Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Well that's tellling them.........

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2015, 12:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Well that's tellling them.........

Says it all really. Wonderful stuff, David

Old 20 November 2015, 12:53 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

That really is telling it how a lot of people see it.
The strange thing is it would seem to be almost a corporate message from the national broadcaster. I say this because he was obviously reciting from a teleprompter which would indicate it's an edited piece, which would imply corporate involvement and approval.
Aunty BBC has got her fighting knickers on
Old 20 November 2015, 01:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it was a personal piece from Andrew Neil

I doubt the BBC had much to with tbh
Old 20 November 2015, 01:33 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Very well put

Thanks for putting it up mate and very well put and said
Old 20 November 2015, 01:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Doubt it's from the Beeb...after all, they are partly responsible for the way the migrants have been welcomed by our government, they have been slanting the so-called refugee problem for months.
Old 20 November 2015, 02:17 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I think it was a personal piece from Andrew Neil

I doubt the BBC had much to with tbh

Agree - that was pure Neil at his best.

D
Old 20 November 2015, 02:29 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent stuff Mr Neil
Old 20 November 2015, 03:26 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I can't see the BBC allowing Neil the leeway to air his personal views without either their tacit approval or subsequent disciplinary actions being instigated as for previous occasions where employees have misused/exploited their priviledged position in similar ways such as Clarkson, Kenny Everett, et al. In such circumstances retribution from the 'Fith Floor' has always been very swift.
I wouldn't disagree that the primary author was Neil, but to make it on to a teleprompter requires the colusion of other departments such as editing and I can't see that happening without authority from higher up, hence my suspicion of corporate BBC approval.
Whatever the corporate position is, I'm not disagreeing with the message, 'ISIS you will be as dust'.
Rock on Andy
Old 20 November 2015, 03:31 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah but apart from that, what have the French done for us?
Old 20 November 2015, 03:40 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

All it needs is for the actions to match the words. Not going to hold my breath. And he will now be under threat a la Charlie Hebdo....
Old 20 November 2015, 04:05 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Dirty cowardly brainwashing scum of this earth
Old 20 November 2015, 04:34 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
Dirty cowardly brainwashing scum of this earth
That sums the bbc up.....what about ISIS
Old 20 November 2015, 04:49 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by donny andi
Old 20 November 2015, 04:51 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
I can't see the BBC allowing Neil the leeway to air his personal views without either their tacit approval or subsequent disciplinary actions being instigated as for previous occasions where employees have misused/exploited their priviledged position in similar ways such as Clarkson, Kenny Everett, et al. In such circumstances retribution from the 'Fith Floor' has always been very swift.
I wouldn't disagree that the primary author was Neil, but to make it on to a teleprompter requires the colusion of other departments such as editing and I can't see that happening without authority from higher up, hence my suspicion of corporate BBC approval.
Whatever the corporate position is, I'm not disagreeing with the message, 'ISIS you will be as dust'.
Rock on Andy
He didn't actually say anything controversial though did he?
Old 20 November 2015, 07:14 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
Back in day Isis was a really good make of steroid heard its name in the gym I was shocked these muppets can't even make a half decent name can't wait till they get nuked off the face off this planet
Old 20 November 2015, 07:30 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
He didn't actually say anything controversial though did he?
That depends on a personal point of view. His statement was mainly based on personal opinion and broadcast using facilities paid for by public subscription, so whilst the content of the piece may not be controversial, his use of a publicly funded organisation (as an employee of that organisation) to express those opinions most definitely is.
Old 20 November 2015, 07:35 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

"Islamist scumbags" could be considered an over generalisation. If he'd have said "Salafist jihadi Islamist scumbags" he'd have been more accurate, but may well have offended al-Qaeda and their supporters.
Old 20 November 2015, 09:12 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

^^^ NUKE THEM n ALL!! Al kafukiwateva
Old 20 November 2015, 09:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

LOL, whilst I see where you are coming from, I don't think that laying a nuclear fallout cloud over their/other countries is in the West's best interest.
Old 20 November 2015, 11:36 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

That depends on a personal point of view. His statement was mainly based on personal opinion and broadcast using facilities paid for by public subscription, so whilst the content of the piece may not be controversial, his use of a publicly funded organisation (as an employee of that organisation) to express those opinions most definitely is.
His statement was a simple juxtaposition between the 'city of love', and the things the French have given the world, against a bunch of murdering *******s, who given nothing to the world.
I don't think there's too much that could be construed as controversial in that. That's his opinion and the opinion of any sane person currently breathing.
Old 21 November 2015, 03:45 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All the bloke and his bosses have done is put him in the firing line, he was probably a willing participant most likely due to his own personal outrage, but what will it achieve, ultimately the people that did this and their supporters will be pleased they got a reaction and some airtime on the establishment tv station of the uk, therefore a propaganda victory for them.

I'd starve them of airtime personally as this sort of reaction is what feeds them and helps them with their goal of causing world wide terror, can't breath or breed without air.
Old 21 November 2015, 08:34 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
His statement was a simple juxtaposition between the 'city of love', and the things the French have given the world, against a bunch of murdering *******s, who given nothing to the world.
I don't think there's too much that could be construed as controversial in that. That's his opinion and the opinion of any sane person currently breathing.
We do agree then that what was said was essentially a personal opinion, but I'll re-state my point again because you seem to have missed it completely.

His statement was mainly based on personal opinion and broadcast using facilities paid for by public subscription, so whilst the content of the piece may not be controversial, his use of a publicly funded organisation (as an employee of that organisation) to express those opinions most definitely is.
Old 21 November 2015, 12:26 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

We do agree then that what was said was essentially a personal opinion, but I'll re-state my point again because you seem to have missed it completely.
The whole programme (which I watch every week) is about peoples (his and his guests) personal opinions.
Usually a lot more controversial than these comments.

Still don't understand why you feel this is a big deal?
Old 21 November 2015, 12:44 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I have said nowhere that it's a big deal.
What I have said is that the use of a public broadcast facility funded by public subscription for expression of privately held opinion is controversial.
The fact that you and I are having this debate surely supports that statement
Old 22 November 2015, 11:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I don't want to pay for a BBC that just reports RTAs on the M25. I want to hear opinions from an eclectic range of people especially ones that know what they are talking about.

But I would expect the Beeb to draw a veil over extreme speakers perhaps spouting IS propaganda or pure racism.

There seems to be a lot of anti-Beeb feeling on this board and I don't really know why.

I've watched TV in many countries and the Beeb is about the best there is.

It has some great presenters - take James Naughtie from Today for example, or if you want your kids to appreciate the English language then listen to Kate Adie's From our own Correspondent.

Neil is also up there with the top crew.

David
Old 22 November 2015, 02:16 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
There seems to be a lot of anti-Beeb feeling on this board and I don't really know why.
Where to start? Suppression of the Balen report, 28-gate, 100 days of UKIP just before an election, Great European Disaster Movie, the deliberate misrepresentation in order not to upset people e.g Rotherham perpetrators described as Asian, economic migrants not claiming asylum in first safe country described as refugees, the one sided reporting, the description of political groups not following the BBC lines as "far right", the omission of material facts to give a full picture e.g. protest marches in EU countries, rapes in Sweden, the sneering aggressive interviewing of politicians not of BBC mindset, the group think mentality, the hidden EU funding that is never admitted and actively try to hide through refusal of FOI requests, the constant drip feeding of global warming propaganda into every program (esp in run up to Paris conference) etc etc etc

Hope that helps as a starter....
Old 22 November 2015, 02:25 PM
Shax
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
All the bloke and his bosses have done is put him in the firing line, he was probably a willing participant most likely due to his own personal outrage, but what will it achieve, ultimately the people that did this and their supporters will be pleased they got a reaction and some airtime on the establishment tv station of the uk, therefore a propaganda victory for them.

I'd starve them of airtime personally as this sort of reaction is what feeds them and helps them with their goal of causing world wide terror, can't breath or breed without air.
EXACTLY! why are these small time scumbags getting so much recognition!
Old 23 November 2015, 08:26 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I don't want to pay for a BBC that just reports RTAs on the M25. I want to hear opinions from an eclectic range of people especially ones that know what they are talking about.

But I would expect the Beeb to draw a veil over extreme speakers perhaps spouting IS propaganda or pure racism.

I've watched TV in many countries and the Beeb is about the best there is.

It has some great presenters - take James Naughtie from Today for example, or if you want your kids to appreciate the English language then listen to Kate Adie's From our own Correspondent.

Neil is also up there with the top crew.

David
I have mentioned the BBC a bit in this thread so I'll answer for that.
I'm not anti BBC. The BBC sets world class standards for reporting and presentation of news matters. However as pointed out by warrenm2 it can be very one sided in it's presentation of 'how things are'.
Presenters? Again I think they are mainly world class, including Andrew Neil.
My point has only been that to permit an employee exclusive national air time to expound his personal opinions (re 'scumbags') is controversial.
David, if you were to try and grab some BBC air time to air your opinions about ISIS you wouldn't have a hope in hell of doing so.
That's my point.
Old 23 November 2015, 10:30 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
100 days of UKIP just before an election....
wasn't that Channel 4
Old 23 November 2015, 10:31 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

and I doubt Andrew Neil is "employed" as such

I suspect he is a contractor

Clarkson expressed a lot of personal opinions

Quick Reply: Well that's tellling them.........