Nuisance calls

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2004, 10:13 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuisance calls

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has advice on dealing with nuisance calls. A relative of mine is receiving these calls both at home and at work. It appears that a couple of different people are making the calls.

Their job means that their work direct dial number is available to anyone wishing to search for it.

The relative is a BT customer at home and has anonymous call rejection turned on. This has stopped nearly all of the calls, but with PAYG SIMs being cheap and anonymous, a few have still got through.

The BT website is entirely unhelpful which suprised me. I know that the number can be changed free of charge and made ex-directory, but that's the least preferred option at the moment due to the inconvienience.

We cannot think of any personal issues which are causing this, so it is not likely to be anyone we know well.

Any advice?

Cheers!
Alex
Old 14 May 2004, 11:08 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Did you look at this on BT's website ?

http://www.bt.com/customerservices/c..._work_together
Old 14 May 2004, 11:42 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Simple- Phone BT and they will sort it. Any BT number will get you through to the relevant department if you explain about the nuisance calls.

Ask you local plod shop to request the nuisance numbers from BT and Bob's your uncle.

Call BT, they are shít hot on this topic.
Old 14 May 2004, 12:12 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

WWSD - doh! Even did a search for "Nusiance Calls" and couldn't find that I did find it a little odd, ah well cheers for the link.

Spoon, I think I will give them a call. The person is reluctant to take action and would rather just "sit it out" but I'm just in a mood to sort the buggers out!

Cheers guys,
Alex
Old 14 May 2004, 12:14 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Yes BT take this sort of thing very seriously. We had this prob a few years ago and they couldn't have been more helpful. They have a special department for dealing with nuisance calls. Please ring them right away, this sort of thing is extremely upsetting. Ever since our troubles, we have been ex directory and I can never see us going back "public", a business is different I know but there are still ways of dealing with it.
Good Luck
Old 14 May 2004, 12:17 PM
Pawlus
Scooby Newbie

Default A couple of very abusive calls

Your particular problem reminded me of a few episodes when I was just knee high to a grasshopper.

My dad used to have a buy and sell business so our telephone number was put up everywhere. We had a fair amount of joke and foul language calls but the most serious was when a caller claiming to be the police said he wanted to speak to my father in connection with a murder enquiry. My mother who took the call was hysterically upset by the time the call ended as she had no way of contacting my father who was out at the time (1970s - pre mobiles ! how did we manage ?). A neighbour who came around to calm my mother down decided to phone the police to clarify the information who simply dismissed it as a crank call .

Another relative started receiving sinister calls (1970s again) saying he was watching the house and knew when the Husband was out. This carried on for many weeks and then even started posting letters with horrific satanic messages. The police were involved and actually traced the sicko but let him off with a warning !.... My relatives were not given the identity of the individual so never did find out who it was.

I suppose these tales just show how sick some people are and get their kicks from frightening people. It also makes me feel grateful for the advances in technology and crime detection as a whole so hopefully this type of crime is now a rarity.

Sorry if this is not much help Alex but just thought I would share and I hope your relative gets the problem sorted soon.

Anyone else had any experiences ?
Old 14 May 2004, 12:35 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

handy hint #45 - don't use search functions inside websites - they never work IMHO

I just googled "BT nuciance call"

Trending Topics

Old 14 May 2004, 01:35 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

And what help was it may I ask?

Did you mean: BT nuisance call

www.bollyteens.com :: View topic - »*«´¨`My So Called Life ...... iz not the 1st time I got a call like this and ... It becomes a nuciance when your Job takes you travelling all ... Kajol_14 BT Time Keeper Age: 15 Joined: 03 Jun 2003 ...
www.bollyteens.com/ phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1928&start=40 - 101k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Did you mean to search for: BT nuisance call

Old 14 May 2004, 01:36 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Hint #46, when giving hints, get it right