Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

U.S work Visa advice

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2015, 12:00 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U.S work Visa advice

As per title guys, looking for any helpful advice / tips on gaining work Visa for the U.S in the future (considering it as an option). Anyone done it, how was it etc? All advice welcome. I'd also like to hear from anybody who had a police caution and applied for one. I received a caution back in 2007 and am wondering how it might affect the application. I've been reading up on it but would like to hear from somebody who's actually been through the process.

Cheers
Old 22 December 2015, 01:20 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Stroll over here and post up a thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...ship-visas-34/

Very good bunch of people in there and am sure they will have the info you need

Also have a read of this: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/vi...igibility.html
Which specifically mentions ineligibility.

Alas I can't be of much use as I've never tried to apply for a work permit for the US as whenever I was over there I wasn't working per-se, as in, not paid by the US company but by the UK one, and was only there for a month at the longest.

Any specific area of the USA you're thinking about, and any reason why USA and not Canada? (It's not all horrifically cold )

I've got a bit more experience with the Canadian side of things, as that's where I ended up 12 years ago and I'm still here and have no plans to leave. Though if I did want to relocate to the US then it would be a bit easier, I think, as I'm now a Canadian Citizen.
Old 22 December 2015, 11:32 AM
sc00by_d00
Scooby Regular

Default US Visa

I went to Arizona with work earlier this year. Visa applications are done online through the following site

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
Old 22 December 2015, 12:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sc00by_d00
I went to Arizona with work earlier this year. Visa applications are done online through the following site

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
I don't believe that is what the OP is asking about. That's the standard entry visa that you need to get into the US, wether entering on pleasure or business. I think the OP is asking about an actual work permit.
Old 22 December 2015, 02:39 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice so far guys, much appreciated.

It's purely a works visa I would like, not a holiday or business visa.
Old 23 December 2015, 03:16 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

A caution wont be on your permanent record. If anything else is your not allowed in, not legally anyway. Be prepared to jump through lots of hoops to get a green card, lots of forms and biometrics.
Old 23 December 2015, 03:52 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wayne9t9
A caution wont be on your permanent record. If anything else is your not allowed in, not legally anyway. Be prepared to jump through lots of hoops to get a green card, lots of forms and biometrics.
I am not sure that statement is totally correct - an adult caution is spent after 3 months but will remain on PNC thereafter, it can be disclosed for DBS checks etc

It is not a criminal conviction or a sentence (although i think where administered for sexual offences things are a bit different) so look carefully at the wording of questions asked, if you are asked to declare criminal convictions, you my with hold the details, if you are asked to declare convictions or cautions then you need to declare it.

I received an adult caution for taking a **** in the street (doorway of a police station as it happens!) when I was a lad - I would be a bit pissed if that prevents my business trip to California next year. Twenty years on, it still comes up on my security clearance interviews.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 23 December 2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 23 December 2015, 09:57 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Here is a list which mentions the types of offences the USA don't like to admit people into their country
http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-...le-to-the-u-s/