Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Driveway Gates

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2015, 03:49 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Driveway Gates

So recently the wind has battered our driveway gates and sadly they are looking a little worse for wear and cracks are starting to appear, water has also got in to them over the year so they are soft in places. So I've done a quick search online for new gate suppliers and the choice is pretty vast.

Has anyone got and recommended suppliers or builders they could pass on, would much rather go with a recommendation than a unfamiliar company.

The job would be based in Derbyshire and depending on the cost I may want automation fitting also. I should also mention I'd like the gates fitted also. I already have all the dimensions and design I after so just need a trusted supplier if possible.

Thanks all
Old 22 November 2015, 06:01 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

http://boundaryservices.co.uk

Owned and run by a longstanding friend of mine.

Old 22 November 2015, 06:15 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Should also mention I'm going with wood rather than steel.
Old 22 November 2015, 07:04 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedlestone
Should also mention I'm going with wood rather than steel.
Wood gates look good but only to the point they begin to twist, which they will. You need to have a triangulated galvanised frame and build off it with wood. Solid wooden gates are significant in weight so posts really need to be made out of heavy gauge box steel, 4" or 6". If you want brick pillars you will also need to have a box steel spine to stop cracking of brickwork. Automation require trunking and cabling to and from house. Bear in mind in solid gates need heavy capacity motors or control arms.
Old 22 November 2015, 08:37 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

I already have large brick pillars which the current gate posts are fixed to, they have been there for many years from talking to the previous owner with no issues. The gates themselves are not big at all, just wide enough for a sprinter to fit through. I see most gate suppliers also list the automated arms or underground motors for there gates so I would guess they would make sure the correct systems are sent out if ordering both gates and automation through them..

I wouldn't be replacing them if it wasn't for the fact that I can now push the wood in with little pressure from where water has eventually got in and started to rot around the hinge plates.

Last edited by Kedlestone; 22 November 2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 23 November 2015, 09:44 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedlestone
I already have large brick pillars which the current gate posts are fixed to, they have been there for many years from talking to the previous owner with no issues. The gates themselves are not big at all, just wide enough for a sprinter to fit through. I see most gate suppliers also list the automated arms or underground motors for there gates so I would guess they would make sure the correct systems are sent out if ordering both gates and automation through them..

I wouldn't be replacing them if it wasn't for the fact that I can now push the wood in with little pressure from where water has eventually got in and started to rot around the hinge plates.
If you use larch or Russian cedar, should be good for 50 years without treatment/water proof stain. Remember to use stainless fixings as the oils in the wood eat through normal steel. Both woods lighten in colour without treatment, look very much like oak, but cheaper, not by much.

I must of spent nearly a grand on galvanised frame and six foot solid larch gates, but it looks perfect and hasn't twisted at all after several years