Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

another child savaged by a dog...

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2002, 07:13 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

something really needs to be done about allowing people to keep dangerous animals as 'pets'.... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04 June 2002, 07:23 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Problem is its getting hotter and some animals go mad when it heats up....

Sad thing is it will keep happening
Old 04 June 2002, 07:26 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I just can't understand why people feel the need to own such beasts
Old 04 June 2002, 07:48 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Not again - We've had this argument and no one is going to win it - same old stuff - It's not the Dog it's the owner, It's not the car it's the driver, it's not the government it's that to$$er Blair bla bla bla......
Old 04 June 2002, 09:19 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The thing is Uncle Buck they are not always beasts that do this....

The heat has affected a number of different types of dogs, not just the aggressivly know ones...

Not a lot that can be done
Old 04 June 2002, 09:20 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i've only got one comment top make on this. guy near me has just got off with assaulting his wife (partner) and kids. broke the kids arm. probably not the first time. And people complain about dogs? pity we can't get sh*tbags like this sorted out first.
And yes, she has taken him back.
Alasdair
Old 04 June 2002, 10:36 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Most of the time its down to owners,NO dog should be left with children NEVER!!!!!!even if you think your dogs fine with kids.
if the dog escapes its the owners fault,all GOOD owners should have responsibility for their dog and keep them away from these problems.
BTW why do the papers/tv seem to have a mad month or so on dog attacks????im sure dogs bite people all year round.
Old 04 June 2002, 10:42 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

maybe it's like Plantie says - it's when the weather gets warmer that they go more crazy?
Old 04 June 2002, 10:52 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Angry

Does anyone on here know the full story ???? did the child tease the dog in any way ???? My next door neighbour has a rotty and I must say it is the softess sack of bones going , but I still treat the dog with respect as even the best tempered dog can turn for no reason.
When I see post like why do people have these dogs it makes me think what the hell is it to do with them !!!!! Do the dog owners tell you how to run your life ????? if no get of there back !!!!
Old 04 June 2002, 10:58 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

BB - that is one *wierd* reply.....
Old 04 June 2002, 11:07 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

As said, been done before. But until you have a Rottie,Staffi or the likes in your home it is hard to pass judgment. I must say it sickens me to hear of these attacks
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=98671
Old 04 June 2002, 11:08 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

All I'm asking is do you know the whole story ?? What was the child doing when it attacked ?? I doubt if the news programs have all the info , would they report that a child was teasing the animal and then it attacked ?? Who's fault is it then ??
Old 04 June 2002, 11:13 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I'm with Uncle Buck on this one.
Old 04 June 2002, 11:22 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Yep - having a big biting machine around the house is asking for trouble. What's wrong with hamsters or even a chinchilla.
Old 04 June 2002, 11:25 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

I rather like fish as there is less **** to clear up and you don't have to take the for a walk
Old 05 June 2002, 12:06 AM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

jack,

as you say, surely life is complicated enough without the need for being responsible for a slavering psycho as a companion!?

actually - that sounds lke the missus

[Edited by uncle buck - 6/5/2002 12:08:20 AM]
Old 05 June 2002, 12:18 AM
Brin
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

I see where Big Bear is coming from.....was the child, for example, teasing the dog? Not always the child's fault as in some cases they don't understand.....But i get annoyed when the media jump onto the lastest story "fad". It is the owners fault and not the dog !
Old 05 June 2002, 10:25 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Always makes me laugh when people say theyre taking the dog for a walk. They are not, theyre taking it for a ****. Only make sure its not outside theyre own house. Oh no theyll take it to the park where the kids are playing or the local footy pitch so the players can slide around in dog ****. Nice.

Another thing why do people who own rotties and pit bull etc always look such bloody irresponsible louts. Usually skinhead type haircut , 10 earings and tattoos. Theyre dog usually wears a studded or spiky collar as well as being called something like Tyson.

Chip.
Old 05 June 2002, 10:51 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Arrow

The old argument surfaces again

For those that don't know, we have 2 chinchillas and a Rottie.

Believe me, the dog isn't the most dangerous one

On a serious note, I agree that it is unacceptable for anyone to be attacked in an unprovoked attack by any dog.

What is also unnacceptable is the manner in which the media report. I can guarentee you that there were more attacks by smaller dogs over the period than by Rottweilers or whatever. But then, a bite from a Jack Russell doesn't sell news or make headlines, does it?

Its simple, big dogs are stronger and have bigger teeth. They do more damage.

But if you ban them on that basis, you are going to have to ban fast cars and bikes for being too powerful.

You are going to have to ban fireworks (lets be honest, there are more injuries from fireworks than big dogs)

Where do you stop?

As Big Bear has said, we never get the whole story.

I've often got a few scratches from playing with my dog, that would be painful to a small child. They are not caused by agression though. Have you never seen two large dogs playing together? Its all growling and teeth, but they have fur to deflect any damage. Humans don't.

When playing, our Rottie can can reduce certain "toys" to scrap in minutes. She will grab, shake and throw them about. Just like what appears to have happened in the most recent attack. But the dog should know the difference between a destructable toy and a small child.

Clearly, though, no dog should be left alone with kids. Period.

By the same token, no kids should be allowed to play in the neighbours garden with an unknown dog FFS!!!!!!!

And certainly, no dog should be allowed to "escape".

Kids and many adults don't know about dog behavior, territorial issues and how to play safely with dogs.

I'm not saying for one minute that this has been the case here though. We don't know all the facts either way.

If the dogs have attacked, particularly when unprovoked, they should be destroyed and there is no question to that.

The problem is, dogs can hurt children when playing with them. That is not an attack and does not make a dog dangerous.

Yes, the dogs play a part, but it IS the owner's responsibility first and foremost. It is also the responsible parent or adult's responsibility to ensure the safety of the children.

You wouldn't let your kids play on a busy road, beside water, or near a cliff face unsupervised, would you?

Should be no different for letting them play in gardens with unknown dogs. As many have pointed out in the past, the kids don't understand the potential dangers.

D
Old 05 June 2002, 11:08 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

What's wrong with hamsters or even a chinchilla.

Clearly the person who wrote this has never been bitten by a Chinchilla. They can be vicious - and I've got the scars to prove it.
Old 05 June 2002, 11:12 AM
IanA
Scooby Regular

Dogs should never be unsupervised with young children that don't belong to the dog's owner (or vice versa).

Funny how when a dog goes bad they blame the owner but when a child goes bad (and let's face it, far more misery is created by children than animals) they blame the teachers, TV, video games, the government, anyone but the owners...
Old 05 June 2002, 11:46 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

True. A friend has Chinchillas and they're little ***** and bad pets. It was just an example.
Her rats are much better pets. They love beer and they're always stealing my **** too.

Old 05 June 2002, 11:53 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

But when you look at it, we have a ROYAL Society for the Protection of Animals but only a NATIONAL Society for the Protection of Children.

Children are far worse than dogs anyway. Most of them at least know that what they are doing is wrong. Can't coumt the number of times I told my friend's 4 year old brother not to run across the room and launch himself at the labrador who, fortunately, just used to look miffed and eventually go and sit outside. He knew he shouldn't do that but carried on. Yet if Bonny had turned on him, she would be the one to be put down.
Old 05 June 2002, 12:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with EVERYTHING Diablo says.

We don't know the whole story, but having a friend who has a Rottweiler as a pet, I think they are a lovely breed of dog.
Old 05 June 2002, 12:38 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Things we have to ban because they CAN be dangerous;

1. WOMEN
2. MEN
3. TEENAGERS
4. DOGS
5. CATS
6. HORSES
7. CARS
8. LORRIES
9. GUNS
10. SCOOBYNETTERS

Vote for you top 3 (add any I've missed) !
Old 05 June 2002, 12:57 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Talking

BREATHING

It's been proven that everybody who has ever died was once a breather. It's an addiction and highly dangerous. From a very early point in life you can't live without breathing and if you try, you end up in all sorts of trouble.

If you're going to ban things that hold the "potential" to be dangerous then everything would be banned.

=Wrap things in cotton wool - oh but cotton wool can be stuffed up the nose and block the nasal passages.
=Baked beans - when young a chap inhaled a baked bean which lodged itself in his skull and caused endless headaches and tempremental behaviour
=Any Animal anywhere - they all have teeth / claws / stingers / defences of some kind. The daddy-long-legs is actually more poisonous per se than the Viper but its teeth cannot penetrate human skin.
=Any Human anywhere - comes equipped to kill with hands, legs, head as weapons.
Old 05 June 2002, 01:16 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Statistically speaking you are more likely to get run over by a runaway JCB in Tibet than you are to get convicted of car jacking in London.

So I say let's ban JCBs - Who wants to sign my petition ?