Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PPI cold callers

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2016, 02:39 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI cold callers

I'm sure most of us have had these or still get them. I've not had one for a while but today I took a call and once I had realised who and what it was I wondered what he might say if I questioned him about how he had my number, of course I know how they get them.

So I asked him, where did he get my number from? He response was pathetic, apparently back in 2014 I had a claim and he wanted to find out if it was solved... I asked again who was it I spoke to exactly? At that point he said it doesn't really matter and started is scripted waffle. At that point I just said you've just lied to me haven't you, no he said, yes you have I said. It went quiet then it hung up lol.

Any other ways you've got your own back or winded them up?
Old 22 January 2016, 04:06 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tell them I have just been released from prison, they always hang up fast!!!!
Old 22 January 2016, 05:08 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

had a different version of cold call last week, guy claiming to be from Microsoft and they had noticed some unusual traffic from my pc....
Old 22 January 2016, 05:46 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenm2
had a different version of cold call last week, guy claiming to be from Microsoft and they had noticed some unusual traffic from my pc....
I've had that one - I told them that I was actually an IT Manager working directly for Microsoft and the phone went dead
Old 22 January 2016, 05:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mate of mine has one way of dealing with cold calls.

he makes out he's REALLY interested in whatever they are selling, lets them spiel about ten seconds, then says there's someone at his door and not to hang up and goes away for five minutes.

When he comes back, if they are still there...and many are, he does the same thing only this time there's a pot boiling over.

If they are still there when he comes back, he does the same thing only his mobile is ringing.

He's not had anyone go past fifteen minutes.
Old 22 January 2016, 06:08 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brun
I've had that one - I told them that I was actually an IT Manager working directly for Microsoft and the phone went dead
Or you could go along with it and see how long you can keep them on the phone for without actually allowing them to install something on your computer which you then have to pay for them to remove. 25 minutes is my record, they got me to load up the Event Viewer and then asked me to tell them what I could see on the screen. Clearly he wanted me to say red no entry signs and yellow warning signs, so I said everything but that for as long as I could.

That did lead on to them telling me to connect to a remote share to download a package, but I told them my virus software was saying it was unsafe so wouldn't allow me to. The next attempt was for me to install some standard PC remote control s/w, but then my download speed was shockingly bad, and the estimated time left was over 40 minutes. We switched to another site which brought the d/w time down to 24 minutes.......

At this point the 'manager' joined the call and became very abusive towards me and called me a liar. I said they were the liars and I was pleased I'd wasted a bit of their time. More abuse....click.

For PPI and Pension reviews I do various things depending on where I am and how much time I have

1) Injury- make up a whole raft of serious injuries and make sure you get in that you can't work anymore. String them along for as long as possible until they twig on. The furthest I've got is having both my legs and arms amputated and was due to have my head amputated next week.

2) Injury - have a right go at them and tell them to stop ringing you about the accident that you husband/wife/child died in. You are trying to forgot about it and move on and you lot keep ringing me up and reminding me about the horrific day - go in to gory detail if possible.

3) Pension - Don't have one because the ex has run off with it all.

4) Pension - Don't care because you've got some terminal illness

5) Pension - tell them that you had a call just like this one for a pension review, you followed the advice and now you've lost over £500k as it was all a con.

6) Injury - I had an accident on the way to the toilet - I didn't quite make it. When they ask for further details, basically I got caught and had an accident on the way to the toilet and **** myself. Can I claim for that that?

I did the 'dead' one on the ECML a couple of months back - the bloke sat opposite cracked up when he realised what I was doing and said he was going to try it himself.
Old 22 January 2016, 08:33 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Or you could go along with it and see how long you can keep them on the phone for without actually allowing them to install something on your computer which you then have to pay for them to remove. 25 minutes is my record
Dammit, you've beaten me by a good five minutes (although in my defence, I did have to go out!).

I claimed that the machine was very slow and took over 5 minutes to boot up. Halfway through his spiel, I said "hold on, it's rebooting, have you done that" and frittered away another five minutes of his time