Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW emissions scandal

Bought a new passat in 2013
Today received this
Name:  9B3B3C2E-DAD0-4D47-B300-D81B707DF5B2_zpsxuixvr2j.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  185.6 KB

Now I don't really care that it's worse emissions than stated (I work for Shell in oil and gas industry)

I never realised this but when the car is in neutral it doesn't rev past 2k revs.
This obviously isn't high enough for the MOT (2.5k)
In order to allow the car to rev out you have to push the ESP button and it then revs out.
It turns out by doing this your switching to a totally different MAP just for the emissions test!

Now surely the car I have bought in good faith knowing it has low emissions and I'm doing my bit
For the planet has been miss sold? It's simply not what it says on the tin.

Where does this leave VW?
Surely I could claim and either return the car or be refunded in some way as i would imagine the second hand value of my car is now lower than it would have been due to this?

In reality if it does effect the second hand value I will just keep the car for 10 years

Opinions?
Old 13 October 2015, 05:41 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep, for the very reasons you've pointed out, they're bound to face some major class-action law-suits over this (more likely because performance is below advertised after the 'technical fix' has been applied, than because emissions were higher beforehand), or cases of individual people such as yourself either demanding a refund of some kind, or using the situation as leverage to get other freebies out of them. What with that and the fines from the EPA and who knows how many other US and/or EU departments, their total bill for the fiasco is going to make BP's payouts for Deepwater Horizon look like pocket-change.

On a totally unrelated subject, do you really want to be making your car reg, VIN and full first and last name publicly viewable as you are here in that picture?
Old 13 October 2015, 05:53 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Its quite ironic,

All these people worring about MOT's, getting cats hot, additives. Egr cleaning products, and in reality they were moot, as the cars had there own built in emmissions software...

Lets be honest, how many of us are so outraged that we need to remonstrate.

If you had been told you have a car that would pass the MOT no matter what when you bought it, would we have taken the moral high ground, and insisted it was 100 % emmisions friendly.

We'd have been straight to the mappers, and had some extra ponys saddled up

The MOT is only snapshot taken at the point of test. so if you lambda or cat failed driving away from the test centre, unless your car threw a CEL, youd be none the wiser until the next MOT

What would be the double whammy of irony, would have been the press reporting global warming / carbon emmisions had been significantly lowered following stringent emmisions changes lol

At worst you'll get a remap, cant see them changing engines TBH

mart
Old 13 October 2015, 05:55 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd

On a totally unrelated subject, do you really want to be making your car reg, VIN and full first and last name publicly viewable as you are here in that picture?

You advertise your VIN and reg on a daily basis, as do 90% of us, whats the problem with that?

Mart
Old 13 October 2015, 06:05 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
You advertise your VIN and reg on a daily basis, as do 90% of us, whats the problem with that?

Mart
Correct I couldn't give a flying frog it's not got my address.

What's somebody going to do with vin?
Old 13 October 2015, 06:05 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360

Mart
I was thinking exactly the same. Then again, you know what scoobynet is like. Full of dodgy geazers. What if someone clones his Passat, you know. Things like that do happen. Ok, you do shout out loud your reg on the road when you drive your car around, but you don't exactly shout out your VIN number, to be fair.

BTW Cairan, good choice of car. I also drive the tank. Shame about this emission fraud. Shame on VAG dodgers.
Old 13 October 2015, 06:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ciaran
Correct I couldn't give a flying frog it's not got my address.

What's somebody going to do with vin?
TBH if someone is to dodge, they could dodge it on your local garage level where you take it for any sort of work etc.

No need to be paranoid, I agree.

People here are too cautious. They don't trust one another at all. They can't probably trust themselves either.
Old 13 October 2015, 09:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Your Passat has a DPF; regardless of map or software it will breeze through all current and future MOT SOOT tests...that is all the mot tests on diesel emissions..black smoke. A very crude measurement via a glorified smoke detector (laser and calibrated photodiode in a box - a CD player is more complex) An intact DPF gives a near zero reading on a Mot smoke test. Unlike a car without one fitted.

This saga is mainly about Nox emissions- it will be a very long time that's tested at Mot; no garage will be willing to replace all their costly equipment on the government's whim. And what if it's not Euro 5 emission compliant? Who cares! Nobody tests it after the car is sold and used; and do you honestly think it'll remain within euro 5 limits by the time it's ten years old with 100k on the clock when all the inlet tract is gunked up with sludge from the Egr and oil breathers?

So the only thing I'd want to know is fuel consumption and reliability; does this "service action" increase fuel consumption or reduce reliability? Yes or no ? If it's it's yes I'd want compensation ( or not have the work done).

As for vin; All I need to get an entire vehicle's details is just the reg number; the Dvla sell it to us. Just as well as it makes ordering parts a breeze.
Old 13 October 2015, 10:35 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Your Passat has a DPF; regardless of map or software it will breeze through all current and future MOT SOOT tests...that is all the mot tests on diesel emissions..black smoke. A very crude measurement via a glorified smoke detector (laser and calibrated photodiode in a box - a CD player is more complex) An intact DPF gives a near zero reading on a Mot smoke test. Unlike a car without one fitted.

This saga is mainly about Nox emissions- it will be a very long time that's tested at Mot; no garage will be willing to replace all their costly equipment on the government's whim. And what if it's not Euro 5 emission compliant? Who cares! Nobody tests it after the car is sold and used; and do you honestly think it'll remain within euro 5 limits by the time it's ten years old with 100k on the clock when all the inlet tract is gunked up with sludge from the Egr and oil breathers?

So the only thing I'd want to know is fuel consumption and reliability; does this "service action" increase fuel consumption or reduce reliability? Yes or no ? If it's it's yes I'd want compensation ( or not have the work done).

As for vin; All I need to get an entire vehicle's details is just the reg number; the Dvla sell it to us. Just as well as it makes ordering parts a breeze.
My main concern would be if the alterations affect the performance. The ongoing crusade for stricter emissions standards probably passed a sensible practical level about 15 years ago and the way I drive mpg worries are somewhat pointless.
Old 13 October 2015, 11:26 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ciaran
Bought a new passat in 2013

Now surely the car I have bought in good faith knowing it has low emissions and I'm doing my bit
For the planet has been miss sold? It's simply not what it says on the tin.
Is that really the reason you decided to buy that car?
Old 14 October 2015, 01:01 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

My one year old VW Beetle also affected. I like the way it goes now, not sure if I will get the recall done. As has been said they don't test for NOX and SOX at MOT. Need to wait and see what the fix is, could be a Urea system.

If it is done, it will be straight to Superchips for a 170bhp map. if that is still possible after their tinkering.
Old 14 October 2015, 07:52 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

We should all be concerned about emissions. If car manufacturers cannot meet current standards without cheating then it's time they were forced and penalised to develop more efficient emission engines whether electric hybrid or hydrogen
Old 14 October 2015, 08:32 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Of course it is, it's the reason everybody who owns a VAG group car affected by this 'scandal' bought a diesel...
Old 14 October 2015, 08:34 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

seems to be affecting most diesel cars now
Old 14 October 2015, 09:33 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
No not in the slightest. But when I smell compo I am bothered :0
Needed a car with enough room in the inside for the pram and dogs but not a car so big the wife would crash it.

It's most likely going to be replaced by either a E63 or RS6 as I miss having a quick daily
Old 15 October 2015, 09:23 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my letter this morning too. An A3 TDI Quattro 2.0 170.
Old 15 October 2015, 10:10 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As if it's not bad enough buying a new VW these days, my poor son picked up his brand new T5 van 2 weeks ago and today he pulled away from a junction and the side loading door fell off! No joke the door as he put his foot down slid open and fell clean off the van! 2 lads in a van behind him helped him pick it up and put it in his van. Un fooking believable! He'd saved up for it for ages God bless him, he's gutted!
Old 15 October 2015, 10:18 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S204Darren
As if it's not bad enough buying a new VW these days, my poor son picked up his brand new T5 van 2 weeks ago and today he pulled away from a junction and the side loading door fell off! No joke the door as he put his foot down slid open and fell clean off the van! 2 lads in a van behind him helped him pick it up and put it in his van. Un fooking believable! He'd saved up for it for ages God bless him, he's gutted!
Couldn't have been shut properly? Did it slide open and basically slide off the end of the runners?
Still a bit poor though
Old 15 October 2015, 10:24 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to mention prior this this when he first left home the icon on the dash showed the side loading door was open he pulled over the door was shut tight but he opened it and shut it again then pulled away and it fell off. To be fair VW have given him a courtesy van but he's gutted. This shouldn't happen.
Old 15 October 2015, 10:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Meh. I have to deal with a entire fleet of fiat Scudos that now have the side doors held on with ratchet straps! Despite repeatedlyreplacing the rollers and runners, the company's employees have got that fed up of them falling off they now just strap them shut just in case!

Also like Vw They also have emissions issues.....the pikeys keep nicking the cats out the exhaust.
Old 15 October 2015, 11:47 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

This scandal makes me glad that my drive is a '67 Citroen. It can pump out whatever and no-one will bat an eyelid.
Old 16 October 2015, 09:11 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Just got the letter on my Skoda superb 4x4 170..... Not really surprised, as I had a T4 from new, sold with an electrical fault ( no wipers ! Can`t find any thing wrong, sir), rust bubble after 2000 miles ( they claimed it was a stonechip after poking a biro into it) 3 sets of glow plugs , and a water pump in under 30000 miles. VW T series vans are just style over substance, a bit like Audis !
Old 20 October 2015, 01:51 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Also had my letter through for my 2012 Q5, which was a surprise as I checked the VIN on Audi's website 2 weeks ago and it was showing as not effected. then last week I got the same letter as above. What's strange is mine has the adBlue system already fitted? So in my case I wonder what change they would make to it, can only imagine it will be a map change etc, im just hoping it wont effect the performance.
Old 20 October 2015, 02:29 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I would assume that vw will be subject to the real on road simulation emission test. This is to ensure that they actually meet euro5/6 levels. Seen as virtually no car meets these emission levels at the moment. Vw will be used as an example. I'd be very surprised if performance wasn't adversely affected, either acceleration and fuel economy

Last edited by andy97; 20 October 2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 20 October 2015, 03:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

personally I would not have anything done whatsoever

(unless my car was not performing how I thought it should)