobynet from there because they do have the internet over there.
Old 06 May 2016, 09:14 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
P.S.: I'll still post on Scoobynet from there because they do have the internet over there.
Thats a relief we wouldnt want to be losing you now would we
Old 06 May 2016, 10:36 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

If you ever get married or have reason to celebrate anything in life, please just shut the **** up because we really don't give a ****.
Old 06 May 2016, 11:03 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Thats a relief we wouldnt want to be losing you now would we
Exactly. Thank you.

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
If you ever get married or have reason to celebrate anything in life, please just shut the **** up because we really don't give a ****.
Didn't know that retirement was as big as marriage and birthday etc., in celebration terms. Moreover, this thread is actually about not the retiring people themselves but about their attention seeking partners who splatter all over the internet and in real life about their spouse's retirement and thus try making it obvious that just the verbal good wish isn't good enough and one needs to buy a card and a gift to prove that you're happy for them. Personally, I'm happy for every one and anyone for their positive achievements, but I just don't like to be moidered to buy cards and gifts under any pressure. I'd rather that be genuine. Even saying 'congrats' on someone's retirement seems unnecessary to me because I don't find the retirement to be congratulated by all n' sundry with a big bang. I think retirement is something very peaceful and still a very happy beginning of another personal chapter, but not anything overly attention craving. As I say, work people making a fuss is acceptable to me, but pressurising everyone on this earth who knows me a bit, to shower me with cards/gifts etc. is not my style.

It's just my view and I'm not imposing it on others. Others can have a rave on the retirement occasions, and that's fine. Free country.
Old 07 May 2016, 12:46 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wtf sort of question is this, when you have worked and payed taxes from the age of 15 to 65 and had so many dependants don't you think you have a right to celebrate, just a quick question what culture do you hail from ?
Old 07 May 2016, 07:28 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Retirement warrents more celebration than a birthday as it's an achievement? Sure it's just the day you were born and you didn't do anything to deserve it ! Fair enough an actual day of birth deserves a big celebration but 60/65 years on who really cares ! Retirement on the other hand is celebrating the end of 40/50 years of working hard , providing for family , contributing to society, paying for holidays , weddings , cars , houses.
I think i will will be jumping for joy when i retire (if I'm fit to jump) and will want everyone i know to join in !
The partners (i imagine) are splatering the internet as they are proud that the person has supported the family through life by spending the last 50 years working for it.

There is no more "pressure" for you to buy a card than there is for a birthday but it's a nice way of saying "well done" for sticking at it.

Just think , they could have just went on the dole.
Old 07 May 2016, 08:30 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
wtf sort of question is this, when you have worked and payed taxes from the age of 15 to 65 and had so many dependants don't you think you have a right to celebrate
This basically.

Have to say I don't see the relevance of 'Culture' at all though.

Some folk choose to work until they drop, some never make it to the point where they can retire. If you get the chance to retire and do what you want with your life, then I think that's worthy of a few slaps on the back.

Turbohot, are you just a 'Bah Humbug' kind of guy?
Old 07 May 2016, 09:44 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
wtf sort of question is this, when you have worked and payed taxes from the age of 15 to 65 and had so many dependants don't you think you have a right to celebrate, just a quick question what culture do you hail from ?
Calm down, madscoob. Everyone knows which culture I hail from and it's not exactly a primitive one. Of course they have a right to celebrate anything they like, one of them even celebrate their fluffy dog's birthday within their own family every year and expect people to give them cards and presents for him. The point is that they do not have a right to pressurise others into glorifying the event. Wordly congrats should be sufficient.

You obviously think that retirement is a huge deal for public attention, which you're entitled to. Would you put pressure on your friends, family and acquaintances to kiss the retiree's butt by buying him card and gifts because he has retired; even when you don't throw any celebration party etc.? I think putting such pressure regarding any event is wrong.

Also note that both parties never reciprocate Christmas cards because they want to save trees. Not even a text with 'Thank You for your Christmas Card and have a good one'. But they blatantly forget this do-gooding when it comes to the dog birthday and retirement news.
Old 07 May 2016, 09:53 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
This basically.

Have to say I don't see the relevance of 'Culture' at all though.

Some folk choose to work until they drop, some never make it to the point where they can retire. If you get the chance to retire and do what you want with your life, then I think that's worthy of a few slaps on the back.

Turbohot, are you just a 'Bah Humbug' kind of guy?

LOL I'm not a guy, I'm a female, BBY.

I'm very generous and love buying/making cards and gifts etc. for people, but I don't appreciate being pushed into doing that. I like it to be my genuine wish. I'm always cooking for my friends and getting them useful gifts for their birthdays etc.

I do think that a retirement is an important event as it turns your life around, but my view does lean to having it as a personal pleasure not a public display and public demand.
Old 07 May 2016, 10:01 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed

There is no more "pressure" for you to buy a card than there is for a birthday but it's a nice way of saying "well done" for sticking at it.
Believe me, there was. So much that the ones who have congratulated verbally or text-wise are being criticised by them and will be in their bad books.

My thought in the card involved not the 'sticking at it' nor did the 'dole' reference cross my mind. My freedom-focused thought involved the new doors opening (for them) to gardening, motor home holidays and contesting local council elections; in order to give some meaning to their free time.
Old 07 May 2016, 10:21 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

LOL I'm not a guy, I'm a female, BBY.
Aah the androgyny of internet posting No insult intended.

I get your objection to being pressurised into the celebration. It's hardly a joy if you're an unwilling participant.
I'm still a few years away from the official retirement age, but I haven't been employed by anyone else for over 10 years. I run a small business from home and count myself as semi-retired. I can't tell you what a joy it is not to have to be a part of the 'normal' rat race.
When I was employed in a day job I was always happy for the old boys who made it to retirement. You just never know if you're going to make it to 'freedom' in one piece. I knew far too many people who didn't get there, my father included.
Old 07 May 2016, 10:44 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Aah the androgyny of internet posting No insult intended.

I get your objection to being pressurised into the celebration. It's hardly a joy if you're an unwilling participant.
I'm still a few years away from the official retirement age, but I haven't been employed by anyone else for over 10 years. I run a small business from home and count myself as semi-retired. I can't tell you what a joy it is not to have to be a part of the 'normal' rat race.
When I was employed in a day job I was always happy for the old boys who made it to retirement. You just never know if you're going to make it to 'freedom' in one piece. I knew far too many people who didn't get there, my father included.
LOL not exactly the androgyny or non-binary joy of the internet posting but an effort to keep the judgmental attitudes and sexist derogation at bay and gain a recognition as a human; BBY. Hence the neutral screen name.

I get what you mean. It's also about the nature of your work and your attitude to work as well, I think. For example, I don't think I'd ever retire. I get contracted by others as well as I have my own ventures; long they may continue. In fact, I feel lost without my work and routine during my holidays, so to me, retirement doesn't bear that huge celebratory public importance.
Old 08 May 2016, 06:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL not exactly the androgyny or non-binary joy of the internet posting but an effort to keep the judgmental attitudes and sexist derogation at bay and gain a recognition as a human; BBY. Hence the neutral screen name.

I get what you mean. It's also about the nature of your work and your attitude to work as well, I think. For example, I don't think I'd ever retire. I get contracted by others as well as I have my own ventures; long they may continue. In fact, I feel lost without my work and routine during my holidays, so to me, retirement doesn't bear that huge celebratory public importance.
maybe when you get old and tired you'll see things differently. It's the same for me as passing a driving test, or having a baby. It's a huge change and a step closers to the end
Old 08 May 2016, 07:19 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If I retired early I would expect everyone to say "you must be loaded and I'm surprised you didn't retire earlier you tight **** ". As that's what everyone is like when they think people don't need to work.
Old 08 May 2016, 09:15 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a miserable ****....
I think it's great to see people retire.
They have completed their working life and good luck to them in their retirement