Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nuisance calls..

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2015, 06:16 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuisance calls..

Any way of getting rid of them completely ?

Registered with TPS ages ago, but seemed to be getting more and more calls.I would estimate around 6-8 a day at the moment....

Also getting them on the mobiles,probably 3-4 a day each......

I realise that its gonna be hard to stop on the mobiles,but any chance on the landlines ?

Any idea's ?
Old 18 February 2015, 06:21 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

You using an iPhone by any chance? You can block callers now, took me a while to get them all but I don't have any stupid calls now. Obviously I can't stop withheld numbers calling though. Don't know about the land line, sorry.
Old 18 February 2015, 06:22 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Yea..

Iphone..... Go on then,gimme a clue..

Editted... Just sorted the ones in my call list... Never knew you could.

Cheers

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 18 February 2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 18 February 2015, 06:27 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
Yea.. Iphone..... Go on then,gimme a clue..
Iphone 4 or above?

Have a look in your call lists, missed calls or whatever. Find the number that rang you and tap on the "i" to right of it. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see it says "block this caller". Do that to all the numbers you don't like and eventually the calls will stop.
Old 18 February 2015, 06:28 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Just seen your edit, good job. If I get a call from a new number I just block it straight away. Job done!
Old 18 February 2015, 06:33 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

I'd like to know a solution to the land line if there is one.. had some goon trying to give me free petrol vouchers yesterday with 'no catch'.. getting the same kind of ****e at least 5times a day.
Old 18 February 2015, 06:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can't block on mobile if its " no number" call afaik

And on landline forget it , I dont pick up at all anymore

Unless recognise number anyway
Old 18 February 2015, 07:00 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

We were tortured by calls so I don't have a land line phone plugged in any more. No point with mobile contracts being the way they are now. I only have a land line for broadband and that's it.
Old 18 February 2015, 07:14 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

You can get devices like these for the landline. If you get a call from one of these people, hit the block now button and their number is always blocked. You'll need the caller ID service on your line. It can block withheld and international calls if you want to.

CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I bought an Obi110 device which is very similar but I control the block list from my PC via the web interface. I've blocked all international, withheld and American numbers plus a list of about 30 common nuisance callers. We've gone from 3-4 day to no nuisance calls now. The Obi110 isn't the easiest of things to configure though but it can do a load of extra stuff.
Old 18 February 2015, 07:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Guess that's possibility. I just turn volume down

If someone's genuine they'll leave a message
Old 18 February 2015, 07:43 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Call blocker has a option that blocks unknown/private numbers or contacts not in your phone,
So only people you know can call you.
Old 18 February 2015, 07:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

You wouldn't get any business at all though
Old 19 February 2015, 07:27 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

I had / have the same problem on my mobile phone and found the app "should I answer" its basically a data base of unwelcome numbers that other uses have rejected and you can set it to automatically bin the call before even one ring on the handset. If its a new number you get the option to rate or block the number and it gets added to the data base.
I use it on android so not sure its available for iPhone.

Brilliant little app, I must get 10 -15 a day on my mobile for PPI, Frozen Pension, Hearing damage in the work place, The accident I had in the last 3 years, Do I want a new boiler......

I also got a set of these BT handsets at home
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt65...quad-8H3K.html

They also allow you to block withheld, International numbers etc right across the board, you can then add numbers to the block list and the phone remains silent when they call.

I was also registered with the TPS (Telephone Preference Service) where once you register your numbers by law you are meant to be left alone by these companies. But it seemed it was being ignored so reregistered the numbers and the calls dropped off.

Amazing how few numbers ring the house phone now.

Alternatively you can answer and when they ask to speak to ????
Say yes I will just put him on and then leave put the phone on the table, its quite funny to see how long these muppets stay on hold for
Old 19 February 2015, 01:43 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Listened to an interesting prog on the radio a little while back saying that basically BT had shot its bolt with landlines - they are so horrifically abused now by nuisance callers that a very large percentage of people pretty much don't answer it anymore.... its gone full circle.

That's why they paid 'whatever it takes' £billions to buy back into the mobile phone arena with their purchase of EE, as land lines are dead to most people now, especially in the younger demographic who don't even consider one anymore.
Old 19 February 2015, 01:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

flipside though , iv several nearly retired customers who simply wont entertain idea of owing mobile phone / actaully using it
Old 19 February 2015, 02:26 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I have been putting nuisance calls on my reject list for years, there must several hundred now. Re landline I hardly ever use it anymore and would quite happily ditch it apart from in-laws ring on it. Well there's a reason
Old 20 February 2015, 08:59 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

have a look at this

http://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-...he-new-bt8500/
Old 20 February 2015, 09:09 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I promise I will stop calling you
Old 20 February 2015, 09:43 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I bought one of these:

Gigaset C620A Cordless Phone with Answer Machine and: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Gigaset C620A Cordless Phone with Answer Machine and: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It's set up so that anonymous calls don't ring at all. I also leave the answering machine on, with a recorded message informing callers that unless their number comes up on caller ID, the phone won't ring.

People who make nuisance calls are generally both persistent and as thick as pig sh*t - but even they generally work out that phoning a machine over and over again isn't going to get results.

The phone counts missed calls, and that's the only way I know they've given up even trying!
Old 23 February 2015, 03:06 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Another +1 for the BT 8500
Old 24 February 2015, 08:04 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got anonymous call reject added to my home phone and all they do is spoof numbers to the switch which allows them through .. I just can't call my house from work any more
Old 24 February 2015, 09:29 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

On CLI being presented...
UK call centres are meant to sign up to a code or practice and use calling line ID. A reputable business will do this. Also they may use oversea's call centre's but if they have a UK arm, then it will be a UK number presented. So really a CLI should be presented from a UK business.

There have been some big fines for these UK business that have caused a nuisance. So most UK businesses will try to do the right thing. And I know from personal experience UK call centre managers do treat the methods of cold calling with importance to make sure they are following the rules.

Oversea's call centres with no UK business usually do what they want (no number, spoofed or an International number) and being oversea's they simply ignore the code or practice.

On not answering
Most diallers are automatic so a real call centre agent is not connected untul the dialler recognises a human. There are some clever algorithums and rules that mean a decent dialler has a pretty high success rate of spotting the difference between human, answering machine or no answer.

So don't be fooled into thinking that just because they have rung 100 times that any human was involved in that. Dialling calls is cheap and if they detect answer machine or just ringing, then they simply re-queue the call for later.

The phones that ignore calls are probably best, though if a number is presented I prefer to answer the call, then when I recognise it's a dialler, then make sure that it goes to a human (by speaking or pressing a number). I am then silent. Agents are sometimes remunerated on calls successful or when they sell something. In my little way I have cost someone money.
Old 24 February 2015, 09:35 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Don't know what the fuss is about

Leave it fairly low call volume
On answer phone
Check it twice a day for messages left

Anyone who's worthwhile will leave a message

Relax
Old 24 February 2015, 04:46 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I got anonymous call reject added to my home phone and all they do is spoof numbers to the switch which allows them through .. I just can't call my house from work any more
We did the same with BT, costs £5 a month. It has stopped about 90% of calls, but as you say they also seem to have a way of hiding behind a local phone number and getting through that way. It's easy to set up, but I might have to go down the BT8500 route instead.

And likewise, I can't call home from my work as my numer is inside a corporate network, and also a friend who has his phone through talk talk can't call my number either.

I wonder if the BT8500 blocks international calls?
Old 24 February 2015, 06:59 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

bt8500 give out a message - something like :: "Bt Callguard is protecting this line. Please say your name, then press the hash key to be connected." You can then chose to answer call or not.. :: Given the message, most sales/nuisance callers will hang up
Old 25 February 2015, 12:11 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

The phone does not ring while the caller is leaving a message. Only once they hit the hash key does it ring.

And once you accept a friendly number, they automatically get put through bypassing the message.

The 8500 bloody brilliant.